Charles H. Lange
Charles H. Lange is one of the prominent and successful exponents of agricultural and live-stock industry in his native township and county, and his finely improved landed estate of two hundred acres includes the old homestead place on which he was born, in Section 15, Cox Creek township. Charles Henry Lange was here born on the 16th of April, 1872, and he is a son of Henry and Louisa (Zahrndt) Lange, both natives of Germany. Henry Lang was a child of three years at the time of his parents' immigration to America and the family home was first established in Indiana, whence removal was later made to Ohio, where he was reared to manhood and gained a good common-school education. At the age of twenty years Henry Lange became a pioneer settler in Clayton county, Iowa, and through his energy and well ordered endeavors he reclaimed and improved one of the valuable farm properties of Cox Creek township. He was one of the well known and highly honored pioneer citizens of the county at the time of his death, which occurred on the 7th of May, 1903, and his venerable widow still resides in this county, where she is held in affectionate regard by all who know her. Emma, the eldest of. the children, is the wife of John Marshall and they reside at Gold Bar, Washington; William now resides in the city of Dubuque; Otto and Ida are deceased; Laura is the wife of William Reichart, of Littleport; Charles H., of this review, was the next in order of birth; Hugo resides at DeKalb, Illinois, and Raymond at Elkader, the judicial center of Clayton county; Mamie is the wife of Gustav Mentzel, of Cox Creek township. Charles H. Lange has been from his early youth closely associated with the work and management of the fine old homestead farm which he now owns and occupies and which, with its modern improvements and general air of thrift and prosperity, is consistently to be termed one of the model farms of Clayton county, the place being devoted to diversified agriculture and to the raising of good grades of live stock. He profited fully by the advantage afforded in the local schools and it is interesting to note that at the present time he is serving as secretary of the school board of the district in which he himself acquired his early education, this office having been held by him since 1912. His political allegiance is given to the Republican party, and he is affiliated with the Masons, the Royal Neighbors and the Modern Woodmen of America. His wife holds membership in the Royal Neighbors and also the Order of the Eastern Star. They are active communicants of the Lutheran church and have a wide circle of friends in their native county. On the 16th of January, 1901, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Lange to Miss Minnie Ortman, who was born in Volga township, this county, and who is a daughter of Henry and Sophia (Musfeldt) Ortman, the former a native of Germany and the latter of the state of New York. Mr. Ortman was thirteen years of age when he came with his parents to Clayton county and he was numbered among the representative farmers of Volga township for many years prior to his retirement and removal to the village of Littleport, where he and his wife now reside, as does also William, the eldest of their children; Martha, the second child, is the wife of John Bock, of Elkader; Mrs. Lange was the next in order of birth and her twin brother, Louis, is now living on the old home place; Ilda is the wife of Elmer Gifford, of Littleport, and at the parental home in that village remain the three younger children, George, Karl, and Edna. Mr. and Mrs. Lange have five children, whose names and respective dates of birth are here indicated: Luella, January 1, 1902 ; Ruby and Ruey, twins, May 22, 1905; Milton, January 26, 1908; and Leland, April 9, 1911.
source: History of Clayton
County, Iowa; From The Earliest Historical Times Down to
the Present; by Realto E. Price, Vol. II; page 239-240
Return to 1916 Biographies Index