George S. Jones
George S. Jones is another of the well-known and popular native sons of Clayton county who is well entitled to recognition in this history. He maintains his residence in the attractive village of Edgewood, where he is engaged in business as a contractor in cement construction work and where he is serving with characteristic loyalty and efficiency not only as a member of the village council, but also as trustee of Lodomillo township.
Mr. Jones was born in Cox Creek township, this county, on the 18th of February, 1860, and is a son of Albert and Annie (Thomas) Jones, the former a native of the State of New York, and the latter of Wisconsin.
Albert Jones established his residence in Clayton county in the year 1859, and when the Civil War was precipitated on the nation he served about one year as a soldier in Company B, Twenty-first Iowa Volunteer Infantry, his honorable discharge having then been granted to him on account of the impaired condition of his eyes. Both he and his wife passed the closing years of their lives in Dixon county, Nebraska. They became the parents of twelve children, concerning whom brief record is here given: John is deceased; William is a resident of Waterloo, this state; Emma is the wife of Riley Armstrong, of Morningside, Woodbury county, Iowa; James resides at Albany, Illinois; and Frank in the state of South Dakota; Frances died in infancy; George S., of this sketch, was the next in order of birth; Florence is the wife of James Bigley and they reside in the state of Nebraska; Seth lives in Kansas; Charles in Wisconsin; and Adelbert at Auburn, Nebraska; and Clinton is deceased.
George S. Jones continued to be associated with his father's farming operations until he had attained the age of twenty-four years, and in the meanwhile his educational advantages had been those afforded in the public schools. At the age noted he took unto himself a wife, and soon afterward he and his bride established their home at Edgewood, where they have since resided and where both are held in high popular estimation.
Mr. Jones is the owner of about one and one-fourth acres of land in the village, and on the same he has a pleasant home, such success as has been his having been the result of his own energy and well directed efforts. Mr. Jones is a staunch supporter of the cause of the Democratic party and he has been called upon to serve in various local offices of public trust. He was for three terms the incumbent of the position of road supervisor, served six terms as street commissioner of Edgewood, gave effective service in the offices of constable and village marshal, served two terms as game warden, three terms as superintendent of township roads and three terms as superintendent of county roads. In 1916 he is serving his third term as a trustee of the village council of Edgewood and is also trustee of Lodomillo township. He is affiliated with the Modern Woodmen of America and the Royal Neighbors, and both he and his wife hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church.
March 25, 1885, recorded the marriage of Mr. Jones to Miss Emma Holmes, and their only child is Leon A., who was born February 28, 1894, and who remains at the parental home; he received a high school education and his childish precocity was shown by his learning the multiplication table when he was but four years old.
source: History of Clayton
County, Iowa; From The Earliest Historical Times Down to
the Present; by Realto E. Price, Vol. II; pg 200-201
Return to 1916 Biographies Index