Henry O. Johnson
Henry O. Johnson, a successful farmer and highly esteemed citizen of Wagner township, is a sterling representative of that fine Scandinavian element of citizenship that has played so large and important a part in the social and industrial development of this county as to make the definite recognition of the scions of the second generation of such families specially consistent in connection with the compilation of this history.
Henry O. Johnson was born in Wagner township, this county, on the 9th of July, 1877, and is a son of Ole and Annie Johnson, honored pioneers, concerning whom adequate mention is made on other pages, in the sketch dedicated to their son Otto, so that a repetition of the data is not demanded in the article here presented.
Henry O. Johnson is indebted to the public schools of his native county for his early educational training, and, with characteristic ambition and determination, he profited fully by the advantages thus afforded him. He continued to be associated in the work and management of his father's farm until 1907, when he purchased his present fine farm, which comprises two hundred and twenty-three acres and which is eligibly situated in Section 28, Wagner township. This model rural domain is improved with substantial and modern buildings and is maintained under a high state of cultivation, with due attention given also to the raising of excellent grades of livestock. Though Mr. Johnson gives general and effective supervision to the various operations of his splendid farm, his health has been much impaired since 1912 and he is unable to do much active work.
His political allegiance is given to the Republican party and he has reason for the faith that is his in politics, for he has studied the questions and issues of the hour and is well fortified in his convictions as to matters of public policy. He is a communicant of the Lutheran church and his name yet remains on the list of eligible bachelors in his native county. His home is but a few miles distant from Elkader, and from the county seat he receives service on rural mail route No.3.
source: History of Clayton
County, Iowa; From The Earliest Historical Times Down to
the Present; by Realto E. Price, Vol. II; pg 198
Return to 1916 Biographies Index