Henry H. Diers
Henry H. Diers, owner and progressive manager of the fine landed estate known as the Center Valley Stock Farm, in Section 4, Read Township, specially merits recognition in this history of his native county, for he is a member of one of its sterling pioneer families, is known as one of the representative agriculturists and prominent stock growers of the county, and has the distinction of owning and residing upon the old homestead farm on which his birth occurred November 20, 1873. He is a son of Frederick W. and Margaret (Schneider) Diers, who were born in Germany but who were children at the time of the immigration of the respective families to the United States. They are now honored pioneer citizens of Clayton county and reside on the old home place, and of their children four are living. They are Henry H., Mrs. Dr. W. A. Miller, of Elkader; Mrs. Frieda Hagensich, of Reed township; Alma, at home. They lost two children, Emma, who died, aged 3 years, and one who died in infancy. Henry H. Diers profited by the advantages afforded in the public schools of his native city, including the high school at Elkader, and his activities of a practical order have always been in connection with the operations of the well improved homestead which he now owns, the property having been rented by him from his father for several years after his marriage, which occurred in 1900. Some years after he had thus assumed connubial responsibilities he purchased the property, which comprises two hundred and eighty acres and which constitutes one of the model landed estates of Clayton county. Mr. Diers is giving special and successful attention to the breeding and raising of thoroughbred shorthorn cattle and registered Poland-China and Duroc-Jersey swine, fine specimens of each of which he has for sale for breeding and general farm purposes at all times. He has been for twenty years the efficient and valued secretary of the school board of his district, is a member of the directorate of the St. Olaf Savings Bank, the Farmersburg & St. Olaf Creamery Company, and the Poland-China &. Duroc Swine Association, and is significantly to be designated as one of the most progressive and loyal citizens of Read township. His political allegiance is given to the Republican party and both he and his wife are communicants of the Lutheran church. In 1900 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Diers to Miss Emelie Best, who was born in Read township and who is one of the six children, all living, of William and Minnie (Schmidt) Best, who were children when they accompanied their parents to America from Germany and who early became residents of Clayton county. Mr. Best is still one of the representative farmers of Read township and his devoted wife passed to the life eternal in the year 1913. Mr. and Mrs. Diers have two children, Alice M., who was born April 1, 1901, and Willis F., who was born June 2, 1903.
source: History of Clayton
County, Iowa; From The Earliest Historical Times Down to
the Present; by Realto E. Price, Vol. II; page 88-89
Return to 1916 Biographies Index