Louis H. Brandt
Louis H. Brandt is admirably proving his resourcefulness and progressive policies as a representative of agricultural and livestock industry in his native county, and it is gratifying to record that he has the direct control and management of the fine old homestead farm on which he was born and reared and which is now known as Sunny View Farm. This admirably improved landed estate is situated in section 24, Garnavillo township, and comprises three hundred and four acres of as fine land as is to be found in this favored section of the Hawkeye state. Mr. Brandt's unwavering loyalty to and appreciation of his native county are manifested not only in his active and successful association with its agricultural interests but also by his enterprise and public spirit as a citizen.
He is aligned firmly and consistently with the Republican party and his personal popularity in the community which has ever represented his home is definitely signified by the fact that in 1916 he is found serving as township clerk and as school director of his district. Both he and his wife are earnest communicants of St. Paul's Lutheran church at Garnavillo.
Louis H. Brandt was born June 23, 1886, and is a son of Henry and Mary (Nieman) Brandt, both of whom were born in Germany and both of whom are living in gracious comfort and retirement in the village of Garnavillo, secure in the high esteem of all who know them. Henry Brandt was but a boy at the time when he came with his parents from Germany to America, and soon afterward the family home was established in Clayton county, where he was reared to manhood under the conditions and influences of the pioneer days and where he eventually gained a place of prominence as one of the representative farmers of the county. Both he and his wife, now venerable in years, are devout communicants of the Lutheran church and he has given unwavering allegiance to the Republican party. Of the eight children, two sons and six daughters, all are living, save one daughter who died in infancy.
Louis H. Brandt early began to lend his aid in the work of the home farm and in the meanwhile he made good use of the advantages afforded in the public schools of his native county, his educational discipline thereafter being effectively supplemented by a two years' course in the college of agriculture of the great University of Wisconsin, at Madison.
He has continuously been identified with the operations of the fine farmstead on which he was born, and he assumed charge of the same shortly after his marriage, which occurred on November 23, 1910, when he was twenty-four years of age. As a farmer and stockgrower he has fully upheld and even added to the high reputation long sustained by his honored father, and he is essentially one of the broad-minded, energetic and progressive exponents of these basic lines of industry in his native county. He has been distinctively successful in the breeding and raising of full-blood Shorthorn cattle, to which branch of farm enterprise he is giving special attention.
In the year 1910 was solemnized
the marriage of Mr. Brandt to Miss Amanda Matt, who was
born and reared in Farmersburg township, this county,
where her father, Joseph Matt, is still actively
identified with agricultural pursuits, the mother having
passed to eternal rest when about 35 years of age. Mr.
and Mrs. Brandt have two fine little sons -Valmah H. and
source: History of Clayton
County, Iowa; From The Earliest Historical Times Down to
the Present; by Realto E. Price, Vol. II; page 57-58
Return to 1916 Biographies Index