Elmer H. Brandt
Elmer H. Brandt has given distinctive evidence of his progressiveness and good judgment in connection with the ownership and operation of one of the fine farms of his native county, for the major part of the splendid improvements on the place has been made by him and the pervasive atmosphere of thrift and prosperity marks the owner as a man of energy and enterprise.
Mr. Brandt was born in Garnavillo township, this county, on the 5th of November, 1890, and is a son of Henry and Mary (Nieman) Brandt, who are now living retired in the village of GarnaviIlo, both being natives of Germany. Henry Brandt was a boy at the time of the family immigration to America and his parents became early pioneer settlers of Clayton county, where they passed the remainder of their lives and where he himself gave his entire active career to effective operations as a farmer and stock-grower, through the medium of which industries he gained the success that enables him and his wife to pass the gracious twilight of their lives in peace and prosperity. He is a Republican in his political adherence and both he and his wife are devoted communicants of the Lutheran church.
Elmer H. Brandt was reared on the home farm and after completing the curriculum of the district schools he continued his studies in turn in the Garnavillo high school, took a business course and an agricultural course. After reaching his legal majority he became associated with his brother Louis H. in the management of the home farm, and three years later he removed to his present fine farm, of which he is the owner and which comprises two hundred and nine acres, in section 7 and 12, Garnavillo township. Though he gives his attention to diversified agriculture and utilizes the most approved scientific methods in this connection, Mr. Brandt has specialized in the raising of high grade cattle of the Shorthorn type and has made this department of his farm enterprise notably productive in financial returns. He is a Republican in politics and is serving as secretary of the school board of his district.
On the 11th of February, 1914,
was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Brandt to Miss Laura
M. Kregel, daughter of Edward W. Kregel, concerning whom
detailed mention is made on other pages of this work.
Mrs. Brandt has been a resident
of Clayton county from the time of her birth, attended
the Garnavillo high school and both she and her husband
have a host of loyal friends in their home county.
source: History of Clayton
County, Iowa; From The Earliest Historical Times Down to
the Present; by Realto E. Price, Vol. II; page 56-57
Return to 1916 Biographies Index