Joseph Hammond Harbaugh
Mahala (Heck) Harbaugh
Joseph Hammond Harbaugh was born July 11, 1834 in Bedford co., PA and died August 21, 1926 with burial in Brown cemetery. He was married in Bedford co. on October 7, 1853 to Mahala Heck. Mahala was born September 3, 1830 and died April 13, 1886; buried in Brown cemetery. Joseph next was married to Elizabeth "Lizzie" Shea Wingard on December 12, 1891. Lizzie was born July 8, 1848 and died 25 June 25, 1926.
Children of Joseph Hammond Harbaugh and Mahala Heck are:
1) Ellen Lavina Harbaugh - was born September 5, 1854 in St. Clari, Bedford, Pennsylvania, and died February 21, 1933 in Iowa. She married Isaac McDowell.
2) Daniel Harbaugh - was born June 16, 1856 in St. Clair, Bedford, Pennsylvania, and died April 12, 1927 in Garber. He married Cordelia Jane Smith.
3) Adaline Harbaugh - was born April 23, 1858 in Michigan, and died October 7, 1902 in Garber. She married Frank Stone.
4) William Sanford Harbaugh - was born April 19, 1860 in Elkport, and died August 11, 1932 in Earlville, Delaware co., Iowa. He is buried in Greenwood cemetery, Brookings, S.D. with his first wife Della Jane Long. He married his second wife Mary Matilda Hansel on March 28, 1917 in Clayton co. Mary died December 29, 1946 and is buried in the Hansel cemetery, Garber.
5) Mary Catherine "Sissy" Harbaugh - was born August 23, 1863 in Elkport, and died June 21, 1931 in Clayton co. She married John Henry Hansel.
6) Charles Wesley Harbaugh - was born January 28, 1865 in Elkport, and died October 16, 1949 in Spokane, Washington.
7) Malinda Sophrona Harbaugh - was born June 23, 1867 in Mallory twp. and died October 15, 1900 at the family farm in Clayton co. She married Edwin Jennings on october 26, 1892 at the Elkport Lutheran church. Edwin was born February 13, 1857 and died February 4, 1941.
8) Jefferson G. Harbaugh - was born February 25, 1870 in Mallory twp. and died September 25, 1951 in Mallory twp. He married Montana Edith Hansel.
9) Nettie Jane Harbaugh - was born April 6, 1872 in Mallory twp. and died December 24, 1949. She married Patrick Joseph Carroll, on March 26, 1937 in Elkader. He was born May 3, 1884 in County Meath, Ireland, and died August 15, 1950.
10) Joseph J. Harbaugh - was born August 10, 1877 in Mallory twp. and died 1952 in Clayton co. He married Elizabeth Harry.
Joseph Hammond Harbaugh and Elizabeth "Lizzie" Shea Wingard adopted a daughter:
1) Lena Weaver Harbaugh - was born September 25, 1889 and died April 1946 in Clayton county. She was married on October 30, 1908 to Willard Harbaugh, son of William Sanford (#4 above) and Della Long.
William S. Harbaugh & 2nd wife Mary Matilda Hansel
Adult children of Joseph Harbaugh & Malha Heck
L-R: Mary "Sis", Joseph, Ellen, Daniel, Nettie Jane & Jefferson
~the family photos and information were contributed by Helen Jennings. Helen's husband Clyde is the grandson of Malinda Sophrona Harbaugh and Edwin Jennings. Clyde & Helen currently live in the farm home that has been in the family since 1883.
to Photo Album index
Return to Clayton County Index