An aeral view of flooded Elkport, May 24, 2004 -Iowa Civil Air Patrol photo-
After the flood of May 23, 2004, all residents of Elkport chose a federal buyout, selling their homes to the United States government for demolition. On September 26, 2006 most of the buildings in Elkport were demolished. Elkport maybe gone but will live on for years in the memories of many.
The following photos were taken by Judy Mallory Holthaus. Photo captions are by Judy or Helen Jennings. They have included the 'historical' home owners whenever possible. Because most of these buildings no longer exist, the notation of 'owner' usually denotes the owner at the time of the flood in 2004.
Note: The thumbnail photos below will open a larger version if you click on them.
The brown house (far rear) belonged to Roger & Patty Meyer. The Town Hall is in the middle, and in the foreground, the old garage.
Notice the blue mark on the town hall.
this was how high the floodwater was. There are
blue marks on all the buildings. If this old Hall
could talk it could write a book. "Good old
memories". It was built in 1906 and torn down in
2006, so was a 100 years old. They used it for
school basketball games and plays. Dances were also held
in the Hall.
Looking north. The Waterman Store is on
the left. On the right is the Elkport Garber Community
Center. In the fall of 2006 fire took the store building
and melted the front on the Community Center building.
In January 2007 not sure what the future holds for
The old George & Tillie Berns
Meyer Kriebs home, for years owned by Louis &
Martin Jaster home. Notice the blue high-water mark by the door.
left, the Waterman Store (owner Marvin Rodenberg). On the
right is the former Merlin Rudledge home (owner David
Jaster's blacksmith shop (gray building
on left). Main St. ran north from the blacksmith shop to
the school house.
On the right: Leland Welsh home, old Rudolph Jaster home (owner Katie Hansel), old Lawrence Waterman home (owner Darrell Jaster), old Dr. Kriebs home (owner Keith Steger), and the old Frank Reimer home (owner Mike Hansel).
On the left: Clarence Phelan home,
Thomas Phelan, Robert Phelan, old Elkport Bank, Ilo Moser
home, and LaVonne 'Peg' Schroeder home.
The house on the right was a
trailer house once owned by Eli Baker. The red building
(left rear) is on the Beck property.
The old Donald & Florence Billmeyer
home (owner Harold Beck) next to Lutheran Church.
Notice the blue mark on the left side of the house,
marking the flood water level.
Former Henry & Emma (Willman) Fritz
home. As of January 2007 it is still standing. Louis
Knospe was the last owner.
Elkport School 1895-1969.
Top: school from
Cost of school when built was $5,000.
The high school closed in 1952 with Bert
Hoffman and Bud Hyde being the last graduates. The
grade-school continued until 1969 when the school closed
for good, and the students going to Central
Community at Elkader. They still have a annual
Elkport School Reunion with around 80 attending every
year. They organized in June 1904 & except for
4 years in the 40's due to World War II, they have held a
reunion every year.
Front to rear:
The old Wittman home. Harold Aulwes
bought from Wittman (owner Larry Smith)
James & Stella (Smith) Groth bought
this house on Main street from John Bals. Stella was the
postmistress until her retirement. Other owners were
Lloyd Wessel, Allen Connelly & Allen Meyer.
Immanuel Lutheran School. The Elkport Immanuel Lutheran
Church started in 1859 with a small building, this one
being build later. Notice the blue mark on the porch
showing the water level of the flood waters. As of
January 2007 the buildings are still standing but not
On the left is the old Donald & Florence Billmeyer home (owner Harold Beck). Center, is the Elkport Lutheran church and parsonage with the cemetery in the back. To the right are the Jeff & Darcy (Schroeder) Bolsinger and Ronnie "Chuck and Mary (Storbeck) Ingles homes.
The church and parsonage are still standing as of January 2007.
This is a cropped version of the photo above, click to enlarge it - the Elkport cemetery is visible on the hill behind the church.
Return to Photo Album index