Millville Township is bounded on the
north by Jefferson Township and the Mississippi
River; on the east by Buena Vista Township; on the
south by Dubuque County, and on the west by Mallory
Township. It was organized in 1838, and the first
election in the township was held in the fall of that
year, John W. Griffith being elected Supervisor, and
David Springer, Justice of the Peace.
There are two postoffices in
the township, one at Millville and the other at
Turkey River Station. Isaac H. Preston was the first
Postmaster at Millville. William Woodworth is the
present incumbent. The office at Turkey River was
established in 1871, with John Moore as Postmaster.
He still holds the office.
The first store was
established in 1869 at Turkey River Station by John
Moore, who has since continued the business. He
carries a full line of general merchandise. J.H.
Boyce embarked in the mercantile business here about
1875. He keeps a complete stock of such goods as are
usually found in a country store.
The Milwaukee and St. Paul
Railroad and the Volga branch of that road pass
through the township, and the advent of the cars has
added much to the business facilities of the place.
The religious element of the township is represented
by the Cumberland Presbyterian organization, who have
a church building on section 18. It is a frame
structure, 30 x 40 feet, valued at $800. Its first
pastor was P.H. Corider, Rev. Mr. Howard being the
present one. The first Trustees were P.H. Corider and
Jacob Springer; the present ones are Joseph Tweedy
and John Bolsinger.
Millville Township is well
provided for in the way of schools, having six
excellent school-houses, two of brick and four frame,
their total value being $4,000. In the year 1881
there were 234 pupils enrolled in the public schools.
There are four
burying-grounds in the township.
Millville Village was surveyed on the northeast
quarter of section 16, township 91 north, range 2
west, by Ezra Hurd,
Surveyor, for Isaac H. Preston,
in July, 1856.
There is a fine flour-mill here, F.E. Heckel, proprietor. Two
stores, filled with fine selections of goods suited
to the market; William
Woodworth is the proprietor of one - a fine
brick building - and John
Becker, proprietor of the other. The first
blacksmith shop was run by Racine
Barnett; the present proprietor is F.W. Zunhof. The first wagon
shop was by John Grithiths
& Brs.; the present proprietor is Henry Horsch. Mr. Woodworth
carries a stock of about $5,000 worth of goods. There
is a population of about fifty persons in this
The village of Jefferson was laid out in 1852-'53.
There is here a grist-mill and small stock of
merchandise, kept by E.C.
Jeffers. There is a blacksmith shop here, run
by M. Wheeler. This comprises all the business of the
villages. There is here a population of about fifty
Turkey River Village is a station on the C., M.
& St. P. R. R., at the junction of the Turkey
with the Mississippi River. There is a postoffice
here; also two stores of general merchandise.