Mendon Township is the
northeastern one of the county, and is situated in
townships 94 and 95, range 3 west. It contains
in all twenty-eight whole sections and seven
fractional sections. The surface generally is
very rough, but there is much good soil in the
township, and the land is cultivated successfully by
many prosperous farmers. The soil is watered by
Bloody Run and other small tributaries of the
The history of Mendon Township is almost entirely
embraced in the history of the city of
McGregor was laid off on parts of sections 17, 21
and 22, township 95 north, range 3 west, by John M.
Gay, Surveyor, July 24, 1846, on land belonging to
James McGregor and Duncan McGregor, and the survey
was filed for record July 24, 1850. West
McGregor was surveyed upon the northeast quarter of
section 28, township 95 north, range 3 west, by
Sanford L. Peck, Surveyor, on land belonging to
Rueben Noble, Harriet C. Noble and John Linton.
The survey was filed for record July 25, 1857.
Additions to McGregor have been made by Jones and
Bass, Orlando McCraney, James McGregor, McGregor Land
Company, Bigelow & McLaughlin, Duncan McGregor,
George D. Gardner, Ann G. McGregor, Giard Land
Company, L.L. Johnson, Willis Drummond and Gregor
In 1836 Alexander McGregor, then living at Prairie du
Chien, established a ferry from the latter place to
this point, which in consequence became known as
McGregor's Landing. In 1840 the United States
Government commenced the building of Fort Atkinson,
on Turkey River, some fifty-five miles in the
interior, and as the supplies had to reach that point
from Prairie du Chien or Fort Crawford by the way of
this landing, the ferry became very profitable, and
McGregor's Landing became an important point.
Prior to this, McGregor had located his claim here
and built a cabin. In May, 1840, the Government
leased of him and of Thomas P. Burnett, of Prairie du
Chien, grounds for warehouse purposes at this point,
and during the same season a warehouse was erected at
the foot of what is now Main street.
Considerable opposition was made to McGregor by the
agent of the American Fur Company, who succeeded in
getting the soldiers to make a road through the
northern part of township 95, by furnishing them with
whiskey while at work, and carriages for the officers
to ride in, without any order for such work from
Washington. The road was known as the Upper
Ferry Road, and made a junction with the McGregor
Road at Monona.
Still the influence of this diversion was only
temporary. In 1847 McGregor moved across the
river with his family, and occupied his log cabin at
the foot of Main street. This house, the
Government warehouse above referred to, and a few
shanties occupied by soldiers on the river bank, were
all the buildings at that time in McGregor. The first
frame house was built during the same year, and Alvah
C. Rogers kept the first hotel in it in 1848.
The second house, completed in 1848, was that of
Alexander McGregor, a portion of which is still seen
in the rear appendage of the present McGregor
residence at the foot of Main street.
In the basement of the old McGregor residence H.D.
Evans opened the first store in 1848.
Prior to 1850 the place contained but few buildings,
and the business carried on here was transacted with
Indians, soldiers and a few immigrants who crossed at
this point for the interior. But immigration
setting in more rapidly, business and population
increased, and the place which had been known to
boatmen and travelers was McGregor's Landing, soon
began to assume the more definite proportions of a
As McGregor increased in population it was
deemed best by the citizens that the place be
incorporated. A petition was therefore
prepared, bearing date Sept. 1, 1857, and signed by
V. R. Miller and forty-nine others, asking the County
Court to order an election at which the people should
vote for or against incorporation. This
election was held March 2, 1857, the Judges being V.
R. Miller, H. C. Scott and Michael Weaver, and
resulted in a majority of votes being cast for
incorporation. The county judge then ordered an
election held on the 8th day of April, 1857, for the
purpose of selecting three men to prepare a
charter or articles of Incorporation for the
town. At this election G. S. C. Scott, J. H.
Merrill and J. T. Stoneman were elected. These
gentlemen faithfully performed the duty for which
they were elected, and a charter was presented to the
people for acceptance or rejection, at an election
held on the 27th day of April, 1857. At this
election there were fifty-eight votes cast,
thirty-five of which were for the charter, twenty-one
against, and two against the corporation.
Hon. Eliphalet Price, County Judge, then issued a
proclamation setting forth that "the town of
McGregor, in the county of Clayton, and State of
Iowa, is from and after the date of this proclamation
an incorporated town, and that the legal voters
thereof have full power and authority to elect their
town officers, and do all other things as authorized
by the charter of said town of McGregor."
The judge then appointed A. T. Jones, T. Durant and
J. T. Stoneman, judges of the first election held
under the charter.
The first election was held on the second Saturday
in May, 1857, and the officers from that time to 1882
are as follows:
1857--Mayor, A. T. Jones;
Trustees, A. E. Wanzer, G. S. C. Scott, R. McMorrine,
J. H. Merrill, J. G. Bass, Charles Southmayd;
Recorder, J. T. Stoneman.
1858--Mayor, A. E. Wanzer;
Trustees, C. C. Bicknell, S. M. Lampson, G. L. Bass,
M. M. Sherman, James Durand; Recorder, J. R. Jarrett.
1859--Mayor, George L. Bass;
Trustees, John Low, Samuel Merrill, William Koss, L.
Benton, Jr., W. A. Durham; Recorder Douglas
1860--Mayor, George L. Bass;
Trustees, William Koss, D. K. Hobert, J. H. Kinnaird,
D. B. Hoffman, D. Baugh, E. Bradley, A. Pearsall;
Recorder, Douglas Lefflingwell.
1861--Mayor, D. K. Hobart;
Trustees, H. C. Martin, D. Baugh, J. Boettcher, J. R.
Jarrett. P. McDonald, Homer Kennedy; Recorder, L.
1862--Mayor, Homer Kennedy;
Trustees, G. S. C. Scott, M. O'Brien, V.
Daubenberger, William W. Werder, J. R. Jarrett;
Recorder, Louis Benton.
1863--Mayor, J. T. Stoneman;
Trustees, Wm. F. Huntting, David Allen, Jr., Hiram
Aber, Fred Hencke, P. McDonald; Recorder, L. Benton,
1864--Mayor, D. Lefflingwell;
Trustees, G. S. C. Scott, Henry C. Hayt, G. L. Bass,
Peter Stauer, E. R. Barron; Recorder, D. Baugh.
1865--Mayor, D. Lefflingwell;
Trustees, H. W. Burlingame, J. F. Liebhardt, Augustus
French, B. H. Lampson, J. Kramer, H. E. Newell, F.
Richards, O.W. Shaw; Recorder, D. Baugh.
1866--Mayor, D. Lefflingwell;
Trustees, Jacob Kramer, F. Miller, H. E. Newell, F.
Richards, W. Kriebe, B.H. Lampson, S. J. Peterson, E.
R. Barron; Recorder, D. Baugh.
1867--Mayor, D. Hammer, Trustees,
E. R. Barron, F. Hencke, W. F. Huntting, S. J.
Peterson, M. Boyles, M. Knight, F. Miller, T. W.
Wood; Recorder, D. Baugh.
1868--Mayor, Homer Kennedy;
Trustees, W. F. Huntting, F. Hencke, E. R. Barron, P.
Mullen, G. McGregor, M. Boyles, T. W. Wood, P.
Stauer; Recorder, D. Baugh.
1869--Mayor, Homer Kennedy;
Trustees, Oscar Burdick, Gregor McGregor, Gideon
Townsend, Peter Stauer, P. Mullen, J. R. Jarrett,
John McLenahan, Henry Gutheil.
1870--Mayor, Gregor McGregor;
Council, Gideon Townsend, George Crooke, Oscar
Burdick, J. R. Jarrett, J. McLenahan, Louis Metzger,
H. Gutheil, W. L. Calkins; Clerk, P. N. Trahn.
1871--Mayor, Gregor McGregor;
Council, George Crook, F. B. Rich, J. R. Jarrett,
Oscar Burdick, Louis Metzger, T. W. Wood, W. L.
Calkins, Martin Knight; Clerk, P.N. Trahn.
1872--Mayor, E. P. Clarke;
Council, F. B. Rich, John Williams, Oscar Burdick,
Fred Bergman, T. W. Wood, H. H. Barnes, Martin
Knight, A. Samuels; Clerk, William A. Drips.
1873--Mayor, E. P. Clarke;
Council, John Williams, Charles Budde, Fred Bergman,
Charles W. Walker, H. H. Barnes, T. W. Wood, A.
Samuels, W. L. Calkins; Clerk, William A. Drips.
1874--Mayor, Gregor McGregor;
Council, Charles Budde, H. E. Newell, J. N.
Gilchrist, F. A. Hawley, T. W. Wood, Joseph Andrews,
W. L. Calkins, Charles Reeves; Clerk, Daniel Lacy.
1875--Mayor, J. P. Patrick;
Council, H. E. Newell, David Cawelti, J. N.
Gilchrist, F. A. Hawley, Joseph Andrews, H. H.
Barnes, W. L. Calkins, Henry Gutheil; Clerk, Theodore
1876--Mayor, F. A. Hawley;
Council, G. C. Cone, Martin Fagrie, J. N. Gilchrist,
J. S. Wilson, H. H. Barnes, Joseph Andrews, Henry
Gutheil, Patrick McCall; Clerk, Robert Grant.
1877--Mayor, J. N. Gilchrist;
Council, Martin Fagrie, Charles Miller, J. S. Wilson,
Homer E. Newell, Joseph Andrews, N. W. Williver,
Patrick McCall, H. H. Ferguson; Clerk, Robert Grant.
1878--Mayor, C.W. Cowles; Council,
Charles Miller, Gregor McGregor, John Jacobia, W. E.
Odell, N. W. Williver, Joseph Andrews, H. H.
Ferguson, Homer E. Newell; Clerk, Robert Grant.
1879--Mayor, M. T. Kennedy;
Council, Gregor McGregor, Charles Budde, W. E. Odell,
John Jacobia, Joseph Andrews, J. N. Baird, D. D.
Fraser, A. C. Boyle; Clerk, Robert Grant.
1880--Mayor, M. T. Kennedy;
Council, Charles Budde, Daniel Lacy, John Jacobia,
Theodore Brown, J. N. Baird, John J. Clemens, A. C.
Boyle, D. D. Fraser; Clerk, Robert Grant.
1881--Mayor, C. W. Cowles;
Council, Daniel Lacy, Gregor McGregor, J. R. Jarrett,
George E. Pearsall, Wm. Werder, J. N. Baird, D. D.
Fraser, A. C. Boyle; Clerk, Robert Grant.
1882--Mayor, William E. Odell;
Council, Gregor McGregor, Charles Fox, J. A. Coard,
C. C. Bicknell, J. N. Baird, A. E. Barker, D. D.
Fraser, A. C. Boyle; Clerk, Robert Grant.
In 1863, over fifty of the voters of McGregor
petitioned for an abandonment of the old charter, and
the adoption of a new city charter, according to a
law of Iowa passed in 1860. This was submitted
to an election, which was held Sept. 15, 1863, at
which fifty-eight votes were cast in favor of the
change, and seven votes against it. The city of
McGregor was then declared organized under the law of
1860, and the same officers which had been elected
under the old charter held over under the new until
the next regular election. John T. Stoneman was
Mayor at this time.
McGregor is justly proud of her school system,
which is second to none in Northern Iowa. Her
citizens from the first have recognized the fact that
the only basis of good government, and the only
safeguard of a republican community, lies in the
proper education and training of the young. At
much trouble and expense, the public-school system of
McGregor has been brought to its present high
standard, and it is now the pride of the county as
well as the city. Of course this school
system had small beginnings, and for an account
of these we are largely indebted to an able sketch
which appeared in the McGregor News, Dec.
In the winter of 1854-'55 a destructive fire swept
away a number of buildings on the east side of Ann
street, between Second and Third. Among these
small buildings was the first school-house this
district ever had. It was a small brick
structure, 12 x 16, of one story, with small windows
and door. It was built about 1856, by Alexander
McGregor. Previous to that date this coulee
between the hills was only known as McGregor's
Landing, and consisted of a couple of cabins and Mr.
McGregor's house at the landing, which touched on
these shores in that early day. This was the
second school north of Turkey River.
To the old settler, this little brick school-house
under the hill had many interesting associations
about it. Who the first teacher in it was not
known for a certainty. Allen Humphrey, a New
York relative of Amos Pearsall, was the first male
teacher. It is generally though that the
pioneer distinction belongs to Mrs. John Bass, who
taught a very small school in a cabin as early as
1849, when there were but three or four houses in
this part of the county. Miss McLaury,
afterward Mrs. Captain Kinnear, of Burlington, is
also thought by some to be the first teacher.
It is claimed that this lady taught a private school,
of which there were an number in the early history of
McGregor. From this diminutive institution,
during one summer only, on the banks of the mighty
river, surrounded by forests and all the exposures
and dangers of frontier life, have sprung our present
educational advantages, which are second to none in
The little brick school-house was used for several
years, only summer terms being taught. In it
was taught the first Sunday-school, and this the
Methodists claim the honor of organizing. Mr.
John Burbridge, a carpenter, now residing in Decorah,
was the first Superintendent, and the school
continued after the public school ceased to be taught
in that building. This pioneer Sunday-school
has always remained independent when others were
united as a union school.
With the growth of Pocket City in prominence as a
business point, her educational facilities were
necessarily enlarged. In 1857 a company was
formed called the McGregor High School
Association. It was made up of the most
influential citizens of that day, and among them
were: H. B. Evans, A. T. Jones, George L. Bass,
Alexander McGregor, V. R. Miller, Amos Pearsall,
Jerry Merrill, Thomas Arnold, Judge Brown, John
Chambers and many others. Alexander McGregor
was President of the association. Col. A. P.
Richardson, then the leading journalist in the
Northwest, took an active part in forming this
association, both by personal investment and through
his paper. It is remembered as a lasting honor
to Col. Richardson, that he was always ready and
willing to befriend every plan of an educational
nature, whether public or private
The High School Association issued stock, and
proceeded to erect a school-house on the site of the
present new building. It was a solid two story
structure of brick, and contained four large rooms,
then much too large for the population. It should be
remembered that this was not a public school, but an
institution purely of the character of a private
enterprise, and devised to meet a growing demand for
The building was completed at a cost of about $3,000,
and for the first year of its occupation was leased
to D. D. Fraser, who taught the first High School,
paying a rent of $160 per annum. Mr. Fraser
successfully conducted this school for a year, having
an attendance of about fifty scholars, and
instructing them in the plain English branches. This
first High School was attended by the children of the
leading citizens at that time, and many of them have
since become our most prominent citizens. Among the
youths who attended the school were Gardiner and
Gregor McGregor, Eugene and Will Scott, the Jones
boys, Hodges Bass, Tom Wynne, Henry Flanders and
Theodore Miller. Among the girls in the same school
were Ella Douglas, Anna Douglas, Corinda Wynne,
Elizabeth Wynne, Cynthia Ford and Belle Spaulding.
Though all of these have reached middle life and are
married, they will always remember their pleasant
school days under Professor Fraser, who was then
himself fresh from some Eastern institution of
learning, keen to teach, and displaying energy and
In that early day, when the youth partook in a
measure of the vigorous nature of frontier society,
it became a pedagogue to conduct his school more with
a view to discipline than to learning. The fond
parent in those days often suggested to the teacher
that should his boys be recreant about anything in
school, the teacher should not neglect to take
exercise and recreation in a dose of corporal
punishment. However little such things as these are
tolerated at present, they formed a leading part in
those stirring times. This school was very popular,
moreover, and the community was entirely in sympathy
with the modes of teaching. The tuition was $4 for a
term of three months, and many pupils came in from
the country and boarded at private houses in the
At the end of this, the first year that McGregor
enjoyed superior educational advantages, the
gentlemen who composed the stock company raised the
rent of their academy to $200 per year. Mr. Fraser
withdrew, and his adventurous spirit led him to take
an extra trip to Pikes Peak, but he soon
returned to the Pocket City.
A Mr. Moon now began operations, based upon the
success of the first year of the High School.
But it seems that he was not a full moon as an
educational character, and in spite of the hearty
co-operation of many warm friends, he reached the
last quarter of his career in the first quarter of
his school, and passed from the horizon of McGregor
Mr. Fraser returned from his travels about the time
Moon got his school well begun, and was immediately
urged to re-open his select school to his former
pupils. This was done, and successfully. This private
school was held in the second story of G. C.
Cones first hardware store on Main street, a
frame building afterward used for a carpenter shop.
But the unfortunate termination of the Moon school
soon began to affect the public mind, and there was a
general demand for a well-conducted district school.
The select schools dwarfed the little district
school, when it was open at all, and the poorer
classes clamored for a better free school.
Accordingly the school district was organized into
the independent school district of McGregor early in
1860. The brick building and the lot, 100 x 100,
constituted the real estate of the High School
Association, and this was now bought by the
independent district. The purchase consisted in the
transfer of the stock to the amount of $3,000 at 40
cents on the dollar. This was a high price for the
stock, which after the eclipse of the
Moon and the success of the Fraser school went
down to 10 cents on the dollar. The lot of ground
upon which our school-house stands was originally a
part of the claim entered by Alexander McKinnie, who
sold it to the High School Association for $25. The
school officials have since added to this lot by
The first Principal was E. B. Wakeman, and he was
succeeded by a Mr. Tomlinson, who was followed by H.
The present fine school building was completed in the
latter part of 1878. It is one of he best planned and
most substantially build school edifices in the
country. The erection was under the supervision of
the architect, H. F. Hyde, of Dubuque. The foundation
is of heavy masonry, and a good quality of building
stone. The walls of the superstructure are of red
pressed brick, and with the floor and ceiling joists
anchored and bound with iron. The entire building is
finished off with cut stone from the beautiful
cream-colored limestone quarried near the city. The
tower is ornamented with large plates of cut stone,
and very heavy sills and caps of single pieces. The
heaviest cut-stone masonry is composed of stones
obtained from Judge Williamss large quarries
The whole building can be made to have a seating
capacity of nearly 700 pupils. As it is now divided,
there are fourteen rooms and twelve wardrobes,
besides the basement, which is entirely occupied by
heating and ventilating apparatus. On the first floor
are the A, B, C and D primary grades; on the second
floor, A and B grammar, high school and two
recitation rooms; on the third floor is the C
grammar. There is also one room for music teaching,
and one large room for the superintendent, as well as
a smaller one for the library.
The cost of this building was about $28,000. The
heating apparatus cost $2,500 extra. The course of
study is very thorough, and fits students for our
best universities. Students go from the High School
at McGregor to the University at Michigan. The system
now in force in Michigan, of making certain high
schools preparatory departments to the university,
will soon be adopted in this State, and the McGregor
High School is one of the few that can conform to the
high standard required by this system.
The postoffice at McGregor was established about
1849, and H. D. Evans was the first Postmaster. Since
him the office has been held successively by V. P.
Miller, L. H. Packard, A. P. Richardson, W. A.
Benton, Robert Tompkins, C. F. Bell and R. Hubbard,
the present incumbent. The office was established as
a money-order office in 1866. The first order issued
was dated Aug. 6, 1866, and was sent by Frederick
Kurz to Johanna Kurz. It was drawn on Galena, Ill.,
and was for the sum of $25.00. The first money-order
advice received was dated at Chicago, Aug. 6, 1866,
and was from H. A. Holmes to W. P. Holmes. It was for
the sum of $40. There were 653 money-orders issued
the first year. The whole number issued to date is
23,223. The total amount of the money-orders paid per
annum is now $35,000. The amount of those issued is
$30,000. An average of thirteen lock-pouches are
dispatched and received daily, and the total number
dispatched per annum is 4,056. The number of
registered packages handled per annum is 30,000.
Postage stamps yield a revenue of over $6,000.
The first bank in McGregor was organized in 1856,
by Lee & Kinnaird, which continued in existence
until 1861, but was not a financial success. In 1858
a private bank was organized by H. S. Granger &
Co. The McGregor branch of the State Bank of Iowa was
established Jan. 2, 1860, with sixty-four
stockholders, and a cash capital of $50,000. The
first officers were as follows: President Mayor E. V.
Carter; Cashier, Ole Halverson; Directors, O. C. Lee,
S. Merrill, D. B. Hoffman, Frank Larrabee, B. F.
Schroeder, J. F. Thomson, A. C. Newcomb, E. V. Carter
and G. L. Bass. This bank continued in operation
until 1863, when the First National Bank was
organized, with a capital stock of $50,000. The first
Directors were : William J. Gilchrist, E. V. Carter,
Samuel Merrill, Ole Halverson, J. D. Dearborn. Samuel
Merrill was elected President, and Ole Halverson,
Cashier. Samuel Merrill resigned Oct. 30, 1867, being
elected Governor of the State, and he was succeeded
as President, by J. Merrill. At the same time the
present Cashier, W. R. Kinnaird, was elected as an
assistant. Aug. 31, 1871, Ole Halverson resigned, and
W. R. Kinnaird was elected to fill his place. J.
Merrill resigned July 10, 1872, and J. K. Graves was
elected President. He was succeeded the following
September by Frank Larabee, the present incumbent.
The present Directors are: William Larrabee, Isaac
Havens, J. O. Crosby, James T. Bassett, Calvin F.
Bell, W. E. Odell, James N. Gilchrist, Frank Larabee
and W. R. Kinnaird. IN 1864 the stock of the bank was
increased to $100,000.
The Clayton County Savings Bank was established at
McGregor, Nov. 20, 1869. The incorporators were
William J. Gilchrist, J. H. Merrill, Ole Halverson,
H. E. Merrill, C. F. Burr, W. R. Kinnaird, J. N.
Gilchrist and R. Noble. William J. Gilchrist was
elected President, and J. H. Merrill, Treasurer. Mr.
Merrilll was succeeded in 1872 by W. R. Kinnaird. The
bank continued in business until 1879, when it
closed, after paying depositors and stockholders in
THE CARRIAGE WORKS
The extensive carriage works of Amos Pearsall
& Son, located at the corner of Main and Fourth
streets, near the school building, were erected in
March, 1871, by G. Hawley & Sons. In August of
the same year Amos Pearsall, who had for fifteen
years kept a livery stable in McGregor, and who had
sold out in May, purchased a half interest in the
works, and the firm became G. Hawley and Co. In 1880
Mr. Pearsall purchased Mr. Hawleys interest,
and took his younger son, Charles A., into
partnership with him. The business is now conducted
under the firm name of A. Pearsall & Son. A
personal sketch of Mr. Pearsall is given elsewhere.
This enterprise gives constant employment to from
twenty to twenty-five men, and sometimes more. The
capacity has been about the same since the works were
begun, and the annual business has been from $40,000
to $60,000. This establishment makes only fine
carriages and gentlemens road wagons, and does
no cheap work. Repairing is done on light work in
addition to the manufacturing. About 200 buggies are
made annually, and everything in the construction of
them is made in the shops; nothing is purchased by
the firm except the raw material. The trade extends
in various directions, and to great distances. Their
work was sold, in 1881, in seventeen States and
Territories. One lot went to Ireland, others to New
York and California. The building is 75 x 80 feet,
three stories high, and is built of red brick.
The firm of P. Stauer & Co. started in
business in 1862, and was then composed of Stauer
& Schillinger. The latter soon retired from the
firm, and Mr. Stauer was alone until 1865, when he
took as partner V. Daubenberger. In 1871 O.H. Lufeld
was admitted to the firm. In that year they built the
mill where Mr. Michaels elevator now stands. In
1873 the mill was removed to Prairie du Chien. Their
pay-roll averages $4,000 a month.
The McGregor brewery, owned by J. F. Hagensick,
was built in 1845. The main building is 78 x 20, four
stories in height. It cost $25,000, and has a
capacity of 10,000 barrels per year.
First Methodist Episcopal Church The first
sermon preached in McGregor under the auspices of the
Methodist church was preached by Rev. Elisha Warner,
of Prairie du Chien, in the second week of January,
1852. The services were held in the carpenter shop of
J. M. Burbridge. The first regular pastor was Rev. J.
L. Kelly, appointed by the bishop the same year.
Rev. A. Bishop, the second pastor, formed their first
class of which Mr. Burbridge was the leader. Mr.
Burbridge was also the first Superintendent of the
Sunday-school. Rev. J. R. Cameron was their next
pastor, and he was succeeded by Rev. John Webb and F.
C. Mather. Mr. Webb was returned the second year,
with Rev. William McCormack as his colleague.
They were succeeded by Rev. J. D. Havens, through
whose instrumentality the first church building in
McGregor was erected. In the spring of 1858, a
building committee, consisting of G. S. C. Scott, C.
C. Bicknell and D. Baugh, was appointed, and work was
immediately commenced in the excavation of the hill
over the lot corner of Ann and Fourth streets, for
the foundations. The struggle was a hard one,
financially, but through the munificent gifts of the
people and the energy and zeal displayed in their
work, the committee had the satisfaction of seeing
the little frame church dedicated in June, 1858, the
Rev. Larkins officiating, and Rev. Alfred Brownson,
of Prairie du Chien, preached the dedication sermon.
From that time on the society struggled bravely, and
the membership, constantly increasing, worked with a
hearty good-will of the furtherance of the good
cause. After the lapse of ten years, in October,
1868, with renewed zeal, the work of clearing the lot
for the present grand edifice was commenced, and a
foundation built up as far as the old church would
allow. In May, 1869, the work was again renewed, the
old church removed, and by fall the new structure was
enclosed and the basement completed so that services
could be held in the lecture-room. This was formally
dedicated in December, Rev. Dr. Reed officiating. The
building committee was O. McCraney, O. C. Buck and C.
In the spring of 1873, with the promise of aid and
contributions, it was decided to complete the
edifice. This was done, and the result was a
satisfaction to all.
After Mr. Havens, who came as pastor in 1859, the
following ministers have been assigned to McGregor:
1860, H.H. Keith;1861, C. W. Babcock and Isaac
Newton; 1862-3, J. K. Fuller; 1864, F. C.
Wolfe; 1865-6, S. Pancoast; 1867-8, P. E.
Brown; 1869, W. P. Watkins; 1870, W. H. Sparling;
1871-2, William Fawcett; 1873, L. H. Carhart;
1874-6, W. Heald; 1877-8, J. W. Clinton;
1879-81, J. W. Casebeer.
The membership of the church is now about 135. There
is a flourishing Sunday-school connected with the
church, which has thirteen teachers and about 125
scholars. G. S. Baker is the Superintendent. It meets
every Sunday after church services, in the basement.
It has a good library of 300 volumes. The
Sunday-school at North McGregor is a branch of this.
Miss Abbott is its Superintendent, and there are
about ninety-seven members.
Congregational Church For much of the
following account of the Congregationalist church, we
are indebted to Robert Grant, Esq., whose fertile pen
has prepared so much valuable history.
During the year of 1856 a few families of that faith
and order having located at McGregor and in view of
its prospective growth and importance, much interest
was manifested by the ministers and members of the
neighboring churches, as well as citizens of the
place in the early establishment of a Congregational
On Saturday evening, Jan. 3, 1857, a meeting was held
at the residence of Mr. J. H. Merrill, and the first
steps taken in the organization of the First
Congregational Church of McGregor. On the following
Sabbath morning the first public services were held.
Rev. O. Emerson, Jr., agent of the American
Missionary Association, and Rev. L. L. Radcliff, of
Prairie du Chien, officiated, when seven persons (Mr.
and Mrs. J.H. Merrill, Robert Grant, Mrs. J. L.
Dearborn, Mrs. A. T. Jones and Miss Clorinda Rowan)
united in giving solemn public assent to the articles
of faith and covenant, and were declared duly
organized a Church of Christ. Rev. M. M. Wakeman, of
the Farmersburg church, officiated as minister
through the winter, preaching every alternate
Sabbath. During the summer no services were held
except occasionally as come minister was stopping in
town. In October of the same year, the Rev. Joseph
Bloomer was called to the pastorate. He came with the
zeal and enthusiasm that such an ardent temperament
alone possesses. His was a profitable, busy life,
during the week attending to many things which
necessarily must be done, when almost everything is
undeveloped, and upon the Sabbath preaching
inspiring, helpful sermons. The Sabbath school was
organized and members received into the church, but
his work was soon finished and he was called up
higher. It was a grievous and mysterious providence
to the little band that was so happy in their
church-work under his leadership.
He was soon succeeded by Rev. T. A. Wardsworth, who
labored faithfully till the spring of 1859, when the
relations between him and his people were amicably
dissolved. It was during his ministry the church
received its first members on profession, all
previous members having united by letter.
The same month that Mr. Wardsworhs relations
with the church were dissolved, Mr. H. G. McArthur
began to supply the pulpit, and in August following
was ordained and continued his ministry until
September, 1860. During the time the house in which
the church now worships was built, although the
dedication did not occur until after his resignation.
Soon after the dedication the Rev. L. P. Sloan
commenced his labors, and after continuing his
ministry for seven years with great acceptance and
attaching himself very strongly to his people and the
community, he was installed as pastor and continued
to be their faithful under shepherd until his death,
Oct. 29, 1870. Seldom have there been more attached
to and untied in a pastor, and they sorrowed as for a
near and dear friend. He was not only held in the
highest esteem by his own people, but also by his
neighboring churches and the minor and general
associations, and ever considered a wise and safe
counselor. He was always up to the times and deeply
interested in the advancement of every good work, not
only in the church but in the well-being of our
country, and inspired his people with the same
feeling. His people were very near to him and were
remembered in his last moments. Tell my people to be
established in the Truth, I have no fears, was his
last message to them. One hundred and fifty were
added to the membership during the ten years of his
pastorate, seventy-three on profession of their
faith. During his absence as chaplain in the army, in
the winter of 1862 and 63, the Rev. T. Wilcox,
in whom this church became much interested, served as
pastor for a time, and for a few months in the first
of 1870, while he was absent in New Orleans for the
benefit of his health, the Rev. J. K. Grun,
missionary at Broosa, Turkey, supplied the pulpit.
The Rev. D. R. McNab began his labors serving the
church very acceptably. At every communion season
during his ministry members were received into
church-fellowshiptwelve of the twenty-one
uniting on profession. The Rev. S. F. Millia* entered
upon his labors in January, 1873, with more than a
general average number of additions to the church,
twenty-six of whom were united on profession of their
faith. Rev. S. F. Millika* was succeeded by Rev. C.
C. Cragin, the present incumbent. Under his pastorate
the church has been prosperous and has had an unusual
good influence in the community. The present
membership is about 135.
The Baptist Church As a result of efforts of
friends of the Baptist church, a meeting was held at
Kennidges Hall April 29, 1861. Rev. W. W. Moore
was called to the chair, and E. R. Barron was chosen
secretary. Articles of incorporation were adopted,
the incorporators being W. G. Luther, H. C. Martin,
Selah Bates, G. C. Cone, Thomas Arnold, W. L.
Calkins, George M. Colgate, D. G. Goodrich and E. R.
Barron, all of McGregor. May 6 another meeting was
held, and a constitution and by-laws were adopted.
The rapid growth of the society and its bright
prospects, associated with the prosperity of
McGregor, led the members to take steps toward the
erection of a suitable church edifice. In July of the
same year committees were appointed to select a site
for the house, to make estimates of the probable
expense, and to solicit subscriptions for building
the same. Subscriptions were liberally given, and the
society at once began the erection of a church, which
was completed in a few months.
The first pastor was W. W. Moore. Since him there
have been several pastors, among them Rev. L. M.
Whitman, Rev. C. L. Tucker, Rev. John Jackson, Rev.
Mr. Wright, Rev. E. R. Cressy and Rev. Thomas Ure.
Mr. Ure was their last pastor, the church
discontinuing services in 1880.
The Sunday-school connected with the church was
organized very soon after the church, and has had a
good membership since its organization. After the
church suspended, the Sunday-school continued its
meetings until the close of 1881. Since that time the
school has been organized as a mission school. The
Superintendent is Miss Mary Hofer; Secretary, Miss
Amelia Hofer; Treasurer, Miss Abbie Arnold;
Librarian, Miss Winnie Egbert; Organist, Miss Rowetta
The Episcopal Church was established in 1864. Among
the first members were: Lewis Benton, Mrs. Lewis
Benton, Dr. Frederick Andros, Isaac Matthews, Mrs.
Matthews, Miss Matthews. Later members were Dr. J.
Hunt, Mrs. Dr. Hunt, Mr. Bannard, wife and daughter,
now of Milwaukee, Mrs. Frank Hawley. Meetings were
held in the German Presbyterian Church. A Rev. Mr.
Caufield came about 1875 and remained two years, but
the society has never had any other regular pastor.
The society is not now organized.
Presbyterian Church In the spring of 1856 Rev.
Samuel Wells, laboring in the church extension
department of the General Assembly, Presbyterian
Church, was instrumental in the organization of a
church of that order, comprising Thomas Baugh and
wife, W.W. Allen and Mrs. William Paul. To this
congregation Rev. Mr. Price ministered statedly for
about one year.
The German Presbyterian Church was organized May 7,
1862, in the house of Jacob Kramer. The first members
were Jacob Kramer, Nicholas Kriebs, Peter Walter,
Charles Opitz, John Walter, John Cawelti, Martin
Knecht, Christian Bloedel, Charles Gerndt, Louis
Hartwig, Heinrich Gutheil, Heinrich Shuler, and
William Troutfetter, with their wives. The first
pastor was Rev. William Buchren, who had held
services for two or three months previous to the
public school-house. The same year, 1862, the society
erected a church at the north corner of Fifth and Ann
streets, at a cost of $965. Tower and bell, afterward
put up, cost $300. This church is the same which is
now used by the society.
After Mr. Buchren, who was with this congregation
eight years, Rev. Mr. Weiss came, remaining but a few
months. Then Rev. W. H. Bailey officiated two years.
In 1873 Rev. G. F. Murray was called to the charge
and remained four years. He was succeeded by Rev.
Lucas Abel, who preached about eighteen months. Then
Rev. John Leyer accepted the pastorate, and he is the
Jacob Kramer and Charles Opitz were the first Elders;
Peter Walter and Martin Knecht were the first
Trustees. William Troutfetter and Jacob Kramer are
the present Elders, and Frederich Kurz, G. F. Widman
and William Troutfetter are the present Trustees.
The church will seat about 120 persons comfortably,
and is a frame structure. The present membership is
about forty. The church was most prosperous about
1865, when it had a membership of seventy. Many have
since moved away, and hence the membership is now
smaller, as is that of most other churches in
There is a good Sunday-school connected with this
church, meeting every Sunday, which has a membership
of eighty-four. Wm. Troutfetter is the
Superintendent. There are fourteen teachers. The
Sunday-school library is in good condition, and
contains a number of German publications of merit.
The German Lutheran Church was organized about 1862.
Rev. Mr. Himmler was the first pastor. Among the
first members were Michael Malsly, Mr. Ringling, Mr.
Shuler, Mr. Haverly, Mr. Stamm and Mr. Schmidt, and
their families. August Kurzrock and others afterward
joined the church. Their church was built soon after
the society was organized. It is twenty by thirty,
frame, and will seat about 100.
Since Mr. Himmler, their pastors have all come over
from Prairie du Chien to hold services, generally
once in two weeks.
St. Marys Church This congregation
attached to the church was properly established in
the year 1855. Although visited occasionally by other
clergymen, there was no resident pastor till the
arrival of the Rev. Richard Nagle.
The first religious exercises of the Catholics of
McGregor were celebrated in a little home, owned by
Mr. Patrick OBrien, on Ann street. As the
congregation increased a church was soon built near
Third street. Several additions were made to the
church from time to time as necessity demanded and
the taste and means of the congregation permitted.
Father Nagle remained connected with St. Marys
Church till the year 1868. On the first Sunday after
Easter, 1868, Rev. Bart Lenehan was appointed as
Shortly after his arrival he formed a Catholic
school. This school was composed of but a few
children in the beginning, but as the population of
McGregor increased a new school was required. The
Sisters of Charity took charge of the school and have
remained till the present, laboring strenuously for
this cause of instruction.
Father Lanehan was succeeded by Rev. Martin Dunn, who
remained but a few months, when Father Sullivan took
charge of the parish. During Father Sullivans
pastorate the present parochial residence was built.
During the repairing of the Cathedral Father Sullivan
was moved to Dubuque.
After Father Sullivan the next resident pastor was
Rev. Mr. OCarroll, who came to McGregor on Feb.
9, 1876. During his pastorate a desire was manifested
to move the church to the head of Main street, but
this was not to be accomplished, for before this
desire could be materialized the church was burned to
the ground, some supposing it to be the work of an
incendiary. Being destitute of insurance the building
and furniture was of course a total loss. Steps were
immediately taken to re-build, but Father
OCarroll was not left to accomplish his design
and he was succeeded by Rev. Father Brennan. Father
Brennan remained but ten months here though in his
time the corner-stone of the new church was laid.
Failing health Father Brennan retired and was
succeeded by the present incumbent, Rev. Garrett T.
Nagle, of Dubuque.
Though young and having just completed his seminary
course at Montreal, Canada, and having served six
months as pastor and assistant at the Cathedral of
Dubuque, still he has none the less courage to
attempt the task of building a church.
The proposed edifice is at the head of Main street;
dimensions, fifty by eighty; height, twenty-five
feet; tower, seventeen feet spire, 150 feet high;
material, stone and brick, Gothic style, costing when
completed about $10,000. It will be enclosed in the
fall of 1882.
Bezer Lodge, No. 135, A. F. & A. M., was
organized in the early part of 1857. George L. Bass,
John Chambers, G. W. P. Harding, Samuel L. Janes, G.
S. C. Scott and M. J. Brown met Feb. 19, 1857, at a
room previously arranged as a Masonic Hall. They met
under dispensation granted them by the Most Worthy
Grand Master of the State of Iowa, J. F. Sanford,
dated Jan. 24. This dispensation appointed George L.
Bass, W. M.; John Chambers, S. W.; G. W. P. Harding,
J. W. G. S. C. Scott was appointed Secretary of this
meeting. It was received to hold this first regular
meeting of Bezer Lodge at their hall, Monday, Feb.
The officers appointed at the first meeting served
until the charter was granted, which was not until
June 7, 1858. Among the first members, besides the
officers above mentioned, were Robert Grant, John G.
Bass, Jedediah Brown, D. D. Fraser, Ira Hurlbut, H.
B. George, M. J. Fraser, J. S. Wilson, M. M. Sherman,
D. Baugh, S. M. Sampson, T. M. Hopkins, B. Strouse,
D. S. Cook, Lemuel McKinney, Isaac Cramer, O. F.
Brewer, E. Bradley and P. G. Parker.
The lodge has always prospered, and, although its
membership was at first small, it has always been
animated by one purpose of fraternal love, and its
proceedings have always been marked with harmony.
The lodge meets the first Monday in each month, at
Masonic Hall. The present membership is 74, and the
lodge is in a thriving condition. The present
officers, elected in May, 1882, are: M. T. Kennedy,
W. M.; George Keen, S. W.; D. D. Fraser, J. W.
C. H. Barron, Treas.; H. W. Burlingame, Sec.; G. R.
Luther, S. G.; H. D. Bowen, J. D.; J. Hirshfeld, S.
S.; A. F. Hofer, J. S.; E. Hopkins, Tyler.
Clayton Chapter, No. 27, was organized under
dispensation, Oct. 29, 1860, at Masonic Hall in
McGregor, by Companion N. Pullman, as proxy for the
G.H. P. of Iowa. The first members were E. Bradley,
B. Strouse, J. Williamson, P. G. Wright, O. Hough, J.
Kenelly, L. R. Nicholson, J. H. Bader, N. Pullman and
A. Loebentritt. The officers elected first were: E.
Bradley, H. P.; N. Pullmann, King; G. P. Wright,
Scribe. Other officers were appointed temporarily.
The charter was received July 10, 1861, and the first
officers elected under it were: E. Bradley, H. P.; G.
L. Bass, K.; G. S. C. Scott, S.; E. R. Barron, C.H.;
B. Strouse, P. S.; J. T. Stoneman, R. A. C.; O. C.
Lee, Treas.; T. Updegraff, Sec.
The chapter has been highly prosperous during the
twenty-one years of its existence, and now numbers
seventy-four. The present officers are: G. R. Luther,
H.P.; Borren Curley, K.; W. A. McDonald, S.; W. R.
Kinnaird, T.; H. C. Clark, C. H.; George Keen, P. S.;
Theodore Brown, R. A. C.; W. C. Austin, G. M.3dV.;
August Benson, G. M. 2dV.; Charles Fox, G. M. lst
V.;E. Hopkins, Sent.; N. W. Williver, Sec. The
chapter meets the first Friday in each month at
Honorius Commandery, No. 8, was organized April 19,
1866, by John C. Baker. The first officers were: John
C. Baker, E. C.; H. H. Hemmingway, G.; Z. H. Sherwin,
C. G.; John C. Rudd, S.W.; Benedict, J. W.; W. H.
Thompson, W.; P. B. Mason, S. B.; George E. Baker,
Sentinel; John C. Baker, Prelate. The present
officers are: J. P. Patrick, E. C.; R. Hubbard, G; H.
H. Clark, C. G.; D. Baugh, Prelate; W. R. Hubbard, G;
H. H. Clark, C. G.; D. Baugh, Prelate; W. R.
Kinnaird, Treasurer; Charles Fox, Recorder; B.
Curley, S.W.; G. Keen, J. W.; F. Wilson, S. B.; M. T.
Kennedy, S. B.; W. Moncrief, Warder; E. Hopkins,
Sentinel. The present membership is thirty-eight. The
commandery meets the second Friday in each month in
Itasca Lodge, No. 111, I. O. O. F., was organized
Oct. 31, 1857, in the old brick school-house. The
first officers and charter members were: George C.
Harvey, N. G.; B. F. Spaulding, V. G.; L. F. Bigelow,
Treasurer; Horace Bagely, O. G.; H. C. Scott, P. S.;
Rayen Davidson, R. S. The present membership is
sixty. The lodge is very prosperous, in every way,
and owns $3,000 worth of property. The present
officers are: John Schott, N. G.; P. Anderson, V. G.;
H. C. Bloedel, R. S.; L. Hirshfeld, P. S.; T.
Farrington, Treasurer. The lodge meets in
Odd-Fellows Hall, Masonic Block.
Keystone Lodge, No. 111, A. O. U. W. was instituted
April 4, 1877, with a charter membership of
twenty-eight. The first M. W. was James A. Coard. It
meets in Williams Hall on the second and fourth
Wednesday of each month, and elects officers every
six months. The following have held the office of M.
W.; James A. Coard, George P. Lewis, D. E. Grout,
George D. Wells, W. P. Shaffer, John J. Clemens, Don
D. Fraser, Wm. J. Wallis, Joseph Killinger and George
H. Otis. There have been three deaths in the lodge
since its establishment, each of whom has received
$2,000. Their names are Joseph A. Ramage, died Feb.
5, 1878; Daniel J. Jones, drowned June 5, 1880; Homer
E. Newell, died Oct. 2, 1881. The lodge is in good
condition financially and otherwise. The present
membership is forty-eight. In the Grand Lodge of this
order, George P. Lewis represented the lodge until
the session of 1882.
Pocket City Lodge, No. 37 Iowa Legion of Honor
was organized in August, 1879, with twenty-five
charter members. The first President was John N.
Baird, who served two terms, and was then succeeded
by James A. Coard. The lodge meets the second and
fourth Mondays of each month. This organization,
similar to the other insurance organizations, has
been remarkably successful during its three
years existence. The Grand Lodge meets
biennially. The representative from this lodge at the
two sessions of the Grand Lodge has been both times
Colonel George H. Otis. The present membership is
McGregor Collegium, No. 90, V. A. S.; was organized
March 23, 1882, at the hall of the United Workmen, by
D. S. Malthy, Deputy Chief Rector of the Chief
Collegium of Iowa. There were thirty charter members.
The officers elected at the first meeting were J. P.
Patrick, Rector; W. R. Kinnaird, Vice-Rector; C. C.
Bicknell, Scribe; Q. A. Sloan, Quaestor; J. F.
Widman, Usher; C. W. Page, Speculator; J. N. Baird,
W. C. Koop and W. A. Hall, Curators. This collegium
is in a flourishing condition for one of its young
age, and is already one of the prominent societies of
McGregor. The V. A. S. fraternity was founded but
three years ago, though confined to Iowa, it already
numbers nearly a hundred collegiums. That at McGregor
meets the first Tuesday in each month.
The W. C. T. U. was organized Nov. 17, 1876, at the
Methodist Episcopal church, by Mrs. J. Allen Foster.
Among the first members were Mrs. C. C. Bicknell, who
was President of the organization for the first three
years, and has been always as now a prominent worker;
Mrs. N. H. Ellsworth, Secretary; Mrs. S. E. Lindsay,
Treasurer; Mrs. A. P. Richardson, Vice-President from
the Baptist church; Mrs. O. C. Buck, Vice-President
from the Methodist church, and Mrs. Alonzo Pearsall,
Vice-President from the Congregational church. Mrs.
Kinnaird, Mrs. Conant, Mrs. Sloan, Mrs. Hubbard
(deceased April 18, 1880), Mrs. A. M> Wedgewood
(President one year), and Mrs. A. T. Jones were among
the most prominent members, but they were ably
assisted by many other of the first ladies of
McGregor. Nearly all those whose names are given
above are still faithful workers in the cause, but
the total membership is somewhat reduced by removals
from the city and other causes. The present officers
are Mrs. J. B. Casebeer, President; Mrs. S. A.
Lindsay, Secretary; Mrs. W. S. Conant, Treasurer;
Mrs. Cragin, Vice-President, from the Congregation
church; Mrs. A. P. Richardson, from the Baptist
church; Mrs. C. C. Bicknell, from the Methodist. The
society now meets once in two weeks, three months in
the Methodist church and then three months in the
Congregationalist church by turns. The organization
has labored faithfully since its organization, and
has accomplished much good. It has continually gained
in the estimation of the citizens, and is now
recognized as one of the permanent missionary
organizations of the city of McGregor.
The I. O. G. T. formed a lodge in McGregor about
1858, which lived only about three years. It was
revived about 1865, living five years more. Among its
first members were E. B. Wakeman and wife, O. C. Buck
and wife, R. Davidson and wife, W. L. Calkins and
wife, Willis Drummond and wife. The lodge was at one
time very prosperous, having about fifty members
during its first existence, and nearly a hundred
after its revival. The society accomplished much good
work during its existence, and had a history as proud
as many that kept up a nominal existence much longer.
The Band of Hope organized in connection with the I.
O. G. T. lodge flourished many years and after the
lodge suspended the band was revived for a while.
The Tribe of Jonathan was organized March 3, 1878,
over Daniels shoe store. The first officers
were: C. B. Taylor, President; John Forsythe, Robert
Lindsay and Wm. Alden, Vice-President; Henry Bell,
Cor. Secretary; George Wood, Fin. Secretary; Robert
Lindsay, Treasurer; Thomas Wallace, Chaplain; Henry
Worden, Steward. The membership was about 200. The
organization held its last meeting in October, 1880,
though the officers still hold. A public reading-room
was supplied in connection with this, by the W. C. T.
U., in which several newspapers and periodicals were
kept on file.
THE YOUNG MENS REPUBLICAN
CLUB OF MCGREGOR
In June, 1879, the young men of McGregor and North
McGregor organized a Young Mens Republican
Club, the following officers being elected: George
Pearsall, President; C. F. Spalding, Secretary and
Treasurer; Ernst Hofer, H. A. Odell and H. A. Keen,
Executive Committee. Regular meetings were held and
seventy members enrolled. A mass meeting was held
under the auspices of the club just before the
October elections, Hon. Governor John H. Gear and U.
S. Senator Samuel T. Kirkwood addressing large
audiences at the Athenaeum. That year the club had a
representation among the delegates to the county
convention, and they did good, earnest work in the
campaign following. The constitution of the club sets
forth that it is the purpose of the organization to
inform its members concerning the politics of county,
State and nation. It adjures using the club influence
for any individual promotion. To the executive
committee is entrusted the general management of
club. On July 6, 1880, the club was reorganized for
the presidential campaign, and elected Bowen Curley,
President. W. E. Odell and J. H. Larson were added to
the executive committee, the other officers being
re-elected. Preparations were made for holding a
series of political meetings throughout the campaign.
The first speaker to address the club during the
memorable campaign of 1880 was D. B. Henderson, of
Dubuque, on Tuesday evening, Oct. 5. He delivered a
stirring speech. He was followed by able addresses by
Hon. E. H. Williams and Hon. F. B. Daniels, District
Elector. In 1881 the club reorganized, increased its
members to 100, and elected J. H. Larson, President,
the executive and financial committees remaining as
before, and the club met regularly until the last
President Garfield was assassinated, when they
adjourned sine die. The club will be fully prepared
to take an active part in the campaign of 1882, and
as it is a permanent organization its influence is
destined to be felt in the future.
North McGregor was incorporated as a town May 12,
1874. The petition for incorporation was dated Feb.
13, 1874, and was signed by George Keen and
thirty-five others. The vote on the question of
incorporation took place April 25, and stood
forty-five in favor, thirty-eight against. The first
election for town officers was held July 6, 1874. The
officers elected then and each year since have been
1874.Mayor, George Keen;
Councilmen, G. Wingen, D. Kerwin, L. Hanke, O.
Nelson, S. Ellis; Recorder, Peter Trahn.
1875.Mayor, J. S. Barr;
Councilmen, Thomas Edgar, L. Keen, G. Wingen. George
Crowns, George D. Wells; Recorder, M. L. Phelps;
Assessor, Ole Nelson; Treasurer, H. Rienow.
1876.Mayor, George Keen;
Councilmen, Lewis Keen, August Budde, Henry Rienow,
Thomas Edgar, Eli Rice; Recorder M.L. Phelps;
Assessor, Ole Nelson; Treasurer, G. Wingen.
1877.Mayor, George Keen;
Councilmen, Joseph Wissen, S. P. Gale, Henry Rienow,
Thomas Edgar, Michael Doyle; Recorder, H. A. Keen;
Assessor, Ole Nelson; Treasurer, G. Wingen.
1878.Mayor, W. P. Hancock;
Councilmen, John Hopkins, Ole Bratsburg, M. P.
Finley, S. P. Gale, M. L. Shugars; Recorder, H. A.
Keen; Assessor, Ole Nelson; Treasurer, G. Wingen.
1879.Mayor, W. P. Hancock;
Councilmen, Ole Bratsburgn, John Hopkins, Joseph
Wissen, M. L. Shurgars, Arthur Dunn; Recorder, H. A.
Keen; Assessor, Ole Nelson; Treasurer, G. Wingen.
1880.Mayor, D. E. Grout;
Councilmen, Ole Bratsburg, M. L. Shugars, Joseph
Wissen, W. H. Sloan, John ODonnell; Recorder,
D. J. Jones; Assessor, W. A. McDonald; Treasurer, G.
1881.Mayor, Henry Rienow;
Councilmen, W. H. Sloan, Thos. Edgar, M. L. Shugars,
Ole A. Bratsburg, John ODonnell; Recorder, D.
E. Grout; Assessor, W. W. Moncrief; Treasurer, G.
1882.Mayor, John Ecker;
Councilmen, M. P. Finley, Arthur Dunn, W. W. Wheeler,
James Presho, M. McNamara; Recorder, W. P. Hancock;
Assessor, W. N. Moncrief; Treasurer, G. Wingen.
The First School Board was --- George Keen,
President; W. W. Wheeler, Vice-President; Geo.
Spangler, Secretary, and A. T. Lipe, Treasurer;
Directors, John Moshmann, Henry Reinow, Anetrew
Scheckner. This board was elected the first day of
August, 1867. The present board, 1882, is George
Keen, President; W. N. Moncrief, Secretary; G.
Wingen, Treasurer; Directors Lewis Keen, John
ODonnel, W. T. Hancock, M. L. Shugars, J. T.
Jones. The school building was erected in 1865 and
rebuilt in 1869, at a cost of about $7,000. The
following persons have acted as Principals, serving
in the order named: T. W. Ana, E. B. Wakman, W. F.
Cook, Miss A. M. Stewart, C. A. Stowbridge, W. A.
McDonald, C. W. Bean, F. A. Sykes. The latter is the
This was established in 1858 by John Thompson and
George Keen, under the firm name of Thompson &
Keen. These gentlemen were in partnership till 1869,
when Mr. Keen purchased Mr. Thompsons interest
and ran the works for seven years. Then, in 1876, Mr.
Keen took his sons into partnership, and the foundry
is now conducted by Keen & Sons. Formerly the
firm did work almost exclusively for the railroad,
but now their business is more general in character.
They manufacture engines, mill-work and all kinds of
iron work. The original foundry was of brick, some
distance south of the present location. This shop he
leased to the railroad company for $2,400 a year, and
fitted up his present place temporarily. The largest
building is 46 x 80 feet. The next in size is 35 x 42
feet. Another is 32 x 40, and the smallest is 22 x
About eight men on an average are employed at this
foundry. The business is prosperous, and is quite an
important enterprise in North McGregor. It is located
on North Street, northwest of the railroad depot. Mr.
Keen is the brother of the Mr. Keen who built the
little steamboat on the Turkey River, whose peculiar
history is given elsewhere in this work.
The firm of W. & J. Flemming embarked in
business in 1863. In 1867 they built a small mill,
and the following year a gang mill was built. They
now do an immense business, employing 120 men, and
having a pay-roll of $5,000 per month. Their trade
extends all over the Northwest, and especially into
West McGregor was incorporated in March, 1881. The
following officers were then elected: Mayor, Michael
Klein; Recorder, V. R. Miller; Councilmen, J. G.
Kiesel and J. W. Hughes; Assessor, V. R. Miller.
There were forty-three signatures attached to the
petition for incorporation.
The West McGregor brewery was erected in 1857, by
Michael Burnetts. After two years Michael Klein and
John Van Staden purchased the brewery, and they
continued in partnership for twenty years. Michael
Klein then purchased Mr. Van Stadens interest
and is now the sole proprietor. About 1,000 barrels
of beer are manufactured annually in this brewery.
The main building is 50 x 100, and is valued at