This township was named by J.C.
Rounds, after a severe struggle with Judge Price, who
first named it Morasser, but assented to a change if
the township would vote for a change of the county
seat (the Judge was in favor of Guttenberg, and he
hoped to get the Marion vote for his favorite
location); the name was changed and the election
held, but not one vote was given for Guttenberg, and
Judge Price was disgusted. This is the fourth
township in as many different States that Mr. Rounds
has named Marion, viz: Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin
Marion Township is in the
western tier of Clayton County, and is township 94
north, range 6 west of the fifth principal meridian.
It is bounded on the north by Grand Meadow Township,
on the east by Wagner, on the south by Highland, and
on the west by Fayette County. It contains both
timber and prairie areas, much of which is now in a
good state of cultivation. The township is watered by
Turkey River, which flows through its southern half,
and numerous small tributaries.
The township was organized
in 1855. It had previously formed a part of Wagner
Township, and was in this year detached and organized
independently. The first election was held soon
after, at the house of Ole Oleson, section 15,
northeast one-quarter, in the month of April. Notices
for this election had been posted by J.C. Rounds. At
this election nineteen votes were polled. The
officers elected were: Clerk, J.C. Rounds; Justices
of the Peace, J.C. Rounds and Thomas J. Butcher;
Assessor, J.C. Rounds; Constable, Jacob Light;
Trustees, Willard Robbins and William Connor.
The present officers are:
Clerk, H.S. Holstensen; Assessor, Thomas Oleson;
Justices of the Peace, A.L. Peterson and E.E. Lein;
Trustees, William C. Barber, Ole Johnson and B.
Frieden; Constables, Ascrim Oleson and Jacob Paulson.
Before the present school
law came in force, there was but one school in the
township, and this was held on section 36. Who the
first teacher was is unknown. At the present time
there are nine school-houses, with an average value
of $300 each. The number of children in the township
of school age is 390.
J.C. Rounds solemnized the
first marriage, but no record was kept of their
The first death known was
that of a daughter of William Conner.
The first postoffice was
established in 1857. It is now the only east quarter
of section 2, at J.C. Rounds' house, he is the
Postmaster, and has been for some nine years. The
first Postmaster was Benjamin Worthing. The annual
receipts average about $100 per year.
The Marion Norwegian
Lutheran Church is situated on section 11, and was
built in 1873. It is 44 x 94 feet, 20 feet high, and
cost $5,600. The first sermon was preached May 27,
1873, by Rev. Ole Valdeland, who has continued as
pastor ever since. The present membership is about
The Apostolic Christian
Dunkard Church is located on section 20. They believe
in immersion, and have several peculiar tenets. The
first meeting was held in Michael Garber's house, in
the northeast quarter of section 30. Meetings were
held in private houses until 1854, when they procured
a preacher from the old country, Christian Bowman. He
served until January, 1870, when he died. The
congregation have built a substantial stone church,
28 x 40 feet, at a cost of $1,600. The membership
includes thirty families. The present pastor is Rev.