Range 3 west of the fifth
principal meridian. The first settlement was made in
1833 by Thos. Clinton, Martin, Moses and Jacob Van
Sickle. Three of the boys are dead. Clinton was
killed in McGregor, about one and a half years ago,
by a runaway team. The other brothers live near
McGregor. Edward Dickens and Sol. Wadsworth, Samuel
D. Peck and his brother Douglas, also came at an
early day. Samuel D. Peck is now the earliest settler
living in an area of twenty miles square. Henry
Hardin was the first child born in this township,
although Dudly Peck, a resident of the township, died
first. He died in the township of Millville, and is
now buried in Mallory Township. There are three
cemeteries in Mallory Township.
The first school-house was built on Mr. Peck's
land, near Osterdock. There are now eight
school-houses in the township.
The number of churches in the township is two.
Cumberland Presbyterian Church. - There is an
organization of this society in this township, but
the church edifice is in Millville.
There is a membership of fifty souls. The church
is in a healthy condition. There are two
Sabbath-schools in connection with this organization.
Their average attendance is about forty. The present
pastor is Rev. Joseph B. Howard.
Present officers - John Bolsinger, Frederick
Schrunk, Francis Palmer, Clerk of the Session; Mr.
Gull, Mr. Tweedy and George Hansel are the Elkers.
Fairview Church of United Brethren in Christ,
located on section 20. It was organized in 1854, by
Luther McVey, J.A. Slick and wife, and others. The
first services of this denomination were held in
Colesburg. Luther McVey was the first pastor, and
served six months. Enoch Fothergill was the next
pastor and served two years; Wm. Dollarhide, one
year; R.W. Kaughman, one year; Joseph Foster, one
year; I.L. Lockridge, one year. About this time J.A.
Slick became a licentiate, and was called to take
charge; form that time until the present he has been
the local minister, much of the time having full
charge. There have been a number of revival seasons
of great interest, under Rev. Haufman, Slcik, and G.
H. Watrous. At the Mound School-house, Rev. Slick
also conducted a revival season of much interest. The
house of worship was built in 1859; it is 26 x 36
feet in size, and cost about $500. J.A. Slick, James
Ridenour, C. White, H. Hatfield and W. Long are
trustees. There have been about 300 members in all;
present membership 140. The condition of the church
is good. There is a Sunday-school of about 17
scholars just organized; the Superintendent is Rev.
J.A. Slick; the present pastor is G.H. Walrous.