Grace United Methodist Church Centennial, 1872-1972 Royal, Iowa
This historical contains a timeline, early member names and photos.
Royal Methodist Church Passes Fiftieth Milestone This Week
Eben Bailey Builder Willow Creek Church
[Unreadable] in Royal and Renamed Royal Methodist Church in 1918,
Rev. H.V. Bartz present Pastor
During the summer of 1889 Eben Bailey, a pioneer builder of this territory, constructed the original Willow Creek Methodist Episcopal church building. His helper was Mr. [unreadable]. September 15th of the same year, the record says, they had their dedication services. Prior to this time services had been held in the Willow Creek school house.
Fifty years later, Sunday, Sept. 17, the present congregations of about 75 families, returning members and former pastors and many friends of the church will gather in a celebration of the golden anniversary of the church. It is located in Royal, has been changed in many respects and the name of the organization is now Royal Methodist Church. Rev. H.V. Bartz is the present pastor. Rev. Bartz jointly serves the Royal and Peterson parishes.
Dr. Hutchinson Speaks
Morning Services will start at 9:30 with Dr. H.E. Hutchinson of Sioux City as a speaker, Sunday school as usual will be at 10:15 a.m. At noon, one of the features of the day will be held, a fellowship dinner. Everyone is urged to come and enjoy this covered dish dinner. The committee asks that your own dishes, sandwiches and a covered dish be brought.
The historical services will be held in the afternoon at the church starting at 2:30 o'clock. The history of the church will be read. Letters from former pastors, members and friends will be read at this time.
Invitations have been extended to former pastors, members and friends and it is planned to have a few words from several of these.
Has Interesting History
Bits of information regarding the early history and progress of the church have been gleaned.
Among the early settlers of Willow Creek community who were leaders in organizing and building the church were George Towner, John Winterhalter, John Watts, A.E. Randall, Therin Bailey, Joe French, "Grandma" Nicholson and her family, P.C. Blackmer.
Harry Chamberlain gave an acre of land on which the church was built.
The church cost of $1,500 was all paid in cash before or by the time of dedication.
Methodist services were held first in Royal by Rev. E.J. Huston beginning in 1901. The congregations in the Christian Church building. For 17 years worship was held here until in 1918 the Willow Creek church was moved to Royal and became the Royal Methodist Church.
The pastor served the Royal and Rossie congregations from 1912 to 1924. From 1924 to 1926 Royal and Everly were served together. The next two years a minister was engaged to spend full time with the Royal parish. From 1928 to 1933 Moneta and Royal were grouped together. In 1933 the Royal and Peterson Methodist churches were served by the same pastor which arrangement has continued to the present time.
The present officers of the church are:
Trustees: Peter Beck, Frank Bauman, Arthur Warren, S.C. Anderson, Will Franker, J.C. Johnston.
Stewards: Peter Beck, Winfield Bailey, Frank Bauman, Will Franker, Mrs. Angie French, Mrs. Alpha Jaeger,
Henry Dumkrieger, Mrs. Henry Dumkrieger, Mrs. Peter Beck, C.M. Pederson, Mrs. Winfield Bailey, Mrs. Mattie Morgan.
Committees for the 50th anniversary Celebration:
Invitations: Mrs. Henry Dumkrieger, Peter Beck.
Historical: John Martin, Mr. and Mrs. J.C. Johnston, Mrs. Angie French, Will Franker, Mrs. W.M. Bailey.
Music: Mrs. C.M. Pederson, Noreen Morgan, Wilma Hoegterp.
Flowers: Miss Mattie Hepworth, Mrs. Dale Youde, Mrs. Eldon Lemaster.
Source: The Peterson Patriot, Peterson, Clay County, Iowa; September 14, 1939.
Contributed by: Joan Hanlon