A sketch of the history of Clarke county, written in 1875 by D.K. Linder , and recently furnished The Sentinel by E.O. Ashley of Des Moines, confirms some of the known history and disputes some other. Linder claims Amanda Lamson was the first white child born in the county, while others say Mrs. Foster was born first. Certainly there was very little difference in their ages. Mrs. Fannie Galloway, daughter of Mrs. Foster, says her mother was born in the spring and Miss Lamson in the fall.
Historical Sketch by Linder
The first stock dealer in the county was Granville Holland, who began in 1858 to buy hogs in Knox township at$1.50 per hundred. The first deed recorded in the county was April 30, 1853, from J. A. Lindsley to Joseph Norris. The first last will and testament made in the county was June 3, 1852, by John N. Dobson. The first administrator was J. M. Linder, on the estate of the above deceased. The first marriage in the county was. D. Webster to Miss Perry. the first in town was D. A. Waynick and Martha E. Sherer. The first birth in the county was Florence A., daugher of Mr. and Mrs. M. R. Lampson. The first death in the county was Mrs. Clevenger; the first in town, Mary Hurst.
Clarke county used to be called Canaan, and some of the counties north, about the Three River country, were called Egypt, because we had to go there to buy corn. The Egyptians and Canaanites were on good terms, owing to the fact we wanted something to eat, and they wanted money.
The Osceola Sentinel press started in 1859, by G. S. Pike and T. R. Oldham, first publishing the Osceola Courier, now the weekly Osceola Sentinel. In 1874, the Osceola Beacon, by H. C. Ayres, the same year the New Era, by J. M. Estes. The first banking house by H. C. Sigler, in 1868. The Osceola Bank, by G. H. Cowles, started in 1869.
Osceola's fine school house was built in 1868; cost $23,000. Six religous denominations have good buildings for worship in Osceola. There are 32 manufacturers in the county, and 7 steam engines, 108 hands employed. Population in 1850 was 55. Now it exceeds 10,000.
Source: Osceola Centennial Issue 1851-1951, section 7, page 8.
Return to County History