This store is the J. C. Harrison grocery. Harrison, a Civil War veteran, came to Osceola in 1866 to visit a wartime friend, Jim Reed. Reed had opened a grocery here at the close of the war. Harrison liked the country and stayed, entering a partnershp with Reed. Harrison later became sole owner and it was known as the Harrison grocery until his death some 20 years ago. This picture was taken in the 90's. Man in the silk hat is Harrison. Next to him is John Kierulff.Source: Osceola Centennial Issue...1851 to 1951, Osceola Sentinel, August 2, 1951, Section 3, p. 1.
Return to Business