History of Ottawa
The first known church services were held by the Methodist denomination in the Lindsay Coppock home in 1854. Their minister was Rev. Allen Johnson of Chariton. Catharine Coppock sold land on August 18, 1855, to School District Two for the Ottawa school. This school was located on lot 8, block 7 and was built of logs. Methodist Church services were held in the school after its construction.
The articles of incorporation of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Ottawa were signed and sealed November 30, 1860, to build a parsonage. The names listed were: Archibald Lowery, Cam Thomas, Joseph Chanmbers, Josiah Critchfield, and Nelso Case (of Chariton).
Source: Lynette Davis
Return to Church Directory