|Willow Township, Cherokee County, IA
Organized in 1870. Early settlers were Moses Pearson and family in
1866, G.B. Gano in July of 1866. They were followed by Martin and son
John Guilliams, Joseph Cowen, Henry Gipe, A.J. Whisman, Mr. Pearson,
G.W. Rany, Jacob Hamilton, Moses D. Purdy, and Robert and Stephen
Post office: Washta
Death: wife of Alexander Brown in the spring of 1868
Marriage: A.C. Gipe and Jane Rany in the spring of 1867
School-house: made of logs and was built in 1867. It was taught by Mrs.
R.M. Dewey. The first frame school was built in 1868.
First goods sold: Dwight Edmonds in 1878
Fatalities: during the summer of 1874 three Armitage children ate what
they thought to be wild artichoke (it was wild parsnip - a deadly
poison). Two survived.
Village of Washta
Washta means "good" in Indian. It was platted in 1887.
First Church and building: Congregational Church in 1887
First business: E.M. Gatchell, Bunn & Mattoon, E. Stratton and
Felter & Brackney
First store to open: general merchandise run by George Stratton in 1886
Blacksmith: W.W. Meredith
Shoemaker: W.A. Henderson
Harness-maker: J.H. Shelton
Hardware: Bunn & Mattoon
Grocery and Crockery: A. Bunn
Jeweler: James McDonald
Furniture: C. Barwick
Grain dealer: James Robertson
Lumber dealer: James Robertson
Hotel: The Washta House built by John McCoun in 1887-88
Milliner: Miss Lucy Mower
Physician/Surgeon: W.T. Balah
Druggist: J.R. Mower
Agricultural implement dealer: Bunn & Mattoon
Livery: A.W. Bishop
Wagon shop: Smith & Wilcox
Bank: Bank of Washta, owned by James Robertson with his son James Jr.
Newspaper: The Herald started by G.W. Bailey, who removed to Quimby and
was replaced by The Independent.
Village of Quimby
Was platted in 1887 and named after F.W. Quimby, one of the officials
on the Illinois Central Railroad.
Building: Grain elevator in 1887
Mercantile: A.J. Clark
Druggists/Grocers: Smith & Shaul, 1888
Hardware: E.F. Leonard
Furniture: A.J. Raymond
Agricultural implements: E.F. Leonard
Lumber: J.P. Dickey
Harness-maker: A. Meeker
Shoemaker: A.A. Perrin
Wagon shop: Mr. Parker
Meat marker: J.D. Smith
Hotel: D.S. Simmons in 1887, followed by The Valley House in 1888 by
Doctor: Dr. P. McGregor
Milliners: the Misses Lauer
Barber: John Pierce
Liveryman: D.S. Simmons
Bank: is represented by Soyster & Son
Postoffice: 1887 and the first postmaster was A.J. Clark
Methodist Episcopal, organized and a church built in 1889
United Presbyterian, church built in 1889
SOURCE: Biographical History of Cherokee County. W. S. Dunbar & Co., 1889.
Return to Township Index
Return to Home Page