|Pitcher Township, Cherokee County, IA
Early settlers included Harvey Wamsley in 1867. He was
followed by the Hon. Horatio Pitcher, John Fletcher and
J. Robinson in 1868.
By 1870, the following men were listed
in the poll-books: Hugh and William Fraser, Ruben R.
Whitney, Oscar Chase, Daniel Wightman, William Farrar,
Ed. Morgan, Daniel McMullen, Benjamin F. Jennings, Horatio
Pitcher, Calvin McMullen, John H. Gregory, Blair Severence,
Harvey Wamsley, James, N. Rice, Henry Bremer, John Fletcher,
John Robinson, George Gardner, Francis McGuire, John McGuire,
Samuel Foust, Adam Lutz, William Perkins, Jacob Foust,
John J. Hitchcock, William Hitchcock, Robert D. Russell,
Davison Russell, J.B. Chapin, and E.M. Giles.
Birth: Carrie Whitney, November 1869.
School: Taught by Miss Wheeler in 1869
House: built by Horatio Pitcher in 1869
Fatal accidents: a man was crushed by a threshing machine
when the bridge he was crossing collapsed. The second was a
Mrs. Grisby, killed during the cyclone of 1885.
Christian-earliest services were held in the school house
Dunkard (German Baptist) 1876
Mt. Zion Bretheren Church 1883
City of Aurelia
Named after the daughter of John I. Blair of railroad fame.
It was platted in 1873 as a station on the Illinois Central
Business: the general store of Clarkson & Simpson
Residence: built by R.R. Whitney
Hotel: W.C. Marsh in 1876 known as the Marsh House.
It was destroyed by fire in 1883.
Grain warehouse: R. R. Whitney in 1871
Grain elevator: Clarkson & Simpson in 1872
Lumber dealer: R.R. Whitney
Live-stock dealers: Clarkson & Simpson in 1872
Druggist: George Enright in 1877
Agricultural implements: Chase & Davis
Hardware dealer: S.A. Frisbie in 1876
Furniture dealer: C.C. Gre in 1878
Livery: Nelson & Siglin in 1877-78
Meat market: Ed. Daniels
Jeweler: J.W. McMillen
Physician/Surgeon: Dr. W.F. Quirk in 1877
Attorney: F.R. Willis
Bank: Bank of Aurelia, 1881
Newspaper: was printed in at Storm Lake and edited at
Aurelia. G.L. Bailey established the Clincher, which
changed to the Independent.
Blacksmith: S. J. Reimstead
Wagon shop: Peter Johnson
Harness-maker: C.R. Kleeberger
Shoemaker: Henry Bischel
Postmaster: George Simpson
Methodist Episcopal organized 1878, church built in 1881
German Lutheran formed June 1889
Scandinavian Lutheran organized in 1876, church built in
Congregational organized in 1883, church built in 1885
Pleasant Hill Cemetery
SOURCE: Biographical History of Cherokee County. W. S. Dunbar & Co., 1889.
Return to Township Index
Return to Home Page