USGenWeb Cherokee County Iowa IAGenWeb

Afton Township, Cherokee County, IA

The first to effect a settlement in what is now known as Afton Township were Daniel R. WHEELER and his two grown daughters, all of whom took up homesteads on section 32, in 1868. Mr. Wheeler's daughters' names were Miranda and Mary. The father and two daughters took their clams and built a dwelling (such as it was) which stood on the corners of the several pieces.

First settlers: E.D. COLMAN, John TERWILIGER, William CROUCH, John MAINE, Thomas HOSKKINS, Josiah ARMSTRONG, Asa ARMSTRONG, George W. BALDWIN, M. SMITH, A. GIFFORD, S. PLACE, William CLOVER, Solomon CLOVER, William WHIPPLE, John COLMAN, James RICHARDSON, John D. BLAKE, W.D. LATHROP, George FUNK, J.A. SANBORN, James. L. LONGACRE, Samuel SUTTON, George SUTTON, Samuel SEXTON, Daniel STEINHOFF, George W. BENSON, Jacob RICE, Abraham WARD.

First Events
Birth: a child born to Mr. and Mrs. NEWMAN in 1869
Death: the father of Daniel STEINHOFF in 1869
School: taught by Miss Mary WHEELER at her claim building in 1869.

Churches
Methodist Episcopal built in 1887

Afton Cemetery
In 2007, the DAR donated a directory to the Afton cemetery grounds.
Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery

SOURCE: The township history was excerpted from Biographical History of Cherokee County. W. S. Dunbar & Co., 1889.

Return to Township Index

Return to Home Page