The Afton Township Methodist Church existed in the late 1800's and early 1900's.
The first Afton Methodist Church was built in Afton Township about 1887 and was located at the NW corner of Section 16.
This building burned early in 1903. A new church was built in the SW corner of Section 4 which is one mile east of the Afton Cemetery. It was dedicated in September, 1903. The cost of the church was $2100 and every cent of the amount had been paid before the dedication.
The church closed in 1917 and the building was bought by Will Riley who moved it to his farm, which is 1/4 mile south of the Afton Cemetery, and made it into a house. The church shared a minister with the Larrabee Methodist Church and yet today the church records are at the Larrabee Methodist Church.
The records indicate that many of the members were baptized in the Little Sioux River at the Stoner Bridge. Don Blake also has a copy of the church records.
Names of the early members are: WARD, LOUCKS, BLAKE, MAIN, SMITH, WARE, MELTON, DAVENPORT, KING, JONES, GOULD, SANBORN, CANNON, OGLE, CAVE, TILTON, DUNN, ZWICK