Cerro Gordo County Iowa
Part of the IaGenWeb Project
The Globe Gazette
MASON CITY — Several North Iowa barns will be part of the Iowa Barn Foundation's free, two-day, self-guided all-state barn tour Sept. 19 and 20 from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
The purpose of the tour is to encourage barn preservation in the state, to teach young people about Iowa's rich agricultural heritage and to renew pride in this unique heritage. Owners will discuss the barns and their histories at many stops. Visitors are expected from around the country.
The tour is free, although donations to support the foundation's work are appreciated.
Here is a list of North Iowa barns included. For more information on other barns visit www.iowabarnfoundation.org.
DREYER barn, 102 310th St., Fenton. From the southside of Fenton turn west onto B19, go 3/4 miles west to second place south of the road.
The farm has been in the family since 1900 and the barn was built in 1903. It was used as a dairy barn until 1944. It includes a 1,000-gallon wooden water storage tank in the hayloft and an intact manure unloading system.
HAUGEN barn, 18446 420th St., Leland. Go north out of Leland on Highway 69 to 420th Street. Turn right onto 420th Street. It is the first place on the north side.
The barn was built in 1915. In 1924 Peter HAUGEN enlarged it using a handsaw to split the barn in two. He added to the middle.
TENOLD barn, 4356 Wheelerwood Road, Northwood. Exit Interstate 35 at Kensett/Joice. Go 1/4 mile west to Wheelerwood Road. Turn north and travel 2.5 miles. The barn is across from what was the town of Tenold on the Iowa map until 1960.
ROCKAFELLOW barn, 22881 Vine Ave., Plymouth. From Rock Falls go one mile north on the county blacktop. The barn is on the east side of the road.
This 32-by-52 foot barn with a metal cupola was building in 1930 and is one of the only barns standing in the area. It was in vulnerable condition when the YEZEKS started the restoration project.
BENNETT Barn, 1664 Eagle Ave., Latimer. Take Interstate 35 to Highway 3. Turn west onto Highway 3 and go one mile to Eagle Avenue. Turn north and got 2.5 miles.
The clay tile barn with round laminated rafter roof was built in 1950 by HENNING Construction Co., Latimer, for a dairy herd. The cow stanchions had drinking cups; there is a chain-lift manure carrier.
KLOUSIA barn, 1766 165th St., Hampton. From the intersection of Highways 3 and 65 turn east for two miles. Then travel north for two miles and finally west one-fourth mile to the barn.
The barn, of peg construction, is on a hill with a farmstead. The owner copied a Wisconsin dairy barn when he built it in 1888. The barn was placed on the most prominent position on the farm.
DODD Barn, 1854 40th St., Ackley. Travel four miles west of Ackley on Highway 57. Turn north onto S55 for two miles to 40th Street. Go 1/2 mile west.
The barn was built by Ernest ALDINGER, one of the three ALDINGER brothers who built farms within a mile of each other.
BLAZEK barn, 1755 Ridgeway Blvd., Lawler. Turn off Highway 24 into Lawler. Go north through Lawler to V46. Follow V46 three miles to the farm.
The large barn had a drive-through center where teams of horses pulled and unloaded full loads of hay. Barn dances were held in the early 1900s.
YOUNKER Family Heritage Farm barn, 25734 Highway 57, Parkersburg. Take Highway 14 north of U.S. Highway 20 to Highway 57 and turn east.
This large (112-by-30- foot) barn has been in the same family since the barn was built in 1875. It was recently restored by Eleanor TOSTLEBE PETERSON and family.
SPARKS barn, 15737 E. Ave., Alden. Take Alden/Buckeye exit off of U.S. Highway 20. Go north to D25. Go west to E. Avenue. "G. HERMAN, 1923, Dubuque," is painted on the west inside wall of the large barn.
Transcription by Sharon R. Becker, May of 2011
Return to History Index Page Return to Cerro Gordo Home Page