Cerro Gordo County Iowa
Part of the IaGenWeb Project
The Globe Gazette
50th Year of Priesthood
Was Son of Pioneer Iowans
After Whom Town Was Named
WATERLOO - The Rt. Rev. Msgr. Edward J. DOUGHERTY, pastor of the Sacred Heart Catholic church at Waterloo, began his 51st year of religious service on Thursday, Dec. 17. In the course of those 50 years, he has served the Holy Family Catholic church in Mason City when the church was built, and was pastor of the Assumption church at Cresco when that building was erected.
The Rev. Father DOUGHERTY was born in Dougherty in 1868, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel [Mary (GALLAGHER)] DOUGHERTY. He was one of 16 children. His mother and father were pioneer settlers of Cerro Gordo county, coming here from Pennsylvania in 1856. The town of Dougherty and also Dougherty township were named after Monsignor DOUGHERTY'S father.
He was graduated from St. Joseph's college, Dubquque, now known as Loras college, and was ordained a priest at the Grand seminary of the Sulpician order in Montreal on Dec. 17, 1892. He then spent a year at the Catholic university of America in Washington, D.C., where he prepared himself for missionary work.
His start came in December of 1893 when he was appointed pastor of Mount Carmel Catholic church at Eagle Center. After five years there, he went to St. Mary's church at Waverly.
For the following six years, he traveled throughout the United States in the cause of missionary work. From 1901 until 1918, he was at Mason City, following which he went to the Sacred Heart church at Oelwein.
The years between 1924 and 1930 found him rector of the cathedral at Dubuque and dean of that area. He came to Waterloo in April, 1934, and three years later he was appointed a domestic prelate with the title of monsignor by Pope Pius XI.
Monsignor DOUGHERTY is a member of the Black Hawk county civilian defense committee and a member of the Chamber of Commerce.
Transcriptions by Sharon R. Becker, March of 2011
Msgr. Edward J. Dougherty Obituary Return to Biography Index Page Return to Cerro Gordo Home Page