Cerro Gordo County Iowa
Part of the IaGenWeb Project
"Eau Claire County."
Page 313. Western Historical Co. Chicago. 1881.
Dr. W. W. Allen
Dr. W. W. Allen came to Eau Claire in the Spring of 1857, and with George W. Sanford opened the first shanty store in the village. It was situated where Ingram & Kennedy's warehouse now stands, on the banks of the Chippewa. It was occupied by the firm of Allen & Sanford until the completion of their store on the west side, near the post-office. Dr. Allen left Eau Claire with Capt. Wheeler's company, in the Fall of 1863, and on the re-organization of the 2d Wis. Regiment, was appointed assistant surgeon. He continued with the regiment until mustered out, at the close of the war, and then settled in Mason City, Iowa, where he died and was buried, on the 20th of June, 1878. The newspapers of Mason City spoke of him as having done more than any other man for the permanent improvement of that town. For his fine, genial, social nature, he was esteemed by old and young.
Transcription by Sharon R. Becker, November of 2013
- Return to Cerro Gordo Biography Index Page
- Return to Cerro Gordo Home Page