Carroll County IAGenWeb
Biographies

"The Carroll Herald"
Sketches Index

Manning
The Iowa Southwestern Railroad was laid across Warren township in the southwesterly discretion in 1880. When the following year the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Co. built it's line to Omaha through the southern part of Carroll county it was perceived that the intersection of the two roads was a favorable sight for a new town. The land that was laid out as a town was selected by O. H. Manning, then a Carroll agent for the officials of the St. Paul Railroad Company. The latter named the place in honor of Mr. Manning. About 160 acres on the south half of section 16, Warren township was laid out into lots, the first of which was sold July 28, 1881 to J. L. Weatherill of Carroll. Manning's school building is a frame structure in the northeast part of town and gas built in 1883 at the cost of $7,000. It is two stories in height and contains six rooms. Four teachers were employed at first and now six are found necessary. There are three organization represented the M. E., Presbyterian and the Catholic. All are in prosperous condition. Manning has several societies all of which are in good prosperous condition. Some of the more important are Manual Lodge No 450, AF & AM; Manning Lodge No 122 I.O.O.F.; McPherson Post No 33, GAR; Manning Lodge No 262  A.O.U.W.; and the Manning Union Fair and Driving Park Association. The growth of the town has been steady and kept pace with the development of the surrounding country the population now being about 1,600.
~~~~~
James L. Martin
James L. Martin was born in Mt. Pleasant, Henry county, Iowa, May 25th 1866. He attended the public schools in his native town until he arrived at the age of twelve when he entered Howe's Academy, a noted institution of south-eastern Iowa and finished the prescribed course in three years, graduating in 1882, being especially proficient in English and the Latin language. He taught school three years and then entered the Iowa Western University until the summer of 1892. In the fall of 1892 he abandoned the profession of teaching and entered the law department of the State University of Iowa and took a course of law graduating with honors in June 1894 and receiving the degree of L. L. B. bachelor of laws and was admitted to practice in the state and federal courts. In August of the same year he opened a law office in Carroll and is considered one of the most progressive members of the Carroll county bar. In politics he is a republican and an ardent admirer of President McKinley having gone in St. Louis to see him nominated.

James L. Martin
~~~~~

E.L. Eassley

National Normal School and Business College
NATIONAL NORMAL AND BUSINESS COLLEGE
The National Normal School and Business College was organized by E. L. Essley seven years ago in an old hotel building. The enrollment being nineteen the first day and reaching over forty the first term and exceeding ninety at the end of the second term. It was evident that more genial and commodious quarters were needed. Accordingly, the people of Glidden, with the energetic characteristic of the Western people, lost no time in erecting one of the most elegant college buildings in the state. Next in importance to a college building is a commodious, well arranged and properly managed dormitory. Hence no time was lost in erecting such an edifice near the college building. Prof. Essley, whose portrait is shown on this page, is still at the head of the school and his scholarship and superior executive ability have won the confidence and respect of the faculty and patrons of the school and the board of trustees have expressed the desire of the public in contracting with him for three years longer.  Prof. W. E. Atkinson, one of Iowa's leading educators in now associated with Prof. Essley in the management of this popular progressive school.
~~~~~
John Nockels
John Nockels came to this country from Luxemburg when a boy and settled at Dubuque, Iowa. After remaining there a short time he came to Carroll while it was yet a small village on an unbroken prairie. This was in the early seventies. He was a tailor by trade and went to work at his trade here in town. He soon built up quite a business in a small way in the merchant tailor business. As the years went by he continued to increase his stock and acquire new customers. Mr. Nockels is now one of the wealthiest men in Carroll. He owns the splendid block in which the clothing store is located of which his sons are part proprietors. The block was built in 1893. He has one of the finest residences in the city and also owns other business blocks. In any financial venture in Carroll the name of John Nockels appearing is always taken as a guarantee of soundness by others who anticipate investing.

John Nockels
~~~~~
Rev. Father J. C. Nacke
Rev. Father J. C. Nacke was born in Germany in 1852. At the age of three years his parents came to the United states locating in the South. A few years later they came to Iowa locating at West Point where our subject grew to manhood. He was educated for the priesthood at St. Francis Milwaukee being ordained in 1879. He was given a parish at Centralia in Dubuque County where he remained for three years and the following four years he had charge of a parish in Mitchell County. For the past ten years he has had charge of St. Peter's and Paul's parish of this city. In connection with the church he conducts a well regulated parochial school. Father Nacke is one of the hardest Christian workers in the state.

Rev. Father J.C. Nacke
~~~~~
 

back to Biography home

back to Carroll County home