Carroll County IAGenWeb
Biographies

"The Carroll Herald"
Sketches Index

   

W.L. Culberson

R.E. Coburn
   
First National Bank of Carroll
This is the oldest financial institution in Carroll County. The nucleus of this bank was formed in 1808 when the banking house of O. H. Manning was established. Under the original caption the bank was conducted until 1876 when Mr. W. L. Culbertson purchased the interest of Mr. Manning and established the Bank of Carroll which he conducted until 1883 when Mr. Macomber and Mr. Coburn became associated with him. In 1889 the First National Bank of Carroll was organized by Mr. G. W. Wattles and others with a capital stock of $50,000 which in 1892 was increased to $100,000.00. In 1895 Messrs Culbertson, Macomber and Coburn the proprietors of the Bank of Carroll purchased the entire stock of the First National Bank consolidating the two institutions, making it one of the most important financial concerns of this section of the state. The present officers and directors are W. L. Calbertson, President and Director; H. W. Macomber, Vice-President and Director; Robert E. Coburn, Cashier and Director; James E. Griffith, Director; Chas. Walterscheid, of Halbur, Director. The bank has always maintained the most liberal policy. The capital surplus and undivided profits aggregate nearly $120,000.00.

Mr. W. L. Culbertson, the president of the bank was born in Pennsylvania, Dec. 3rd, 1844. Two years later his parents moved to Philadelphia where they resided until 1860 when they came to Iowa, locating in Scott County. The business career of our subject was begun in Scott county, and in 1869 he came to Carroll. Two years later he was nominated on the republican ticket to the office of county auditor to which he was elected and re-elected two years later, In '74 and '75 he filled the position of County Treasurer. January 1st, 1876 he retired from the Treasurer's office and purchased the banking interest of O. H. Manning and organizing the Bank of Carroll which he conducted alone until 1883 when he became associated with Mr. Coburn and Mr. Macomber.

In 1883 he was a member of the Iowa Legislature from Carroll county. He has several times been elected to fill local offices and has never faltered in the faithful discharge of all duties incumbent upon him. Some years ago he had erected and elegant home which is considered one of the finest in the city. In all matter of public interest or improvement he is a strong supporter and gives liberally his time and funds for the development of the public interest.
~~~~~

W.E. Foster
W. E. Foster
The subject of this sketch was born in Clark county, Ohio, Sept. 25, 1860. At the age of 12 entered the drug business with his uncle at Wilmington, Delaware removing to Woodstown, New Jersey, in 1875 and to Iowa in 1878, when he clerked for Dr. Dunkle in his drug store for a couple of years. Buying out the Hoskins drug store in 1881, he entered into business for himself.

Mr. Foster was a registered pharmacist of New Jersey at the age of 17; passing examination at Salem in that state, also registered by examination in Iowa in as built a quite a successful business in
Glidden and the most complete and elegant drug stocks in this part of Iowa.

Has served the town in the capacity of councilman, recorder, mayor and has been elected three consecutive times as a member of the board of education, is a member of Philo Lodge. No. 2291 I. O. O. F.: Glidden Lodge No. 27k of P.: Of Haggi Lodge, No. 369 A. F. and A.M. and Cope Stone Chapter, No. 79 R. A. M.

His business location is one of the oldest in Glidden. and has been occupied by him for 17 years, except for a few months in 1884 when he was compelled to move on account of a disastrous fire.
 

back to Biography home

back to Carroll County home