Frank W. Martin Family

Front Row Seated (L-R):
Faye Martin 6-5-1892 Iowa 12-6-1955 Minn.
Emma Martin 7-11-1897 Iowa Living
Frank W. Martin (Father) 9-16-1852 Wisconsin 6-30-1923 Iowa
Samuel A. Martin 11-15-1904 12-13-1935 Iowa
Emma "Estella" Haight Martin (Mother) 4-27-1861 Ohio 7-28-1923 Iowa
Mildred L. Martin 6-17-1902 Iowa Living
Alpha Martin 9-5-1882 Iowa Living
(Standing Second Row)
Leo E. Martin 12-3-1899 Iowa 7-4 (or 5)-1920 South Dakota
(Standing Back Row)
Elwin Martin 10-17-1889 Iowa Living
Jo. V. Martin 12-10-1890 Iowa 6-16-1953 Wn.
Floyd Martin 12-4-1894 Iowa Living
Jessie Martin5-9-1884 Iowa Living
(Back Row Extreme Right)
Kenneth Martin 7-28-1906 Iowa Living
Not pictured and died when young are following:
Florence Martin 8-1-1888 12-26-1890 Iowa
Frene F. Martin 6-23-1893 10-7-1893 Iowa
Eva L. Martin 1-17-1896 11-1-1904 Iowa
Edwin Martin 7-1-1898 7-14-1898 Iowa

Estella (Haight) Martin
 b. 1861--Mrs. Frank Martin--d. 1923

Emma Estella Haight was born at Sandusky, Ohio, April 27, 1861, and passed away at her home in Highland Twp., 5 miles northeast of Sutherland, Iowa, July 28, 1923, following a stroke of apoplexy, she having reached the age of 62 years, 3 months and one day.

She came to Iowa with her parents in 1862, her father making the trip across country in a covered wagon with the stock and the household goods, her mother with the children coming by rail. They settled in Muscatine County, Iowa, where they remained until 1870, when the covered wagon was again put into use, and the family made the trip together, pushing farther west, bringing the stock and a large flock of sheep.  This time they settled on a farm seven miles northeast of the present town of Aurelia, Iowa, which always remained the parental home.

On April 13, 1880 (or 1881) she was united in marriage to Franklin W. Martin and settled on his homestead 3 miles north of Sutherland, Iowa, where the endured the hardships of the early pioneer.

After remaining on the homestead for twenty years they moved to the present place in Highland Twp., which has been their home for 23 years.

The deceased had been a patient sufferer from paralysis for over a year. She was preceded in death by her husband, who passed away on 28 days before, almost his last words being he "wouldn't mind going if she could go too", and it seems the Great Redeemer had granted his wish in taking his life's companion so soon.

Funeral services were held at home Wednesday afternoon, Aug. 1st, conducted by Rev. Quirin of the M.E. Church, who spoke from the second chapter of Revelation.  He was assisted by a quartet, composed of Mr. and Mrs. E.A. McFarland and Mr. and Mrs. Frank Bruner, who sang "We'll Never Say Goodbye in Heaven", "Home To Rest" and her favorite hymn, "In the Sweet Bye and Bye". Interment was made in the Waterman cemetery.

Those left to mourn the departure of this kind and devoted mother were ten children.  Three brothers also survive her, William Haight of Cherokee, James Haight of Alta and Lafe Haight of Linn Grove, all towns in Iowa.                             
Above obituary furnished by Mrs. Alpha (Martin) Watterson, the oldest child of Stella (Haight) Martin.

Franklin Wood Martin

Franklin Wood Martin was born in Jefferson County, Wisconsin, September 16, 1852 and died after one short illness at the St. Joseph's hospital in Sioux City, Iowa, June 30 1923 at the age of 70 years, 9 months and 25 days.

Two months previous to his birth his parent, together with eight older children, arrived in America from Scotland after a stormy voyage of nearly eight weeks, on an old sailing vessel.  They settled in Wisconsin, which had bee a state only four years.

Being born a pioneer and losing his mother before he was 8 years of age, he was deprived of the advantage of an early education.  He was hired out for service (Bound Out) working summers and attending school winters thus acquiring the rudiments of an education, which enabled him to teach school. At the age of 18, as a lone penniless boy, taking the advice of Harace Greeley, he came west to Iowa, about four miles north of Sutherland.  Here he endured all the hardships, which existed in those days teaching school part of the time.

April 13, 1881, he was united in marriage to Estella Haight at Alta, Iowa and to this union fifteen children were born, five who have preceded him in death.

The funeral service were impressive, being conducted Tuesday, July third out of doors on the lawn of his late "Highland Home" farm home, by the Rev. A. J. Quirin of the Methodist Church, who choose as his text, John 15:15.  He was assisted by a quartet composed of Mr. And Mrs. E. A. McFarland and Mr. And Mrs. Frank Bruner who sang, "Come Unto Me" and "Under His Wings" and "Gathering Home".  The Masonic order, of which he has been a member for forty years, conducted services at the grave.

Mr. Martin was always for good government and civic improvement, and held several responsible offices, and so in his passing the family mourns a kind and loving father, and the community an honorable citizen and friend.

It was a large funeral with many attending from far and near.

Children of Stella (Haight) and Frank Martin Florence Martin 8-1-1888 Sutherland, Iowa died 12-26-1890 Sutherland, Iowa. Buried Waterman Cemetery.


Fern Martin
6-23-1893 Iowa died 10-7-1893 Iowa buried Waterman Cemetery. (Obit)
Fern F. Martin died of cholera infantum October 7, 1893.  The Rev. E. M. Miller held short services at the house Sunday afternoon October (??)th at 3 o' clock.  A number of friends and neighbors then accompanied the sorrowing parents to the Sutherland cemetery where the little body was interned.

"Behold though host made my days as an handbreadth; and mine age is nothing before thee".

Eva Lorene Martin 1-17-1896 near Sutherland, Iowa died 11-1-1904 near Sutherland, Iowa.

Eva had never been a well child since birth however she was an affectionate and sweet tempered child and will be sadly missed in the Martin home.  She leaves four sisters and six brothers besides her parents to mourn her passing.

Funeral services were held at the home Wednesday conducted by the Rev. Burnes and her remains were laid to rest in the Waterman cemetery near Sutherland.

Leo Ernest Martin 12-3-1899 near Gaza, Iowa died 7-5-1920 Lake Elsie, South Dakota.

Leo Martin grew to manhood near Gaza, Iowa.  He enlisted in the Ballon Div. of the army in WWI at Sheldon, Iowa early in the war.  He served much of his time overseas.  Leo was discharged at the war's end and worked for his parents, his brothers and neighbors until the time of his accidental drowning in Lake Elsie, South Dakota July 5, 1920.  His funeral was the first military funeral held in Waterman cemetery near Sutherland, Iowa.

I Dwight L. Haight 1-12-1900 was about a month younger that cousin Leo.  Of the cousins, I knew Leo the best, and I must say he was one of the finest young fellows I ever knew.  I was with him in Sheldon when he enlisted in the WWI.  We had gone from the F. W. Martin home to the Paul Kruger home near Lake Park.  Neither Paul nor Faye was home so we went back to Sheldon and Leo enlisted in the army.

Dwight L. Haight 11-17-1958

Alpha Jean (Martin) Watterson
I was born September 5, 1882 at Grandpa William J. Haights home in Elk Twp., Buena Vista County near Aurelia, Iowa, just three days after my cousin, Herbert Haight was born in the same home.  My parents were Mr. and Mrs. Franklin Wood Martin and I was the first child in the family.

I grew up some 25 or so miles north, in O' Brien County near Sutherland, Iowa, on my father's homestead.  My father's 80-acre homestead all but five-acre, was prairie.  The five-acre was planted to threes to fulfill homestead requirements.  He bought 80 joining on the north so the acres in the farm-totaled 160 acres.

Before his marriage, father Franklin W. Martin lived in a sod house, with a sod lean-to on the side for his pony.  He taught various schools in the neighborhood, living in the summers with his brother, Captain William Martin, who lived fifteen or so miles east near Peterson, Iowa.  They owned and operated a horsepower threshing machine.  Farther (Martin) also taught the Old O' Brien school midway between Peterson and Sutherland, Iowa.  He also taught the Haight School in Elk Twp., near mother, Stella Haights, home and that is where he met my mother.

When father was about to be married he built a one-room house of lumber, 18 by 24 feet.  These were pine boards 10 inches in width put up ad down with narrow strips of wood nailed over the cracks, and the roof was covered with red cedar shingles.  An entrance in the east, a small window in south and another in the west, with the inside wall white washed is best description I can give.

Heat was from a small iron cook stove, with a large hearth in front to catch and cinders or sparks that fall from the grate.  Fuel was oak chipped and hauled several miles from the Little Sioux River, other times it was ear corn.  Sometimes it was twisted hay and at times "Cow Chips" were used. "Cow Chips" is dry manure used by early day folks in wagon trains, trappers, and homesteaders, in campfires and in stoves.  Some Buffalo manure, some horse and some dry cow manure.  Ear Corn had so little value if sold it was sometimes burned as fuel.  Keeping food in the belly and houses warm was a case of sink or swim in those early days.  You did, or you starved or your froze if you did not.

This house was cheerful and homey, with it's rag carpet, stretched and laid over heavy layer of straw, there was a rope cord bed, and my trundle bed, also another with goose feathers in a tick or filled to capacity with straw or with corn husks.  These covered with blue or white homespun, and to complete the picture, a beautiful young mother always kind and considerate, with a sweet alto voice.  Father a big, brawny be-whiskered young father, who liked to sing and whistle or play on his fiddle (violin) songs such as "The Irish Washer Woman" or "Pop goes the Weasel".

One of my early memories was the arrival of a baby brother (Jess Martin) and we were always very good playmates and companions.  When I wanted a sister all I had to was dress him up in my clothes, however he always rebelled against wearing my "Pants".  Being a curious child I had to learn by experience many things, such as toughing my tongue to a cold piece of iron or steel.  Father held me while mother poured cold water over my tongue to get me loose.  Never again did I do that.

Another time father had dug some post-holes, it rained during the night and filled them to the top.  When Kenneth, Jess and I went out to play early the next morning we thought it would be fun to put Kenneth, the smallest down into the water, so we removed his dress and diaper, took him by the hand and lowered him in.  He was to little he could not reach the bottom so we pulled him out and the next size. Jess, was helped into the water filled hole and he could touch bottom all right but he was mud and water up to his shoulders, he was helped out and it was my turn.  I got into the hole all right but found myself stuck, mud from head to toe, the boys got scared and cried and screamed, which brought mother to the rescue.  Well to make a long story short, I was the one that got a good sound spanking.

I attended the country school near my home.  Schools were not graded in those days so when I was thought proficient enough (by my father) to attend High School, I started to Sutherland Hight School at the age of 13.  The next year due to mothers illness, and a new baby's arrival the Dr. had brought in his little black attaché in the middle of the night. I stayed home from school the baby was Eva, the tenth child of Frank and Stella Martin.  I heated milk nights over a kerosene lamp and fed her with a teaspoon many, many nights.  Mother was sick a long time.  (Eva was born 1-17-1896 and died eight years later 11-1-1904)

When mother got well, again, I went back to a country school.  Again and again I must quit school and take complete charge at home.  Between the years of 1882 and 1904 there were 15 children born at the Frank and Stella Martin home.  In addition mother's father, William J. Haight was very ill and mother and father spent some time helping care for him.  He died
12-15-1897 in his home in Elk Twp., Iowa.  The next two years I went back to Sutherland Haight School and continued with unbroken attendance to the 10th grade.

In the mean time father rented a farm "Highland Home" for 2700.00 rent yearly.  In October of 1900 he bought this 320-acre farm for 62.50 per acre and we moved there.  I still went to school in Sutherland some five or so miles away.  Jess, the brother next to me in age, went also in the winter to school.  Spring, summer and fall he stayed out to help with the farm work.

During Easter vacation, I took a teacher's exam.  I got a certificate but went back to school to complete the year.

One day a man called at the school house and said the Supt. Had recommended me and "Would I take the school to begin the following Monday?"  I must see my folks about that first so after school (No phone in those days) I walked the five miles home to consult my parents.  (This in 1902) They were pleased that I had been chosen for this school from quite a large number.  I made myself a couple of black sateen aprons, began wearing my hair high on my head, and was all set to enter the world.

On Sunday my father (Franklin W. Martin) took me to sign the contract, salary $27.00 per month.  I found a boarding place for $2.00 a week.  I was just another teen-ager leaving the home nest to test my wings, but that was the beginning of my 15-year teaching career.

In 1901-1902 I attended Iowa State Normal School at Cedar Falls, Iowa.  In the spring when I returned my brother Jess, our father (Franklin) and myself formed the F.W. Martin company, which we kept alive for five years.  I helped farm and I taught school and I spent one winter at the State Normal School at Cedar Falls, Iowa again.  Jess farmed and he spent one winter at the State University at Madison, Wisc. (The state my father left when he
came to Iowa)

In August 1908 I went to Northern, Minn., to file on a homestead.  I took a passenger boat from Duluth, Minn. This boat the "America" carried both passengers and freight.  We went up the shore to Lake Superior some 80 miles to spot (or point) known as Sugar Loaf.  The boat stopped about a mile from shore blew three blasts of the whistle, which was a signal to the fisherman on shore to come and pick up their cargo and passengers, if any.  There was I was it.

Some homesteaders met me when we reached shore.  Rube and Katie, Katie was a teacher and Rube a "locator".  (One who for a fee helped folks find homesteads.  Some were O.K. some were shysters or worse.)  We walked 7 miles to inspect the 160 of land to be homesteaded and back.  The next day I returned to Duluth, filed on the land, then returned to O' Brien county Iowa to resume my school teaching.

Later father went back with me to my homestead and helped build a homestead log house 14' by 16'.  The logs were huge and the cedar shingles were hand cut form cedar blocks.  There was a small bedroom upstairs.

The huge trees were skidded to the home site put into place, neighbor Rube hitched his old horse to a "Go-Devil" or sort of a stone boat made by putting some boards across two posts. Then brought some groceries, a small cast iron stove a moose hide, a beer skin, a candlestick, and a number of candles.  A bunk bed was built upstairs with a heavy layer of balsam boughs covered with moose skin. This and a heavy wool camp blanket for covers and the deer skin for a rug was my bedroom. Writing it sounds short and easy. Many an hour and day of strenuous work went into this home building.
Thus my residence was established, father padlocked the door and again I returned to Iowa and my school teaching job. I resigned in 1909 and went back from Iowa to northern Minn. to live. I boarded the boat "America" at Duluth sailed 80 miles north landed at Sugar Loaf; where Rube met me with the same old horse "John" and a stone boat one took me an my possessions all in one trunk with a few grocery supplies and some bedding back the six miles to my "Little Log Shack" on my 160 A. homestead in the woods of Minn. Ruben lead the horse with my trunk and stuff on it and I walked the six miles behind.
In a few days I settled in my "Sylvan Home" (So named by my father.) and now was a bonnified citizen of the North Country. My address was Schroeder, mail was brought by sled, in winter, from Duluth.
In the spring it was beautiful in the woods.  I planted some garden at the edge of the clearing, this usual garden stuff - - also some potatoes some wild strawberry plants- some rhubarb - etc. Etc.  The garden thrived as well as some ferns, Monke hood and blood root, that I had both from the woods, but in July there was a hard frost which froze the spuds and the ferns so badly they died.

One hot day in June, the sky grew hazy, and the sun became very red and there was a smell of burning wood in the air.  I knew there must be a fire somewhere in the woods,  I was frightened, and ran to the nearest neighbors. They said "Yes there is a big forest fire, not far away, between us and the Lake Superior Lake shore, and it was coming our way.  If it kept coming there would be no way of escape.

This man had a large rout cellar or cave, it was empty and we could possible be saved by taking refuge in it if it became necessary.  The smoke became thicker and thicker and the sun was blackened completely out of sight.  Other neighbors had gathered here and we all sat huddled in the kitchen while it grew darker and darker.  The little candle on the table
became invisible and faces faded away in the darkness though it was mid day. Talking and listening to tales of other forest fire a while huddled there did not help any.  The air grew hot and stifling. We were silent by now and remained silent, communing with ourselves, and some perhaps doing some honest to goodness praying, while we could hear the fire snapping and cracking only a few miles away.  Fresh puffs of smoke drifted through the air, the wind had died down, and the stillness seemed unbearable when suddenly a breeze became a strong wind, we still remained silent, and it was still pitch dark even the daytime.  Then a dash of rain on the window, then and angry splash and it began raining hard, the air freshened.  The silence was broken by one lone girl singing the Doxology at the beginning, one after the other we all joined in, then there was more rain until the clouds drifted away and the little candle again became visible.  Shortly the rain was over, the sun shinning and the birds began to sing as they do in the woods after a rain.  Luck certainly was with us that day.  We all went outside in the clean fresh air and rejoiced with the birds.

The rest of the summer was uneventful.  Raspberries were abundant and we went berrying every day during the berry season.  We had to be on the look out for bears who might be gathering berries too, they were small black bears and not dangerous unless a mother with cubs- then- look out.

In the fall I had planned teaching at Thomasville (logging camp on Lake Superior) but decided it was to far from my homestead.  We had an early winter and lots of snow.  I went back and forth to help Mrs.  Eidhammer who was going to have a kid, often making the trip on snowshoes.  Got pretty good with them before the winter was over. When Mrs.  Eidhammer and the baby came home from the hospital they hitched "Kozy" the cow to be a home made toboggan and led her six miles to the railroad and brought her and the child home.  The baby was a boy and named Harold.  Mrs.  Eidmar made the six-mile trip to the railroad on this same toboggan, and behind this same cow, the six miles to

The railroad when she went to the hospital.  The homeward trip behind "Kozy" the family cow when she came from the Two Martours hospital was almost too much for Mrs. Eidhamor and we were afraid she was going to go with pneumonia, but with plenty of care and rest she made a complete recovery.  I made this trip on snowshoes. Much work.

My brother Jess came and stayed with me for about three months in the fall. As usual there was a lot of freight to be brought from the boat "American" the mile or tow to shore.  Hans Burwick, the fisherman with his rowboat piled high with groceries- sacks of flour and feed in the bottom and on this three bales high of baled hay.  Jess and I were perched on the hay with our feet hanging over the side, the load was not well balanced and "the boat swayed from side to side, Jess and I clung to one another, while the fisherman cussed because his skiff wasn't loaded right but would be all right if we would just set still.  We doubted him but we sure sat tight and right then Lake Superior looked might deep to me.  We made a happy landing, and never again were we going to ride on top of a boatload of hay.  We never did.

Jess worked on a new road that was being built.  One day Mattie Slaght and her finance riding on the same horse invited us to their wedding.  She and Grand Simon were to be married that night at her home in Thomasville about 7 miles away.  So right after dinner we legged it the seven miles to her home. The father had just returned and was serving drinks out in the kitchen and missed the ceremony.  He was furious, the daughter cried and pleaded with her drunken father but he insisted this ceremony be performed over in his presence, so the Justice of Peace opened the bible and asked the wedding party to assemble and the service was repeated.  Then there was dancing and revelry well into the night.

Soon after that Jess Martin my brother two years younger than I went back to Iowa, sold his farm equipment, went to Hartley to work.  Soon after went to Florida where a Black Widow Spider nearly put him out of business.  After recovering he came back to Hartley Iowa to work for Ira Steele, who had invented a small gas engine to run a washing machine.  One of the first such inventions.

The winter on my claim was cold and lots of snowshoes and ski trails and tracks all through the woods.

One day I was at a neighbors, it was a bright day in March, when Mr. Eidhamer came with the sad news that his son, little Harold then five months old, had become ill during the night and had died suddenly, so I put on some heavy wool socks and a pair of sheep lined boots and went home with him. The next morning Carl went to the nearest camp, to get a pine box and some excelsior to make a casket.  We put the excelsior in the bottom then laid a pillow in next, then Mrs. Eidhammer had a white lawn apron with a wide ruffle all around trimmed with lace.  We put this over the little pillow and let the lace trimmed ruffle hang over the edge.  A little grave was dug in one edge of the yard- A retired minister living nearby conducted the short service and the group repeated the 23rd Psalm, and the little casket with its crude wooden cover was lowered into the tiny grave.

Many woodsman and settlers had settled at the Junction where the railroad crossed the highway, a store, depot, schoolhouse and a Post Office had been built and a town was born.  It was named Cramer after the three Cramer brothers who were active in community affairs.

In May of 1910 I received notice my proving up date was set for July 5,1910.  Another notice came from the land office saying the date had been set one week later.  Thus I accepted the second date and proved up in July 1910 and a month later returned to Iowa.  I stayed at home and began teaching again.

Along next summer a letter from the land office saying that my homestead entry had been contested after depositions and Lawyers decisions,  the judge said he had found that my residence was found short of the number of days required.  Counting thirty days in each month- you- but counting the exact days from date of establishing residence to the date of proving up- No. What could I do?  I could forfeit my claim or go back and file all over again, so I went back and spent 14 more months again proving up in 1915. The country was well settled by now and I taught school in a new schoolhouse built near by.  The railroad had built several miles beyond Cramer, the highway had been graveled to the shore road and the country was booming.

In March of 1916 I returned home, and on March 25- 1916 John Watterson and I were married at Gaza Iowa, we had met while I was teaching near Sanborn, Iowa and while I was waiting for court decisions.  In the mean time I had received a patent to the homestead.

After our marriage John and I started farming- War clouds were forming over the onset and prices were getting higher and higher.  In 1917 we farmed q 320 A. farm with my brother Jo Martin.  The next year Jo Martin, my brother, enlisted as World War One was going strong and four of my brothers enlisted, Jo- Elwin- Leo and Floyd.  We continued, John and I, to farm the same farm after Jo went to war crops were fair, summer was cool and we had a soft corn crop.  (Season was not long enough for the corn to be mature).  Prices continued to rise.  Father (Frank Martin) had retired and sold our old home Highland Home in 1916 for around two hundred dollars per A. ( Not sure)  The buyer could not handle the deal so in 1919 father had to take it back. Prices were soaring- hired help and hard to find one to rent at any price. As Floyd- Leo- Elwin and Jo all were in the service father didn't feel able to farm the place.  Highland Home.  So John and I contracted to buy the place (Highland Home) in 1919 at $325.00 per A.  and moved there prices and crops were good.  John was an excellent farmer.  Jess has bought the south 120 A. and we had the north 120 A.  and father reserved 80 other A. for mother.  The brothers returned from the Army- Floyd, Leo, and Jo went to North Dakota to farm a place father had bought near Barney not far from Breckenridge and Wapston.

Times grew hard and then harder and a depression was on the way.  It hit and hard and in 1922, we gave up Highland Home and moved onto a farm north of Sutherland Iowa.

Ill Luck seemed to follow us and the Wall Street crash caused many a bank failure and many bank foreclosures on homes and farms.  Eating once again became a matter of the first importance.  Farmers were worse than broke and so much unemployment there was no jobs.  At that time no form of government aid.

In 1923 father passed away after a short illness and three weeks later mother died at Highland Home where my sister Erma and her husband Walter Rouch were living at the time.  They farmed it one more year after the folk's death and then the estate was settled and Highland Home- now 200 A. sold for $175. per A.
On the summer of 1924 a cyclone hit where we were living blowing down the cattle barn- full of hay- - a hog house - granary- wind mill- in fact everything there was.  We were renters so our loss was the grain- corn- hay- and the expenses of labor to build new buildings.  It was also a hot dry year.  The next year 1925 crops were good, but it was another hot season and hay was scares and pastures were short.  One of the hottest days in August the new barn and all the farm buildings burned to the ground.  We lost all our hogs- four horses- all our grain- barn full of hay and our automobile. There was no water to fight the fire.  The pile of grain was still burning a week later.

The carpenters had a new barn partly built when our little daughter, Jane Watterson, became seriously ill and died suddenly.  Our son Dale was very sick at the time, and was between life and death for several days.  The big problem - - should we try to make still another start or should we not? Our boys were getting big enough to help and neighbors and friends were very good and helped us to keep on.  Times were still getting harder; we had no car and not much of anything else.  We did manage to buy an old Ford Sedan (Second Hand) and that summer took a vacation trip to my homestead in Minn. And relaxed.  We visited Erma in Wisconsin and came back to N. W. Iowa with new energy and courage.  The next ten years were very hard for farmers.

In 1932, we decided to quit farming and had a sale, paid our debts as far as our money would go and moved to Sutherland- - penniless.  Franklin D. Roosevelt had been elected and John got a job on a W. P. A. project in Sutherland.

In 1936 there was a terrible blizzard that caused a lot of suffering and destruction and the summer was the worst drought we have ever known in IA. Times were still getting harder for the farmer as shelled corn was selling for 10 cents and oats two cents per bushel and live stock accordingly low.

Again war clouds were forming for World War-2-. Hitler was soon to invade Poland and then several countries were drawn in one being England.  Pearl Harbor- Dec. 7-1941- and again the United States was at war.  John and I had three sons.  All Volunteered for service almost at once.  Dale saw service as a navigator on a Boeing-"B" 17. His plane was shot down and now in 1959-16 years later nothing is known for certain what happened.  It seems certain he lost his life according to the War Dept.

Another son, Bernard, a Pharmacist Mate in the Hebridges Island in the Pacific.  Another son Glen Domestic service in the Red Cross- He saw service in several came in the south. ( I said enlisted in the Army and I should have said- - The service.  The war was over-Everyone had visions of better times ahead but again there was unemployment but this time for the boys there were C. C. C. camps and the G.I. bill that gave the returned service man a chance to go to school.

Let me say that now in 1959 Bernard lives here in Southland with his family.  The eldest son Glen is a minister in Michigan.  Is moving to ministerial College at Lansing Michigan where he is on the faculty.  Glen also has a fine wife and children.

I visited Glen about a year ago and had the misfortune to fall and break my hip.  Stayed for some time in Michigan but am now back in my old home town- - Sutherland Iowa.  Still not to spry but am improving and hope to get back into my own home this summer.

As I said this is 1959, things seem quite prosperous, we still have the ever-normal granary for storing surplus grain and corn.  We have Old Age Assistance- and Social Security which helps to keep the older people out of the- - poor house- - and gives employment to the younger people.

All the big automobile factories are making our country appear prosperous, with two cars in almost every garage.  Big cities are doing away with the slums, housing projects are a boom to all.

If history repeats itself, and I feel sure it will then we will not have another depression, regardless of who is President- whether he be Democrat or Republican.

The rest is up to us- - We must watch our step as our ancestors did and pay as we go or we may find ourselves in hot water.  We should all memorize the 23rd Psalms and repeat it daily- oftener would be better.

John and I kept our home together for 39 years and in that time we shared many grief's and hardships, and now I am left to pick up my cross and march manfully onward, with my husband John a silent partner.
I have many happy memories of our life together, which seem to out shine the hard ships.

I could have written a book about the foregoing but guess the high spots I have touched in this.
Alpha W. Watterson signed this 1/31/1959 at Sutherland Iowa. Alpha- Jean (Martin) Watterson.
I beg your pardon Alpha if I did not copy your original as well as you wrote it.  I did my best.  You Martins have "what it takes".  Lots of courage. Don't you all think this was well written?
Dwight L.  Haight

   John  Watterson
History: Alpha ( Martin ) Watterson - Husband

 b. 1888 - John H. Watterson ***L (   , 1955.)

 John Henry Watterson, the son of James and Elizabeth Blair Watterson, was born Nov. 10 1888, near Charlestown in Clark  County, Indiana.  He passed away near Sutherland Iowa, on Oct. 8, 1955 at the age of 66 years 10 months 28 days.

 He attended the public schools near his boyhood home.  At the age of 17 years he came to O'Brien County, Iowa and has resided there ever since that time a total of about 49 years in this vicinity.

 John was a member of the Presbyterian Church and of Abiff Lodge No. 347 - A.  F.  & A.  M.  as well as the victory order of the Eastern Star.  He was very active in community affairs and especially In the local fire Dept. and the O'Brien County Firemen's Assoc. of which He was a charter member and the first president, serving from its time of Organization in 1947 until April of 1950.

 On March 25 1916, he was united in marriage to Alpha Jean Martin At Gaza Iowa.  To them were born four children.  The family lived on a farm Near Sutherland until 1932 at which time they moved to the town of Sutherland.

For many years Mr.  Watterson was employed as a director and agent Of the O'Brien County Mutual Insurance Assoc., an occupation in which he Was serving at the time of his death.

He was preceded in death by a daughter Jane Eloise in 1925 and a son Dale Franklin in 1945.  John Watterson is survived by his wife Alpha and two Sons Glenn and Bernard.  Two brothers - - Joe of Melvin Ma and Will of Anderson Indiana.  Besides many nieces and nephews and other relatives.

   John Watterson: Obituary


John Watterson, 66, a resident of O'Brien Count Iowa for 49 years. Who died of a heart
Attack about 8:30 Saturday morning while driving in the country northeast of Sutherland was buried Tuesday after noon in Watterson Cemetery, following funeral services at 2:00 O'clock at the church of Christ under the direction of the  Baumgarter funeral home  The Rev.  Albet Delridge of Cherokee was the clergyman, and Masonic rite, were conducted by Abiff Lodge No 347, A. F.  & A.  N, with Louis Schults of Peterson in charge.

Pallbearers were, Frank Simpson- - Leslie Miles - - Marion Crosser- -Delbert Johannsen- - G.  B.  Heckert and A.  H.  Schultz.
Mrs. Silas Steele and her daughter, Virginia and Susanne, sang " Sunrise To-Morrow" and "Beyond the Sunset".  Mrs.  Otis Hulser was accompanist.

 Mrs.  Simpson, Mrs.  Crosser and Mrs. Schultz took care of the flowers.

Mr.  Watterson was a longtime resident of the Sutherland IA, community, having come to O'Brien county from Indiana, when he was but 17 years of age. Since 1932 he has been a resident of Sutherland.

Saturday morning he ate breakfast as usual, then drove to the country on business, when he suffered a heart attack and died in his car.  The car went into the ditch near the intersection of the country roads about four miles north and four miles east of Sutherland, just east of the Nick Novak place and west of Elmer Wede's place.

Mr.  And Mrs.  Wede were approaching the corner in their car when they saw the Watterson car swerve from the road and go into the ditch.  They summoned help and Dr.  J.  E.  Dahlbo and the Baumgarter ambulance rushed to the scene.  According to the report is believed Mr.  Watterson had died before the car left the road.  He was sitting upright in the car when it came to a stop.  The car did not turn over but was badly damaged by the impact.  James
Vander Ploeg of Sheldon, O'Brien County Corner, and Sheriff Maider investigated the accident.

Survivors are his widow Alpha, two sons, Glen of Vestaburg Mich and Bernard of Sutherland.  Also two brothers Joe of Melvin (other ones not named) and seven grand children.

Alpha Jean Martin 9-5-1882 Near Sutherland, Iowa married 3-25-1916 to John Watterson at Gaza, Iowa he was born 11-10-1888 at Charlestown, Indiana. She died 10-8-1955 at Sutherland, Iowa and is buried in Waterman Cem.
Glen Burdette Watterson 1-26-1917 Near Gaza, Iowa married 6-13-1937 to Mertice June Forbes at Jackson, Minn. She was born 5-23-1915.
Joy Koree Watterson 9-18-1941 Manmouth, Ill.
Galen Burdette Watterson 12-21-1944 Jackson, Minn.
Dale Franklin Watterson was born 12-18-1920 at Hyland Home, near Gaza, Iowa and died 3-31-1945 in a "B-17" on bombing mission over Germany he married 12-24-1943 to Hattie Cabek at Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
One child was: Janice Kay Watterson 3-17-1945.
Bernard Eugene Watterson 6-25-1922 at Hyland Home near Gaza, Iowa married 6-12-1949 to Ellen Mae Steckel at home of bride in Ladysmith, Wisc. she was born 12-16-1930.
Darrel DeWayne Watterson 8-28-1950
David Eugene Watterson 8-2-1951
Denise Annette Watterson 10-31-1953
Debra Lynn Watterson 9-13-1955
Dawn Delane Watterson 4-18-1958
A few words about Bernard's Service record. U.S. Navy Sept. 1942 to Oct. 1945. Attached to U.S. Naval Base Hospital in South Pacific. Was orderly in hospital in West Herbredac (Spelling Wrong) Islands.
Jane Elosie Watterson was born 10-27-1923 on a farm near Sutherland, Iowa and died 8-30-1925 is buried at Waterman Cem. in Sutherland, Iowa.

Glen Bardette Watterson
I, Glen Bardette Watterson, oldest son of John Henry Watterson (oldest son of James William Watterson and Anne Blair (daughter of John Blair and Elizabeth Ash) and Alpha Jean Martin (oldest daughter of Franklin Good Martin and Estella Blackman Haight) was born at Highland Home, Highland Twp., near Sutherland Iowa, Jan. 26, 1917. I was educated at Ashwood Dist. #4 Grant Twp. And later graduated from Sutherland Consolidated (High) School in May 1934.  Because of an interest in church work and the challenge of a youth camp I entered Minn.  Bible College, Minneapolis, Minn., in Sept, 1934 to prepare for the Christian ministry.  I worked to pay for education in the college print shop- - and was co-manager at the time of graduation.

I was married 6/13/1937 to Miss Mertice June Forbes (youngest child of Harlan Herbert Forbes and Lillian Minerva McCracken) at her home in Jackson, Minn.  I was graduated with the A.  B.  Degree in June 1939, and my wife and I moved to Roseville, Ill., to begin the ministry there with the Christian Church.  On Sept. 18, 1941 our daughter Joy Loree Watterson was born.  From June 1939 to October 1944 I held pastorates at Roseville and Astoria, Ill., and Clearfield, Iowa.

In October 1944 I joined the staff of American National Red Cross and served in Texas with the services to the Armed Forces branch servicing Army, Air Force, and Navy Installations during World War-2-.

While I was in Texas our son Glenn Burdette was born 12/21/1944 at Jackson Minn.  My wife was making her home with her mother, who was widowed a week or so before I went into the Red Cross Service.  Upon being released from the American National Red Cross in Jan. 1946, our family moved to Manton, Mich., where I began ministry with the Church of Christ.  In June of 1947 we moved to Shepherd, Mich, where I ministered to the Shepherd and Forest Hill Churches.

In 1948 & 49 I served on a committee that was instrumental in establishing-Great Lakes Bible College and in the fall of 1949 became one of its faculty members.  In 1950 we moved to the college area and I bean to preach wherever called in the interest of the College and ministerial training. Realizing the need of further education if I was to stay in the educational field, I applied for a scholarship for graduate work at and training to the school of Religion, Butler University, Indianapolis, Indiana (Now is Christian Theological Seminary) and I was accepted.  We moved then to Monrovia, Indiana.  Where I ministered to the Christian Church while taking graduate work at Butler University. In august of 1955 I was recalled to the faculty of Great Lakes Bible College and we moved to Vestaburg, Michigan.  In August of 1956 I completed my thesis-.' A Study of the communication Potential of Radio for the Minister'- and was awarded the Bachelor of Divinity degree with a major field in- Radio-TV., Drama and Speech. It is my hope to continue in the field of ministerial training in Bible Colleges.  It offers many challenges and I feel I have made some contribution toward ministerial education of the Church of Christ or Christian Churches.

Signed - - G.  B.  Watterson.
P.S. The College moved to Lansing, Mich.  In Sept 1958, My family will live
in Vestaburg until June- 1959 when our daughter will graduate from High
school and our son from the 8th grade.  We plan on moving to Lansing-5-
Michigan.  (Any errors are in calling- not Glen's.  Those church words stump
me.  'Whew- Dwight L. Haight. )

Jesse Alvin Martin
A descendat of Stella Haight Martin. Jesse Alvin Martin was born 5-9-1885 on fathers homestead 3 miles north of Sutherland, Iowa he married Meta Kloppenberg 4-8-1914 at Cherokee, Iowa (of Hartley, Iowa) she was born 10-30-1886 at Traer, Iowa. No children born of this marriage.
A little about Jesse Mata Martin.
Jesse Martin born 5/9/1884 on his fathers homestead three or four miles north of Summerland Iowa as a boy went to school and did the usual chores done by farm boys at that time.  Maybe a bit more than usual chores.  He attended the rural (Jordan) school until 14 when with his sister Alpha Martin (born 1882) they went to the high school three miles south in Sutherland.  In order for Jesse to get home early and help with the chores he was provided with a bicycle while his sister Alpha walked the distance. As he grew older and was needing with planting of crops and cultivating and attacking a small grain in the summer.  In those days most grain was bound- shocked- and then stacked.  Later in the fall thrashing machines came and threshed the grain out.  In the fall he did fall plowing using four horses and a gang (two bottom) plow.  That was considered big farming in those days.  Many people used a single bottom plow and some a walking plow.

Along about October he helped husk the corn.  This to was a slow process as they used a "Husking Peg", this was a kind of a stick like thing held in the hand across the fingers.  About that time someone invented the "Husking Hook" and they doubled the amount of corn picked.  This to was worn on the hand but in the palm of the hand and after learning how made husking of corn much faster the not easier (Years later the corn husking machine was

Along about 1900 the family sold out the old homestead and bought a 120 A. farm five or so miles went in Highland Twp.  This farm was known as "Highland Home and was to be the home of the Martins for many years. "Jesse father and mother died there or that was their home twenty some years later. He bought this farm for 62. per A. in 1900 and sold it in 1916 for 325 per A. Much could be said about the depression of the years soon to follow but
that is another chapter.

In the spring of 1904 a partnership of Jesse and Alpha Martin with their father Franklin Martin was formed.  Alpha taught school ( No doubt provided some of the Capital land kept house.  Jesse did farming and the work.  No doubt the land being furnished by

Along about that time he enrolled in Highland Park College in Des Moines Iowa.  Latter he attended Iowa State College at Ames Iowa getting his degree in Electrical Engineering.  He, Jesse Martin also went to the state college in Madison Wisc. As well as to Business College in Sioux Falls S. Dakota.

In 1908 the farming equipment was disposed of and the partnership split up. Alpha Martin went to Northern Minn. And took up a homestead.

Jesse Martin went to work for Ira Steele at Hartley IA.  Ira Steele had invented a ¼ H.  P.  gasoline engine to operate washing machines.  This was a big success and sold like hot cakes.

After that Jess went to Florida with the Harve Bowling family and helped clear land.

While at work on day he was bitten by a "Black Widow Spider" and he came very nearly passing from the picture.  Upon recovering he returned to N. W. Iowa.  He worked at different jobs until his marriage in 1944.

About this time or before he had bought an eight A.  of the land owned and which joined the Highland one Home of his father.  He farmed this for a time.  Later they moved to a much larger place near Hartley.  His wife Meat was a hard working farmwoman and did much to help Jess with the farm work. They worked like mad and prospered.  In the 1920's sometime they decided to take it easier and moved back to their own 160 A. place near Gaza and the place that joins Frank Martin (b. 1852) home.  In fact much of the houses on Jesse Martin farm is from the old house on the Frank Martin place.

They continued to prosper and work hard as ever and live on this farm yet this year of 1958.
Walnut trees planted when they first went there have reached the size of from ten to fourteen inches.  Many have cut and used on the farm and some sold.  A few remain on Jesse as well as F. W. Martin place.  Though by now all may be gone I am not sure.

Though not so young Jessie and his wife Meta hit the ball every day and enjoy life as much as when young.

The above written by Dwight L.  Haight from records provided by Alpha (Haight) Watterson.

Kenneth Lionel Martin was born 7-28-1886 at G.A.H. in Brooke Twp., B.V. County, Iowa he married 3-15-1918 to Gertrude Corrington at her home. She was born 7-6-1894 in Iowa. They divorced in 1937 in California.
Doris Pauline Martin
Doris Pauline Martin 2-14-1919 at Cherokee, Iowa she married 9-4-1937 to Earl Marcum (1) Children: Beverly Ken Marcum was born 2-12-1939. They divorced. She then married 6-28-1942 to Dalton Eugene Hales. Children: Glenn Dean Hales 8-3-1944 and Judith Ayn Hales 11-14-1945 in L.A.
My oldest son's name was changed to Ken Marcum Hales. He is in the Coast Guard. My first marriage was a terrible mistake and life really began and has been very happy since my second marriage to Gene Hales. We never mention my first marriage. I do so here merely to keep the records straight. My husband Gene has worked for North American Aviation for 20 years. God willing we may visit Iowa and many of our relatives in the near future on our way to Washington, D.C.
Oh, yes I came to California with my parents in 1923 and have been here ever since, I graduated from the Freemon High School just before getting married the first time. Which is as I said one of my biggest errors. We have a five-week paid vacation coming up and may see some of you then.
Signed this 1958
Doris Pauline Hales
Los Angels, Calif.
Kenneth Martin Jr. was born 10-29-1922 and died the same day....still born. Buried in Waterman Cem. Sutherland, Iowa.
Roberta Mae Martin was born 4-25-1924 in L.A. Calif. and died 6-17-1925 in L.A. Calif.
Elnore June Marton was born 4-27-1926 and married 6-29-1951 to Donald McKinley Ladd at Methodist church in Hollywood, Calif. He is a Attorney at Law in Los Angels.
Donald Fredrick Ladd was born 5-25-1954 in Las Angeles, Ca.
Richard Warren Ladd was born 5-6-1957 in Los Angeles, Ca.
Kenneth Martin married second Lillian Alaojki 6-15-1940 divorced in 1950. He then married 7-15-1954 to Estella Smith of San Jose, Calif.

Kenneth Lionel Martin

I Kenneth Lionel Martin was born July 28 - 1886 in a little shack in Brook Twp.  Buena Vista county Iowa.  This was on the north part of what became the Fred Haight farm known as Glenn Alphine Home so named by my father. Just how we came to acquire this land is not known by me at this time.  I think my father Frank Martin named the Fred Haight home or farm after some spot in Scotland for whence he came.

Life was quite a struggle for all families in my young days and the F. W. Martin home was no exception.  When I must have been only a few months old we moved from Buena Vista county about 20 or so miles N. W. to O'Brien county some three or four miles north of Sutherland, both in Iowa.  Where my father homesteaded.

I think he had about 160 A. at this place.

In 1900 father bought a 320 A. farm some three miles or so west of our homestead home.  We and all the little Martins moved there and life continued pretty much of a nip and tuck affair.  It was the same with all families in the early days.  Lots of work and not much school.  Except in the winter months.

 No mother was more understanding than my mother and we all worked together
for the common good of the family.  Though to us at the time we did not know it
and may not have thought so.

There were to many unusual things I hesitate to tell them.  One was when the older Martin boys were playing "Indian raid" and had the happy idea of tying one to a fence post to make it real.  I think we tied Elwin and piled dry corn fodder around him.  Some one wanted to make it more real by lighting the fodder.  It set up such a blaze and smoke we all got scared and ran.  Well they did I do not know I was one of the ones.  I think I had more sense.  Anyway had it of not been for father being near by and his quick thinking it might have been the end of Elwin Martin.  Many many such things took place none of, which were intended to turn out bad, but many of them could have.

After Gertrude Corrigton and I were Married in 1918 we started farming N.E.  of Sutherland- - Then moved to my wife's folk's farm in Elk Twp.  From there to Hyland home.  And from there to California where we were divorced.

Back to my young life.- - I attended country school Latter went into Sutherland to High school and still latter to Iowa State College at Cedar Falls Iowa for a time.

This is about all I can think of at this time.
  Signed- Kenneth L. Martin - Year- 1958

Elwin Hubert Martin 10-17-1889 on Frank Martin Homestead 3 miles north of Sutherland, Iowa married 4-6-1920 to Cora Scott at Ames, Iowa. She was born 9-8-1895 at Delmar, Iowa and he died 5-16-1938 buried in Waterman Cem., Sutherland, Iowa.
Seven Children:
Graydon Burdette Martin was born 4-8-1921 at Sutherland, Iowa married 9-9-1943 to Beulah Smith at Sutherland, Iowa. Divorced with no children. Then married Mrs. Ortha Williams.
Orrin Hubert Martin 9-26-1922 Ames, Iowa.
Eldreda Mae Martin 5-11-1927 Sutherland, Iowa married 4-25-1957 to Lawrence V. Jones.
Delbert Scott Martin 5-6-1926 at Primghar, Iowa.
(two adopted children names unknown)
Ardith Delores Martin 11-17-1927 married husband is unknown.
Phyllis Marie Martin 1-6-1930 Royal, Iowa. married to Dean Payne of Pomona Calif.
Vickie Lynn Payne 7-31-1950
Nina Louise Martin 3-25-1932 Cameron, Wisc. at her parents home was married 6-17-1952 to Robert Negus at Sutherland, Iowa. He was born 9-2-1932 at Sutherland, Iowa.
Jane Annette Negus 3-21-1953 Hartley, Iowa
Ronnie Dean Negus 6-4-1954 Hartley, Iowa
Michael Alan Negus 12-21-1957 Hartley, Iowa
Nina Martin
Nina Martin was born in 1932 attended the Gaza, Iowa school and later the Sutherland Haight School. She was chosen Home coming Queen. She was a tiny six-year-old girl when her mother died and she grew up in a large family with the help of her father Elwin and her brothers and sisters. They were all excellent children in every way even though they had no mother to guide them. Her husband was chosen King of his class in the same school as his future wife was Queen. Robert Negus entered the service Nov. 18, 1953 served in Korea for two years. Mr. and Mrs. Robert Negus are farmers now in this year 1959 in Northwest, Iowa. very near where her grandparents Mr. and Mrs. Frank Martin homesteaded and broke the native sod in N.W., Iowa.
Written by Dwight L. Haight Jan 1959.
Jo. Martin
This letter was written by Jo Martin to his cousins on May-1-1939.  Just shortly before he married Helen Martin. ( Helen was widowed by the death of Jo's brother Sam Martin.)
Dear Cousins, Brothers- and Sisters, I am at Helen's house in Seattle and will write a little note and pass it along with the "Round Robin" letter.

Since leaving Iowa I spent five years farming in North Dakota near Walrpeton.  1919 to 1924.  Then old man "Hard times" caught up with me and I came to Seattle in 1928, working for building contractors in the building trade.  Later in the year 1928 I bough a transfer business in Seattle and operated it until 1938 when I took my present job.  I am patrolman on the Seattle Water shed with the City Health Dep.  It is a civil service job. There is some 80880 acres in the watershed, mostly timber.  There are two logging companies at work on the water shed now.  There is a small Hydro Plant, Seattle's first, at Cedar Falls where I make my home.  There is plenty of good hunting and fishing in these parts- deer, bear, coyote, bob cat, mountain lion, game birds and what have you.

Along with the sheep, stone throwing Haights- and the Iron throwing Haights- and the corncob throwers- I wonder if Harry Haight remembers the big- "Hay Fork"?

I would like to attend a Haight- Martin re-union in Denver or any other conveient place.  I am still working in single harness and don't know if I will be able to camp on Burls lot in Palo Alto and attend the "Fair" or not.

My brother Floyd and his wife Minnie are here and they said I forgot to tell the world that I am getting bald- -weigh 216- -which is not so bad for one going on 49 years of age.  I think the age is interesting- - for instance I remember Homer as being much younger than I am. ( Homer Haight is a cousin-son of William D. Haight) And now I see by his letter he is almost the same age as I am.  Well four years younger in our teens was something and now in our forties it is- nothing.

By the way I forgot- Cedar Falls Wn.  Is about fifty miles east of Seattle and just off the main hi-way from North Bend.  I have a small house and several thousand A. of camping space so would be glad to have any of you who can get out this way to come and spend all the time you want to with me.

Jo- -V. Martin Signed this 5/1/1939


 Masonic and military funeral service for Jo V.  Martin, watershed Patrolman for the Seattle Water Dept.  were held in Seattle on Sat., June 20/  He died June 16- 1953 in the V.A. hospital in Seattle Wa., where he had been ill for seven weeks.  Burial was made in Watershed cemetery.  The Rev.  Ernest Barber of North Bend gave the eulogy and the Shrine group of Seattle conducted the Masonic rites.  Theo Carl sang " Beyond The Sunset" and " The Lords Prayer". Active Pallbearers were Owen Carlin, North Bend: William Fioneis, North Bend: Earl Scott, North Bend; H. A. Folsom, Snoqualmie Falls; William Vettrs, Ravendale; and Robert Cromby Bothell.

Honorary pallbearers were- George Rauch- -Jasper Whiting and Robert Shanklin all of Cedar Falls; and Roy W. Morse-J. Allen and John A. Frank all of Seattle.


Jo V.  Martin was born in Sutherland Iowa 12/10/1890 and came to the Pacific Northwest from North Dakota in 1922.  He first located in Seattle where he worked for a contracting firm before coming to Cedar Falls about 32 years ago.

He was a member of the Plumbers Local no. 32.  He also worked for the Milwaukee Railroad at Cedar Falls part time in connection with his job of watershed Supt.
Jo Martin was graduated in business administration from Humbolt College, Humbolt Iowa and later was dean of that Dept.  After service in the 91st Div. In the Army in world war one he went to Iowa State College at Ames Iowa and graduated in Civil Engineering.

 Mr. Jo. V. Martin was a past master of the Unity Lodge no. 198. F&A.M., North Bend- Wa.- a member of the Nile Temple of the Shrine, and the Royal Arch Masons.

 He was post commander for the Renton-Pickering Post No. 79 of the American Legion.

 Surviving Mr. Martin are his wife- - Helen E. and two children- - a daughter- Helen Carol Martin of Cedar Falls- a son- Joseph James Martin- Cedar Falls Wa.

Also there were four stepchildren. ( These were children of his wife of a previous marriage to Jo's brother-Sam Martin.) b. 11/15/1904 Sister Mary Helen of Jesus (Theresa Martin) Mrs. Mary Terry and Mrs. Joan Herrera both of Lima Peru.  Corp.  Franklin Wood Martin of Fort Lewis Wa.- There were many brothers and sisters, and relative who will miss him.

Fayette Maude Martin

Fayette Maude Martin was born at Sutherland Iowa- the seventh child of Stella (b. 1861) and Frank Martin (b. 1852).

She passed away at the Naval hospital at Laberth Lea Minn. on Dec. 6 1955 at the age of 64 after a long illness with cancer.

She grew to womanhood on her father's farm known as Hyland Home near Gaza Iowa.  She attended the schools near her home and later attending the school at Ames Iowa.  After that she taught various schools in Northwest Iowa.

She was married to Paul Ernest Kruger, of Hartley IA, Dec. 22- 1915.  They made their home on a farm near Lake Park in N. W. Iowa and in Lake Park and Glennville Iowa, later moving to a farm near Albert Lea Minn. where Paul her husband engaged in the trucking business.  Paul Kruger died of a heart attack Oct. 30-1940.

After her husbands death Fay bought an acreage near Albert Lea Minn., the older boys helping with the farm and attending school.  When World War two started her sons-Earl- Barl- Paul and Irwin entered the services.  At that time Fay moved into Albert Lea where she worked in the Johnson's laundry. The children helped with various jobs and kept at school best they could. Fay later worked at the hospital until poor health caused her to retire.

Fay (Martin) Kruger was a member of the Grace Lutheran Church of Albert Lea.

Funeral services were held Friday Dec. 9- 1955 at the Grace Lutheran Church with Rev. A. R. Johnson officiating.  Mrs. Burton Larson sang "He Leadeth me" and " The Lords Prayer" with Mrs. Oscar Larson at the piano.  Burial was in Graceland cemetery.

Casket bearers were Earnest Braun, Harold Wright, Elmer Linderman, Paul a son, dons-in-laws and grandsons- Elsworth Braum, and Donald Wright.

Eight children survive- - Mrs. Bernice Braum, Lathrop Missouri, Earl Kruger-Oceola Wisc.- - Mrs. Harold (Lorene) Wright Albert Lea Wisc.  Ervin L. Kruger- Kansas City Mo.- - Paul E. Kruger of Green Bay Wisc.  Mrs. Elmer (Laverna) Linderman of Congar Minn.-Mrs. Paul(?) (Lois) of Manchester Minn.- - and Donald R.R. Kruger of Conger Minn.
Three of Mrs. Faye Martins sisters and four brothers as well as her parents preceded her in death.
Copied Nov. 1959 from records loaned me by Alpha Watterson.
Signed- Dwight L. Haight


Dear Cousins- - Brothers and Sisters:

We were married Dec. 22-1915 and we farmed for six years in Iowa then moving to Minn. Near Albert Leas.  We farmed a real large farm until- 1936 when things did not go so well and we moved to a ten A. farm in to the town of Albert Lea Minn., where we lived two years.  We then came to our present 30 A. place, which we are farming, and we intend going onto a larger place next year.

We have eight children and cant tell any great tales about them except they are all good workers and all well behaved children.

1.-Bernice age 22 married four years now and has a boy two years old.
2.-Earl age 21 and is 6' 2" tall is still at home but been in the trucking business three years.
3- Lorene- Age ? is married  to a trucker near Albert Lea.
4- Erwin- - 17 years old is also six feet tall- a real farmer and has worked on a farm since he was 14 years old earning his own way.
5- La Verna- - 16 a junior in Albert Lea High School doing well.
6- Paul-Jr. 15 is five feet eleven is doing farm work at home.
7- Lois- - is nine years old going to school in Glenville in the third grade and is small for her age.
8- Donald six years old is in the first grade doing right well. He is all boy.

My husband Paul Kruger Sr. has been doing trucking.

As for me I am kept busy taking care of the home and the family.

I surely enjoyed the re-union at Grandpa Haights old place two years ago. (This was the home place of (Mr. Mrs. William J. Haight) B Him -1826-Her b. 1829
We went into the attic but there were no nuts, nor any grapes there anymore like there used to be.

Burl Haight spoke in his letter of being afraid of the stone throwing Haights and the iron throwing Haights-but I wonder is some remember being afraid of the sheep at our place?
Alas- Alack-Trevor T. Haight was not afraid.  Guess what. b. 1894
Signed 2/28/1939
Faye (Martin) Kruger
Glenville- Minn.
Fayetta Maude Martin was born 6-5-1892 at Sutherland, Iowa died 12-6-1955 at Albert Lea, Minn. She married 12-22-1915 to Paul Kruger at Gaza, Iowa. He was born 3-18-1893 at ? died 11-30-1940 at Albert Lea, Minn.
Bernice Mildred Kruger10-31-1916 Lake Park, Iowa married 9-1-1935 to Ernie Braun he was born Lathrup, Mo.
Elsworth Braun born 5-29-1936.
Earl Kruger was born 2-1-1918 at Lake Park, Iowa he married 6-1-1940 to Gladys Wright at Albert Lea, Minn.
Gary Martin Kruger 2-8-1944
Gwen Lee Kruger 11-12-1946
Lorene Kruger was born 7-30-1919 at ? she married 9-4-1937 to Harold Wright at Albert Lea, Minn.
Darold Lorene Wright 9-13-1940
Gordon Franklin Wright 5-19-1942
Judy Wright 3-15-1946 Albert Lea, Minn.
Debra Wright
Erwin Leroy Kruger was born 12-11-1921 at Lake Park, Iowa, and married 5-14-1946 to Ruth O' Dwyer at Kansas City, Mo.
Kathleen Marie Kruger 7-30-1949 at Kansas City, Mo.
Laverna Kruger was born 2-26-1923 at Lake Park, Iowa married 8-21-1941 to Elmer Linderman.
Alvina Marie Linerman 12-19-1942
Robert Duane Linderman 7-7-1946 Conger, Minn.
Allan Steven Linderman 12-23-1950
Paul Ernest Kruger was born 2-14-1924 at Lake Park, Iowa married 7-11-1945 to Marion Nelson at Albert Lea, Minn.
Thomas Harvey Kruger 6-13-1950 and died the same day.
Lois Kruger was born 9-3-1929 at Albert Lea, Minn. and married 9-4-1950 to Paul Assen at Manchester, Minn.
Donald Kruger was born 10-26-1932 at Albert Lea, Minn. (Enlisted in WWII).

Haight Family Photo Album