Buena Vista County, IA
USGenWeb Project

History of Our Savior's Lutheran Church
(Our Savior's English Lutheran Church)
Little Sioux Valley Lutheran Church)


On January 8, 1910, Our Savior's English Lutheran Church of Rembrandt was formally organized, and a new church building was erected in 1910. It was used for the first time on September 25, 1910.   Late in 1912, Rev. Lars Jensen began serving the  congregations of both the Little Sioux Valley Lutheran Church and Our Savior's English Lutheran Church.  On September 16, 1914, the members of Our Savior's Lutheran Congregation were accepted as members of the Little Sioux Valley Church.  In 1952, a new church structure, large enough for both congregations, was built in Rembrandt proper.  No longer needed, the country church was dismantled in 1955, and a year later, a memorial to that building and the community it had served was erected on the site.  In March of 1961, the name of the congregation was changed from Our Savior's English Lutheran to Our Savior's Lutheran Congregation.   In 1968,  the Rembrandt Congregation began sharing  a pastor with the Immanuel Lutheran Church of rural Alta.  Our Savior's Lutheran is a member of the Western Iowa Synod of The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.