Buena Vista County, IA
The Danish Lutheran church in Newell was organized May 11, 1884. Their first property consisted of a parsonage. This was later sold, and in 1892 the church moved out to its present site at the edge of town, where they now own five acres of ground, on which stands their church building and parsonage. In 1901 the church building was remodeled and enlarged into the present structure. There are one hundred and twenty members of the church, and three hundred and twenty-five communicants. The society is a strong one, in good condition and increasing steadily. They are now working for a society building to be erected near the church.
Rev. August Faber is the present pastor. The present officers of the church society are J. C. Aroe, president; A. C. Anderson, secretary and treasurer; trustees: L. Smith, P. Johnson, C. Christiansen. Miss Emma Grau is secretary of the Sunday school.
The Young People's society has an enrollment of sixty-seven members with Rev. August Faber as president; Miss K. Mikkelsen, secretary; and Miss K. Bodholt, treasurer.
The present officers of the Ladies Aid society are: president, Mrs. Anna Grau; secretary, Mrs. Mary Neilson; and treasurer, Mrs. Sophia Olson.
Extracted from: Wegerslev, C. H. and Thomas Walpole. "Newell." Past and Present of Buena Vista County, Iowa. Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1909, p. 171.