Buena Vista County, IA
The Danish Baptist Society" of Elk Township was organized May 1, 1884 and was incorporated March 11, 1889. Charter members were Nels Frandsen, Lina Frandsen, Jorgen Fredericksen, Juliana Fredericksen, Christian Hansen, Martin Hansen, Caroline Jacobsen, Moritz Jacobsen, Johanna Larsen, Lars Larsen, Margrete Petersen and Peter Petersen.
The church and adjacent cemetery were located six and one half miles north of Alta on Section 22 in Elk Twp., on land donated by Samuel Matheson. The first church building, built in 1889, burned in 1933 and was replaced by a brick structure the next year. A parsonage had been built in 1909. In 1926 the name was changed to "Elk Baptist Church" to reflect the changing membership and, by that time, the exclusive use of the English language in services.
This little building saw its congregants
through many joys and sorrows through the years, but declining membership by
the 1960's and 1970's forced the members to make a decision about their
beloved church. On Jan. 1, 1978 Elk Baptist Church was officially
disbanded. The cemetery is still being used by the community, and is well