Boise Norton "Hatch" Cemetery
Liberty Twp. Section 32
The Boise - Norton "Norton" Cemetery is the oldest know cemetery in Buchanan County.
The Independence Conservative of June 9, 1927 tells of J. J. Wheeler
visiting the old cemetery close to the iron bridge near Quasqueton. At that time
it was called the "Hatch" Cemetery. It had already been abandoned many years.
The article states many burials were made there during the Civil War years. At a
later date several elderly residents living in the area of the cemetery stated that
most of the burials had been moved to the Quasqueton and Rowley Cemeteries.
Mr. J. J. Wheeler copied the following inscriptions from the stones still readable
in 1927. Others known to be buried there are as follows: Mrs. James Ida Talbutt & Charles Butler.
When walked in 1979, Elizabeth Norton's stone was the only remaining stone.
Copyright © 2008-2017 The submitters & IAGenWeb
Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
All apply to Buchanan County website.