O. H. P.
Rozelle, an early figure in the growth of
was the first owner of this land, buying from the U.S. Government on 24
May, 1852. In a short time the property was in the hands of one Mathias
Harter, who, on 23 August 1858 had the present cemetery platted into an
addition to Independence,
known as Harter's Addition. Blocks 3, 4 and 5 now comprise
St. John's Cemetery.
Block 3, the older part and to the west, was purchased by Joseph
McGready, who 6 November 1866, deeded it to
Rev. John L. Gosker, the first resident
pastor of St. John's
Church. He then deeded it to Archbishop John
Hennessy of Dubuque,
Iowa. Land was also deeded to
St. John's Cemetery
by Ida S. Till at the turn of the century. This is now Block 4. Block 5
was purchased from Ervin and Adda Miller in
The first record
of any organization was November 1899 when a meeting of the ladies of
St. John's Church
organized the St. John's
Cemetery Society. We are deeply indebted to Mrs. Elizabeth J.
McSweeney for all the help and added
information she's given us in order to make this a more accurate
accounting of St. John's
07 Dec 1938
13 Dec 1851
28 Mar 1927
03 Jul 1836
21 Sep 1898
In keeping with our policy of providing
free information on the internet, data may be used by non-commercial
researchers, as long as this message remains on all copied material.
These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format for profit,
nor for presentation in any form by any other organization or
individual. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for
purposes other than as stated above, must obtain express written
permission from the author or the submitter and from the Buchanan Co.
Coordinator. This applies to the Buchanan County website. IAGenWeb
Conditions & Disclaimer ©2008-2012