Elizabeth Sawyer Frizelle (247)
Jonathan Crawford Ransier
2.* Elizabeth Sawyer Frizelle (247)
b. 30 Jun. 1836, New Woodstock, Cazenovia, Madison County, New York
d. 22 Dec. 1911, Independence, Buchanan County, Washington Twp., Iowa, aged 75 years.
Married: between 1856-1861 , Cazenovia, Madison Co., NY, Jonathan Crawford Ransier of Waterloo, Iowa.
Jonathan Crawford Ransier
b. 3 Mar. 1832, New Woodstock, Madison County, NY.
* 1860 June 6: United States Federal Census, Hillsdale, Hillsdale co., Michigan: Ransier, Jonathan C. , age 28 years [abt. 1831], value of real estate $ 1500, Value of personal property 4 200, b. New York; Elizabeth, age 23 [abt. 1836], b. New York; Charles E, age 6 [abt. 1853], b. New York; Mary F, age 5/12 [abt. Jan. 1860], Michigan; Frizella [Frizelle] Emma [sister of Elizabeth] age 15 [abt. 1844], New York; Smith, Leonard, age 17 [abt. 1842],b. Wurttemberg [Germany]; Randolph, Charles, age 18, [abt. 1841], Michigan. ( note last two persons relationship unknown, possible hired help ??)
children of Elizabeth Sawyer Frizelle & Jonathan Crawford Ransier are:
1. Charles E. Ransier, attorney & judge, b. April 1855 Cazenovia, Madison County, New York
m. Delpha L. abt. 1881, she was b. Oct. 1859 in Ohio
* 1881: Living in Minneapolis, Minnesota
* 1884, December : living in Independence, Iowa , office at The First National Bank Building. He was the Attorney who handled the estate of his grandfather Erasmus Frizelle
* 1900 United States Federal Census, Washington Township, Buchanan Co., Iowa: Ransier, Charles, E. Head of household, b. April 1855, age 45, number of years married 19 [abt. 1881], b. NY, both parents b. NY, occupation: Lawyer, can read & write, he owns his home; Delpha, L. b. Oct. 1859, age 40 years, married 19 years, b. Ohio, father b. PA, mother b. Ohio, can read & write; Marion, L. b. July 1883, age 16, single, b. Iowa, father b. NY, mother b. Iowa
* 1920, United States Federal Census, Wellington Street, Waterloo, Ward # 1,Dist # 14, Blackhawk Co., Iowa: Ransier, Charles E., head of household, he rent the home, age 65 years [abt. 1855], married, able to read & write, b. NY, father b. US, mother b. NY, occupation: lawyer General Practice; Delpha, L. wife, age 60 years [abt. 1880], married, can read & write, b. Ohio, both parents b. US, no occupation listed; Marion, L. daughter, age 36 years [abt. 1884], single, can read & write, b. Iowa, occupation Piano Teacher (note: own house)
* 1930, April 10: United States Federal Census, Cedar Heights, Blackhawk Co., Iowa: Ransier, Charles E., head of household, Value of home: $ 18,000, has a radio, not living on a farm, age 76 [abt. 1854], married at age 25 [abt. 1881] able to read & write, b. NY, both parents b. NY , occupation: Lawyer, he is employed and not a veteran; Delpha L., wife of head, age 71 [abt. 1859] in Ohio , both parents b. PA. , no occupation listed, she can read & write; Marion, daughter, age 46 [abt. 1884], single, b. Iowa, occupation: piano instructor, she is employed , can read & write; Olin, Marion B. , Servant, age 69 [abt. 1861], widow, b. Iowa, father b. Ohio, mother b. NH.
children of Charles E Ransier is:
1-1 Marion Ransier, b. 23 July 1883 , Ohio, d. Feb. 1965, Iowa ( ref. SS death Index, # Issued in Iowa before 1951)
2. Mary F. Ransier, b. abt. 1860, Michigan
James 1, 2, 3, Samuel 4, 5, Erasmus 6, Elizabeth Sawyer 7
Elzina ( Eliza Ann ) Frizell
Alpheus Emery Steward, 1st spouse
Isaac Dalley, 2nd spouse
James Monroe Sparling 3 rd spouse
3 * Elzina (Eliza Ann) Frizell (248)
b. 4 Jan. 1840, New Woodstock, Cazenovia, Madison County, New York
d. 14 May 1927, Independence, Buchanan Co., Iowa, a. 87 yrs., Interment; plot 19, Oakwood Cemetery, 6th. St. & 3rd Ave Independence, Iowa
m. 1st. spouse: 8 Oct. 1858, New Woodstock, Madison Co, N.Y., Methodist Episcopal Church , Alpheius Emery Steward.
m. 2nd spouse: as his 2nd. Spouse, 1868, Independence, Buchanan Co., Iowa, * Isaac (Isaack ) Dalley.
m. 3rd. spouse: * James Monroe Sparling, b. 26 Oct 1831
* 1840: born in New Woodstock, N. Y.
* 1858 m. 1st. spouse: Alpheus Emery Steward
* 1868, m. second spouse: Isaac Dalley ( note IGI index shows m. 7 July 1870)
* 1868: ( after) she moved to a farm in South Dakota with her husband Isaac Dalley
* 1868- 1880: ( between) She and her husband Isaac Dalley returned to Independence, Iowa
* 1880, June 8: United States Federal Census, Independence, Washington Township, Buchanan county, Iowa: Dalley , Isaac, age 69, [b. Abt. 1811], head, married, occupation: Farmer, b. NY, both parents b. NY; Elzina, age 40, [b. Abt. 1840] wife, married, Keeping house, b. NY, father b. NY, mother b. PA.; Frizell, Erasmus, age 79, [ b. abt. 1801] father-in-law, no occupation, b. NT, father b. Mass, mother b. Conn.; Stewart, Sarah, age 20, [ b. abt. 1860], step-daughter, Dress Maker, b. NY, both parents b. NY
* 1883 m. 3rd spouse: James M. Sparling
* 1883: ( few years after) she and her husband James Sparling moved to Lakeland, Florida.
* 1913: Elzina returned to Independence , Iowa after her husband James Sparling died.
* 1927: died , Independence, Iowa
* Elzina, Daughter of American Revolution, DAR # 44525, Vol. 45 ( DAR Application for Cazenovia, fender and Nelson): Born in New Woodstock, Town of Cazenovia, NY. Wife of James M. Sparling. Descendant of Simeon Tiffany of CT. Daughter of Erasmus Frizelle and Sarah Humprey his wife. Granddaughter of Samuel Frizelle and Polly Tiffany, his wife. Gr-Granddaughter of Simeon Tiffany and Ester Clark, His wife. Simeon Tiffany (1751-1806) served as a minute man in Caption Thomas Knowlton’s Company. He was born and died in Ashford, CT.
Mrs. Sparling Answers Call, Buchanan County, May 19, 1927: Mrs. Elzina Sparling, 87, widow of the late J. M. Sparling, and a highly esteemed resident, passed away in the home of her daughter, Mrs. Ira B. King. In the third ward Saturday evening, May 14, 1927, at 11:40 o'clock. Her death was due to old age infirmities. She had not been well for two or three months, but was up and about until three days before her death. The funeral services were held in the King home Monday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock. Rev. Roy Leslie Smith officiated. The Rebekahs and W. R. C. attended in a body and the Rebekah burial service was carried out at the interment in Oak Grove.
page no. 2 Elzina ( Eliza Ann ) Frizell (248)
* obit: Elzina Frizelle was born January 4, 1840 A daughter of Erasmus and Sarah Frizell. She was the last of a family of eight children. On October 8, 1858 she was married to A. E. Steward and to this union was born one daughter, Mrs. Ira B. King, by whom she is survived. In 1868 she was married to Isaac Dalley and moved to a farm in South Dakota, coming back here to take care of her aged father and mother, where Mr. Dalley's death occurred. On January 1, 1883, she was married to James Sparling. After a few years residence here they moved to Lakeland, Florida, were they lived until Mr. Sparling's death on May 31, 1913. Mrs. Sparling then came to Independence and made her home with her only child, Mrs. King. Besides the daughter she leaves to mourn her death four grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren. ( note She was the 4th child in a family of eight )
Mrs. Sparling was a lifelong member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. She was also a member of the W. I. C. and Rebekah Lodges. She was a quiet, unassuming woman, one who never complained. She lived a good, long and useful life, to a ripe, old age, and passed away honored and esteemed by a large circle of friends. Mrs. Sparling was one of two surviving members of E.C. Little W. R. C., the other being Mrs. M. D. Blakeley. Relatives from away who attended the funeral were Judge and Mrs. C. E. Ransier, of Waterloo, the first named a nephew, and Rich King, a grandson, of Omaha
Alpheus Emery Steward
b. 12 Sept. 1839, Homer, Courtland Co,. NY
d. 7 Jul. 1925, Independence, Buchanan Co. Iowa, a. 82 yrs.
one daughter: Sarah or Sadie L. Steward , who m. Buchanan Co., Iowa , 16 Sept. 1882 Ira B. King, 4 grand children, 7 great grand children. name of one grand child: Richard
* 1920, Jan. 20: United States Federal Census, Independence City, Buchanan Co., Iowa: King, Ira, B., head, own house, age 62, years, [ b. abt 1858], married, able to read & write, b. Ohio, father b. Penn, able to read & write, mother b. NY, no occupation ; Sarah, L. , wife, age 60, [b abt. 1860], New York, father b. Penn, mother b. NY, no occupation ; Sparling, Elzina, mother-in-law, age 79, [b abt. 1841], widow, b. NY, father b. Penn, mother b. Ohio, no occupation, ; Kirkham, Louise, sister, age 73, [ b abt. 1847} , widow, b. Ohio, father b. Penn, mother b. NY, no occupation
Isaac ( Isaack ) Dalley
b. 18 May 1811, Readington, Hunterdon, New Jersey ( Dalley family ref. IGI individual Record)
d. 6 Jun. 1882, Independence, Buchanan Co., Iowa, age 71 yrs, Interment: plot 156, Oak Grove Cemetery 6th St. & 3rd Ave., Independence, Iowa; Isaac was a farmer, they lived in South Dakota.
4. * Erasmus Burt Frizelle (249)
b. 31 Dec. 1841, New Woodstock, Cazenovia, Madison County, New York
d. 29 Oct. 1929, Denver, Colorado, aged 87 years, Interment at Sterling, Rice Co. Ks.
spouse, 1st Margaret Sexton Teller, b. 7 Oct. 1850. d. 15 Mar. 1900
married 2 Feb. 1869, Anoka County, Minnesota
2nd spouse, Clara C. Owen, widow of a Confederate Soldier
5. Emma " Emily " S. Frizelle (250)
b. 17 Sept. 1845, New Woodstock, Cazenovia, Madison County, New York
d. 22 Jul. 1881 Cincinnati, Ohio, aged 36 yrs, Interment; Oakwood Cemetery, Independence, ( Washington Twp.) Iowa. Ref. Iowa Cemetery records, add 1, lot 156
Oakwood Cemetery, Independence, Iowa
occ, dress maker, Cincinnati, Ohio from 1876 to 1881
* The Independence Bulletin, Death of Emma Frizelle, Buchanan County, Iowa, July 1881:
This community was startled last Friday by a telegram announcing the death of Miss. Emma S. Frizelle, of Cincinnati, which occurred at noon on that day, at her home in the city. The tidings were the more startling as no news of her illness had been received here. The first reports were to the effect that she had died from sunstroke, but we have since learned that congestion of the liver was the immediate cause of her death.
The deceased was born in the State of New York, and twenty years ago came to this city with her father's family, remaining here until five years ago, when she went to Cincinnati to reside with her sister, Mrs. Cook, where though her kind, generous nature, she won many friends, who join with her family in there sad bereavement. Both here and in Cincinnati her kind, pleasant ways and smiling face will be long remembered by those who knew and appreciated a true, noble woman.
Mrs. Cook accompanied the remains of her sister to this place, were she was buried Tuesday. Mrs. J. C. Ransier, another sister, residing in Minneapolis, arrived, but too late for the funeral. She will remain a few days with her friends here, and then return to her home.
6. Ellen E. Frizelle (252)
b. 15 Jan. 1846, New Woodstock, Cazenovia, Madison County, New York
d. 13 Feb. 1927, Buffalo, Erie County, New York
married , Thomas J. Hammant, unknown
married, Thomas George ( or ) George Thomas Fleming of Buffalo, New York; married 1900, Cazenovia, Madison Co., NY (ref. IGA File)
No issue either marriage
* Ellen, Daughter of American Revolution, DAR # 40042, Vol. 41* Application for Cazenovia, fender and Nelson): Born in New Woodstock, Town of Cazenovia, NY. Descendant of Simeon Tiffany of CT. Daughter of Erasmus Frizelle and Sarah Humprey his wife. Grad-daughter of Samuel Frizelle and Polly Tiffany, his wife. Gr-Granddaughter of Simeon Tiffany and Ester Clark, His wife. Simeon Tiffany (1751-1806) served as a minute man in Caption Thomas Knowlton's Company. He was born and died in Ashford, CT.
7. Ella E. Frizelle, b. abt. 1849, New Woodstock, Cazenovia, Madison County, New York
note : To my daughter Ella E. Ellsworth I give the one sixth part of the residue of my personal property and the undivided one sixth of any real estate of which I may die seized. [ref. Last Will and Testament of Erasmus Frizell, 10 January 1882]
8. Ensign Hill Frizelle (251)
b. 1850, New Woodstock, Cazenovia, Madison County, New York
d. May have died before 1883 also have 1926, Buna Vista, California
married, 1st ?? 3 Sept, 1878 Buchanan Co., Iowa, Viola M. Coats (ref. IGA File), she was b. abt. 1862, Iowa, both parents b. Ohio ?
Married, 2nd. ?? between 1880 and 1883 ?? , Annie S. [ref. "Annie" wife of son Ensign Hill : Last Will and Testament of Erasmus Frizell, 10 January 1882]
Child of Ensign Hill Frizell and Viola M. Coats was: Frederick Frizell, b. abt 1879, Iowa Ref. US Census
occ. Hotel Business
[Living in the household of John Ayers.
Copyright © 2013 The submitters & IAGenWeb
Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
All apply to Buchanan County website.