Carl L. Suby
SUBY, THRONTVEIT, OLSON
Posted By: Peter Gausmann (email)
Date: 2/7/2010 at 06:49:20
CARL L. SUBY
In the death of Carl L. Suby, Winnebago county lost one of its valued and substantial citizens, a man whose sterling worth was manifest in every relation and who by reason of his splendid characteristics commanded the fullest confidence and regard of all who knew him. He was born in Dodge county, Minnesota, July 16, 1870, a son of Leauf and Martha Suby, who were natives of Norway but in early life came to the United States and were married in Dodge county, where the father engaged in farming until 1886. He then removed to Mount Valley township, Winnebago county, Iowa, where he engaged in farming for a long period, but in his later years he retired from active business life and removed to Lake Mills, where he spent his remaining days in the enjoyment of a well earned rest, having acquired a competence that was sufficient to supply him with all of the necessities and comforts and some of the luxuries of life. He died September 5, 1913, while his wife survived only until the 5th of June, 1914, and they were laid to rest in the church cemetery on the farm of Fred Suby in Mount Valley township.
The early advantages of Carl L. Suby were somewhat limited. He enjoyed such educational opportunities as the pioneer schools of Minnesota afforded until he reached the age of sixteen years, when he felt that he must provide for his own support and began working for others. Later he took up the occupation of farming on his own account on rented land and when he had saved from his earnings a sufficient sum he purchased eighty acres in Mount Valley township, upon which he carried on general agricultural pursuits until he reached the age of twenty-four. From the time when he started out he displayed the utmost persistency of purpose, combined with indefatigable energy, and utilized every possible opportunity for advancement. At length he determined to try some other pursuit than that to which he was reared and when twenty-four years of age he entered the employ of the clothing firm of Stadhem & Larson at Lake Mills, remaining with them until 1903. In that year he removed to Scarville and became cashier of the Bank of Scarville, with Ole Scar as the president and Joseph Keeler as vice president. The bank was organized in that year and the original officers continued in their respective positions until 1911 with the addition, in 1907, of George Throntveit as assistant cashier. In 1911 Mr. Suby purchased all the stock of the bank, becoming sole owner and its president, with George Throntveit as cashier. The latter served in that position until 1913, when he was succeeded by L. R. Lunoe, who remained as cashier until January, 1914. At that time A. Melvin Larson became cashier and is still serving. The bank was conducted as a private institution until a recent date, when it was incorporated, and is now operating as a savings bank under the laws of Iowa with a capital stock of fifteen thousand dollars. Mr. Suby remained as the president of the bank until his death, which occurred on the 14th of April, 1917. The present officers are: T. A. Kingland, president; Dr. J. I. Suby, vice president; and A. Melvin Larson, cashier, and in connection with these three on the board of directors are George Throntveit and Mrs. C. L. Suby. In 1916 Dr. J. I. Suby purchased an interest in the bank and was then chosen vice president. This bank largely stands as a monument to the enterprise, good business ability and sound judgment of Carl L. Suby, who directed its policies from the beginning and whose administrative power and executive control placed it upon a safe footing, making it one of the substantial financial concerns of the county. In addition to his banking interests Mr. Suby was treasurer of the Cooperative Creamery, the elevator and the telephone companies of Scarville, and his life record was an exemplification of that progressive spirit which has been manifest in the organization of interests for the benefit of the many.
On the 24th of January, 1900, Mr. Suby was married to Miss Gunda Throntveit, a daughter of Jorgen and Gunhild (Olson) Throntveit, who were natives of Norway, where they were reared and married, and there the father died. Mrs. Suby came to the United States when a young lady of twenty years and prior to her marriage lived in Albert Lea, Minnesota. In 1910 the mother came to America and is now living with her son, George Throntveit, in Scarville. Mr. and Mrs. Suby became the parents of six children, namely, Myrtle G., John L., Luther, Carl Gustav, Le Roy M., who died May 7, 1915, and Paul J.
The family occupy a fine residence in Scarville, Mr. Suby having left his family in very comfortable financial circumstances. He was most devoted to the welfare of his wife and children and counted no personal effort or sacrifice on his part too great if it would enhance their happiness. His life was ever honorable and upright and was guided by the teachings of the Synod Lutheran church, of which he was a devoted member. In politics he was a republican and for twelve years served as mayor of Scarville, while during the last year of his life he was treasurer of the town. His long incumbency in the office of chief executive indicated his marked fidelity and the ability with which he discharged his duties, his administration being characterized by various needed reforms and improvements. As a business man, as a citizen and as a husband and father he ranked high and he left to his family not only the substantial rewards of his labor but also the priceless heritage of an untarnished name.
Source: History of Winnebago County and Hancock County, Iowa: A Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress and Achievement, Vol. II. Pioneer Publishing Company (Chicago), 1917. pp. 534-536.
Winnebago Biographies maintained by Cheryl Siebrass.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen