O’Loughlin, Rev. John
O’LOUGHLIN, JOHNSON, FARLEY
Posted By: mjv (email)
Date: 10/30/2020 at 13:05:00
Rev. John O’Loughlin, who is a missionary worker of the Society of Bible Christians, resides on , section 34, township 77, range 7, in what is known as English River Township, where he is the owner of 200 acres of land, of which 160 acres is under cultivation, the remainder being in timber. He was born in Jefferson County, Ind., April 2, 1821, and is the son of John and Dicey (Johnson) O’Loughlin, both of whom were natives of Kentucky, the former being of Irish descent, his father having been born in County Clare, Ireland. When John was but fifteen years of age the family moved to Little Rock, Ark., arriving at that place on Christmas Day, 1836. They only remained there, however, until the spring of 1837, when they came to the fair State (then Territory) of Iowa, where it was to be hoped the opportunity for future improvement would be much better. Locating in Louisa County, about six miles south of Wapello, steps were at once taken to improve a farm. The family then consisted of the parents and nine children, six sons and three daughters. At this writing, our subject and one brother are all that are left, the rest having passed on to “the better land.” James, the living brother, now resides in Pawnee County, Neb., and is a prosperous farmer.
The first occupation in which John engaged, after arriving in Iowa, was to assist a party of surveyors in laying off Des Moines and Louisa Counties into sections. In March, 1838, in company with his father, George O’Loughin and Mr. Tribette, he visited Washington County, where the entire party made claim to some of the rich Government land which was waiting to be “tickled” by the hoe,” that it might “laugh with a harvest.” In March, 1839, he returned to his claim in English River Township and at once began its improvement. Being without means, he was compelled to work at such odd jobs as he could find to do, that he might live and further improve his land as the opportunity was afforded him.
Time passed, and realizing that it was not good for man to be alone, in September, 1844, Mr. O’Loughlin was united in marriage at Pilot’s Grove, now Pilotsburg, with Miss Dicey A. Farley, a native of Shawneetown, Ind., and daughter of Edward and Polly Farley. A family of eight children have been born unto them: D. Marion married Victoria Marsh, and is an ex-sheriff, now engaged in insurance and real-estate business; they have seven living children, five girls and two boys, and reside in Washington. William Ambrose married Elizabeth Rogers, and is living in Potter County, Dak., engaged in farming; they have four children, two boys and two girls. Almedia died in childhood; Legora Herschel married Lottie Wilson, and resides in Shelby County, Iowa, engaged in farming; they have four children, three girls and one boy. Mary Elizabeth is the wife of John Leffler, who owns a farm of 200 acres near Ainsworth, but is temporarily living on Mr. O’Loughlins farm; they have three children, two boys and one daughter. Lyeurgus Newton married Sarah Bradley and lives in Shelby County, Iowa, where he is engaged in farming; they have three children, one daughter and two sons. Luther Calvin and Ida Ellen complete the family.
When in his twenty-third year Mr. O’Loughlin professed conversion and united with the Protestant Methodist Church, and has since endeavored to live a consistent Christian life. The study of the Scriptures was now a pleasure to him, and in time a talent for public speaking was developed, and he spoke to the people upon a theme which is ever dear to the followers of the meek and lowly Jesus. As his views did not at all times coincide with the body with whom he was associated, he began preaching independently in 1853, and in company with Ira A . Parker, he organized a society called the Church of Christ, at Elm Grove. In 1860, by a vote of the Church, he was regularly ordained to the ministry of the Word, and has since been recognized as a regular minister of the Gospel. The Church of Christ in due time was into the Union Christian Church, and in 1870 Mr. O’Laughlin was received by the Union Christian Conference at Shiloh, this county, as a regularly ordained minister.
For thirty years, Mr. O’Loughlin preached for the Church of Christ and Union Bible Christians in his neighborhood, but since 1885 has been engaged in mission preaching. Throughout Washington and adjoining counties he is well and favorably known, and whether as a minister of the Word or a humble private citizen, he is universally respected. For almost a half-century he has been a citizen of Washington County, locating here while yet in his teens. He is now rapidly nearing his threescore and ten years, but is a hale and hearty man, one who has the best interests of humanity at heart and who delights to do good. As a pioneer citizen and as a representative of that great body of men who seek to plant the cross in all lands, that all may enjoy salvation in Christ, it is with pleasure that we make this short record of his life, and at the same time present the portrait of this noble man of God to the readers of the ALBUM.
Source: Portrait and Biographical Album of Washington County, Iowa (1887). Excerpt from Biographical Sketch of Rev. John O’Loughlin, pages 601-602. Biographical Portrait on page 600.
Washington Biographies maintained by Joanne L. Breen.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen