Richter, Bernard 1855-1918 & Elizabeth Gacke Family
RICHTER, GACKE, HOLZ, TASTO
Posted By: Wilma J. Vande Berg - volunteer (email)
Date: 3/24/2022 at 11:36:52
Richter, Bernard (1855-1918) and Elizabeth Gacke Family
This story was taken from page 138 of the Rock Valley St. Mary’s Catholic Church Book written for the centennial of the church in about 1982(?). The story was transcribed for this BIOS by Beth De Leeuw of the Greater Sioux County Genealogical Society. Some research notes were added.
BERNARD was born July 11, 1855 in Westphalen, Germany. He came to America with his family and married ELIZABETH GACKE on February 22, 1884. Elizabeth, daughter of Adolph Gacke and Elizabeth Tasto, was born July 1, 1863 at Burlington, Wisconsin. Bernard and Elizabeth were to be married on the 21st, but a snowstorm prevented the priest from a nearby town from getting to Rock Valley. The food had all been prepared so they had the celebration the 21st, and the wedding the next day. Their children were all born at Rock Valley and they are,
1. ALBERT, born November 21, 1884 and married to Margaret Eilen. They were the parents of eight children and 39 grandchildren. Albert died August 6, 1946 and Margaret died March 1, 1979.
2. IDA was born August 30, 1886. She married Ed Wallrich and had ten children and 22 grandchildren. Ida died March 4, 1924 and Ed died December 19, 1937.
3. BERNARD was born in 1888 and died in 1889.
4. LOUIS was born September 23, 1890. He married Anna Hatting and they farmed near Ashton. They had seven children and 49 grandchildren. Lou died January 27, 1972 and Anna died November 15, 1958.
5. ELLA was born December 24, 1895. She married Henry Hatting and they farmed near Ashton. They had two daughters and three grandsons. Ella died March 22, 1916 and Henry died September 21, 1953.
6. FRANK was born July 21, 1896. He married Frances Shoo, and they farmed at Estelline, South Dakota and Ashton. They had seven children and twelve grandchildren. Frank died December 25, 1950 and Frances lives at Sheldon. They moved from Rock Valley to a farm near Ashton.
OBITUARY of Ben Richter
Rock Valley Bee of Jul 12, 1918
Ben Richter a former resident of Rock valley vicinity died at his home at Ashton IA, Sunday eveing after a long illness. Rock Valley relatives went to Ashton Tuesday to attend his funeral. The deceased will be remembered here by the older residents. We will try give further account next week.
The Life Summary of Johann Bernard Richter
When Johann Bernard Richter Jr. was born on 11 July 1855, in Westphalia, Prussia, Germany, his father, Johann Bernard Richter Sr., was 31 and his mother, Maria Francisca Holz, was 31. He married Anna Maria Elizabeth Gacke on 21 February 1884, in Rock Valley, Sioux, Iowa, United States. They were the parents of at least 4 sons and 2 daughters. He lived in Settlers Township, Sioux, Iowa, United States in 1900 and Gilman Township, Osceola, Iowa, United States in 1910. He died on 7 July 1918, in Ashton, Osceola, Iowa, United States, at the age of 62, and was buried in Ashton, Osceola, Iowa, United States.
The Life Summary of Anna Maria Elizabeth Gacke
When Anna Maria Elizabeth Gacke was born on 1 July 1863, in Burlington, Racine, Wisconsin, United States, her father, Bernard Adolph Gaeke, was 53 and her mother, Anna Catherine Elisabeth Tasto, was 37. She married Johann Bernard Richter Jr. on 21 February 1884, in Rock Valley, Sioux, Iowa, United States. They were the parents of at least 4 sons and 2 daughters. She lived in Lyons, Walworth, Wisconsin, United States in 1880 and Settlers Township, Sioux, Iowa, United States in 1900. She died on 10 October 1943, in Ashton, Osceola, Iowa, United States, at the age of 80.
Sioux Biographies maintained by Linda Ziemann.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen