Dewhurst, Nellie Ellen (Gell) 1862 - 1925
DEWHURST, GELL, POLSLEY, CRANE, TURNBULL
Posted By: Cindy Maust Smith (email)
Date: 10/17/2020 at 23:50:15
The Clarinda Journal, November 19, 1925, Clarinda, Iowa, Page 3
Nellie Gell, daughter of Thomas and Mary Ann Gell, was born in Stark county, Ill., Dec. 8, 1862. Her spirit took flight on Nov. 3, 1925, at 2:00 o'clock p.m.
At eight years of age she came with her parents in the dead of winter in a covered wagon as far as possible, but had to abandon it and take the train at Shenandoah, where they were met by a neighbor, and taken to their new home one-half mile south of what is now Northboro, but at that tike an unbroken prairie.
On March 11, 1884, she was united in marriage to William Nelson Dewhurst, now county treasurer, who spent most of his life in and around Blanchard.
During her girlhood on the farm she attended school at South Liberty, and was intensely busy around home, being the eldest daughter, so naturally felt a great responsibility as her father died when she was young, and she felt she must care for the family.
She became a teacher and taught at West Point, North Star, Lone Rock, Liberty, and Mt. Pleasant, and many men and women of Page county now eminent and in prominent homes and positions were her pupils. She loved her work and students, and often in her home would talk with pride of those days.
After uniting in marriage to William Nelson Dewhurst, they moved to Illinois for about three years, where two children were born, Mrs. J.R. Polsley, Mrs. L.A. Crane. Again returning to Blanchard, Iowa, they purchased a farm two miles west of Blanchard, now owned by Mr. Rolf, where their youngest daughter, Mrs. Don Turnball, was born.
After about eight years of residence on that farm, where her health failed, they moved to Blanchard and spent all her remaining days except the last eleven months, a period of thirty-two years.
During the former part of this period, she quietly assumed the home duties, which included attending Sunday school, acting as teacher, followed by regular preaching services. In the afternoon acting as Junior superintendent of the Junior League, and at evening taking part in the Epworth League services. This only illustrates her intense ambitious nature.
During the last fifteen years she spent eleven years as a telephone operator, a work she greatly enjoyed, often speaking of the kindness shown her by the public, and the public generally had the kindest affection for her which many often expressed to her, which lightened her sufferings, for she had not known a real well day for years. It was with deepening regret that she was forced by ill health to give up her work.
As a mother, she was very devoted to her home; treasured it, loved it as a priceless blessing. She traveled far down the road of sacrifice that her children might have an education, and be properly equipped for the finer things of life.
She never knew a limit to sacrifice and service for her children, and when the last three years came, her loved ones attempted to pay the debt that children owe to a mother, and the husband to a wife, by walking the roads of sorrow and sacrifice without sunshine, hoping against hope that the next step would reveal a silver lining to the clouds, but like Ponce de Leon who sought for the fountain of youth, came to the end, hunting and looking in vain.
Doctor after doctor was consulted, hospitals and sanitarium were sought, the medical profession was constantly studying her case, hoping to relieve her suffering, but steadily anaemia, that incurable disease that destroys the red corpuscies of the blood, and which the medical profession know no cure for, kept up its work until the hand of Providence bade her spirit come home to rest.
She leaves a devoted husband, three daughters, Mrs. J.R. Polsley, Mrs. L.A. Crane of Blanchard, Iowa; and Mrs. D.R. Turnbull of Maryville, Mo., besides two brothers, two sisters, and a host of relatives and friends.
Mother was a member of the Methodisf Episcopal church since early girlhood, and attempted to live up to her profession, for she never spared herself for her loved ones, and this community.
"She loved to be of service to her people, and her community."
The funeral services were held Thursday afternoon at the Methodist Episcopal church in Blanchard, conducted by the pastor, Rev. E.H. Jackson, and interment was in the Blanchard cemetery. A quartette composed of Mr. and Mrs. R.E. Miller, Mrs. Guy Thurman and Frank Hooker furnished the music for the last sad service.
Page Obituaries maintained by Pat O'Dell.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen