CHARLES MONROE FULTON
FULTON, WEBB, POTTER, STEWART, HUMISTON, VAN DYKE
Posted By: volunteer
Date: 3/24/2009 at 18:29:03
HON. CHARLES MONROE FULTON, the Mayor of Columbus Junction, Iowa, Justice of the Peace, and general insurance, loan and collection agent, was born at Shelby, Richland Co., Ohio, on the 26th of August, 1836, and is the son of Hugh and Maria Althier (Webb) Fulton. His father was born near Lake Ontario, in Ontario County, N. Y., June 6, 1807, and was of Scotch-Irish descent. On coming to America the family originally settled in Maryland. The mother of our subject was born in Connecticut, and on her father's side was descended from the early Puritans. Her mother was of French descent. Mr. Fulton, Sr., moved from New York to Ohio with his family in 1832, and from there to Louisa County, Iowa, in 1854, locating on a farm in Marshall Township. Later they removed to Mt. Pleasant, Henry Co., Iowa, where Mrs. Fulton died in 1866. The husband and father departed this life at Fairfield, Iowa, in 1883.
Charles M. was reared on a farm and received a common-school education. When twenty-one years of age he went to New York City, clerking for a year for Ray W. Potter, and the succeeding two years with A. T. Stewart, in his wholesale house. Returning to Iowa he again engaged in farming in Louisa County. On the 19th of April, 1860, he was united in marriage with Miss Anna E. Humiston, daughter of Charles and Lucy Humiston. Mrs. Fulton was born at Wallingford, Conn., and five living children grace their union, two sons and three daughters: Chester Irwin, now a practicing physician of Columbus Junction, Iowa; Edward Hugh is a printer, employed at his trade at Leavenworth, Kan.; Fannie F. is the wife of Benjamin Van Dyke, and resides in Marion County, Kan.; Alma Blanche and Eva May reside with their parents.
In 1873 Mr. Fulton engaged in the mercantile business at Columbus Junction, which he carried on until 1878. In April, 1874, he was appointed Postmaster at Columbus Junction, and held that position for twelve years, or until the change of administration caused a change in incumbents in the office, and he retired in September. 1886. He then began the insurance, loan and collection business, in company with J. J. Russell, and in January, 1888, was appointed Justice of the Peace to fill a vacancy. He has been a member of the Town Council several times, was elected the first Mayor of the town in 1874, served one term, and was re-elected to the same office in March, 1888. In 1876 he was chosen a member of the Board of Trustees of the Eastern Iowa Normal School, and has held that position continuously since. In May, 1888, Mr. Russell sold out to O. E. Hobbie, and the existing partnership of Fulton & Hobbie was formed. Mr. Fulton is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Lodge No. 22, and has been a consistent member of the Republican parly since its organizntion. During all the years that lie has served the people in an official capacity, he lias been fouw) prompt, competent anrl faithful in the discharge of every duty, and always courteous to both great and small.
Source: Portraits and Biographies copyrighted by Chapman Bros. 1885
Louisa Biographies maintained by Lynn McCleary.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen