JOHNSON, A. M.
Posted By: Volunteer (email)
Date: 2/24/2005 at 13:53:49
Biography reproduced from page 393 of the History of Kossuth and Humboldt Counties, Iowa published in 1884:
A. M. Johnson & Son are also an enterprising wagon making firm. They opened a shop in 1882 and are doing quite an extensive business. The Johnson wagon is deservedly popular.
A. M. Johnson is a native of Delaware Co., N.Y. When eighteen years of age he learned the blacksmith’s trade. He was married in 1844 to Elizabeth Fish, they having four children—George, Lafayette, Edward and Augusta. In August, 1862, he enlisted in company F, 31st Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and took part in Sherman’s raid on Vicksburg, Arkansas Post, Young’s Point, siege and capture of Vicksburg; here he was taken sick and sent to Lossing’s hospital, from there to Quincy, Ill., when in February, 1864, he was discharged. He then returned to Jackson Co., Iowa, where he had settled in 1856. In 1865 he located in Irvington township, now Sherman township, on section 5, where he engaged in farming, and in the spring of 1879 came to Algona. In the spring of 1882 he opened up a wagon shop in company with his son, where they turn out some excellent work, and are known far and wide as the Johnson wagon. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Kossuth Biographies maintained by Linda Ziemann.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen