SHEETZ, L. A., M. D.
SHEETZ, MINNICK, LANGDON, MOORE
Posted By: Jean Kramer (email)
Date: 7/29/2003 at 21:19:54
Biography reproduced from page 285 of the History of Kossuth and Humboldt Counties, Iowa published in 1884:
L. A. Sheetz, M. D., one of the prominent business men of Algona, was born in Stephenson Co., Ill., in 1844. His parents were Jared and Magdalena Mennig, who emigrated to Stephenson Co., Ill., in 1840, being among the early settlers of the county. The doctor was reared and educated in his native county. He entered the medical department of the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, in 1862, and finished the studies of the sophomore class in 1863. In 1864 he enlisted in the 8th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, was made adjutant of the regiment. The regiment led in the charge at Fort Blakely and was the first to plant their colors on the walls. In 1866 he was mustered out at Baton Rouge. Returning from the war he commenced the study of medicine in the office of Dr. B. T. Buckley, at Freeport, Ill., and during the winter of 1867-8, attended medical lectures at Rush Medical College, Chicago, Ill. In the winter of 1868-69 he attended lectures at Bellevue Hospital Medical College, New York, graduating in the spring of 1869. In May of the same year he came to Algona, where he embarked in the drug business in company with Durant brothers, and at the same time followed the practice of medicine. In 1872 the firm was dissolved, the stock being divided, and he started his present place of business. In 1870 he was married to Dona Langdon, a daughter of Henry D. Langdon, of St. Lawrence Co., N. Y.
Biography reproduced from page 168 of Volume II of the History of Kossuth County written by Benjamin F. Reed and published in 1913:
The history of Algona would be incomplete and unsatisfactory were there failure to make prominent reference to Dr. L. A. Sheetz, whose memory is tenderly cherished by all who knew him, notwithstanding fourteen years have passed since he was called to his final rest. His life was fraught with many good deeds, with earnest purpose and high resolve, and was an influence for good along many lines outside the strict path of his profession. He was born in Freeport, Illinois, in 1843, his parents being Jared and Magdalene (Minnick) Sheetz. The fathers of Mr. and Mrs. Jared Sheetz were ministers of the gospel. Dr. Sheetz was a graduate of the Freeport high school and subsequently entered the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, where he was pursuing his collegiate course when the outbreak of the Civil war aroused his spirit of patriotism and at the age of nineteen years he responded to the country’s call, enlisting in the Eighth Illinois Infantry, with which he served throughout the war. He was acting as adjutant of the company when honorably discharged at the close of hostilities, after having participated in many hotly contested engagements which led up to the final triumph that crowned the Union arms.
After the war Dr. Sheetz resumed the study of medicine with Dr. Buckley, of Freeport, Illinois, as his preceptor. He later entered Rush Medical College of Chicago and subsequently became a student in Bellevue College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York city, from which he was graduated in 1868 with the degree of M. D. He came immediately afterward to Algona and was associated with Durant Brothers, the pioneer druggists of the city. Later he purchased the business, which he conducted to the time of his death, and at the same time engaged in the practice of medicine. In 1871 he erected the corner brick block that is known as Sheetz drug store. As a merchant and professional man he ranked high, at all times recognizing his obligations as well as his privileges along those lines, and winning his success by persistent, earnest, honorable effort.
On the 27th of September, 1870, Dr. Sheetz was united in marriage to Miss Fredonia M. Langdon, a daughter of Henry Dubois Langdon, of Canton, New York, who was a hardware merchant and built the first large brick block in that city. It was in Freeport, Illinois, after the close of the Civil war, that Dr. Sheetz became acquainted with his future wife and later went to Canton, New York, to claim his bride, the marriage being celebrated on the 27th of September, 1870. Mrs. Sheetz was educated in the Canton University and forty-two years ago came to Algona as a bride, making her home in this city until her death, which occurred May 5, 1912. They had no children of their own but Dr. Sheetz assumed the education and rearing of an orphaned nephew, Henry M. Moore, who is now married and makes his home in San Antonio, Texas.
Dr. Sheetz was always prominent in community affairs and for one term was mayor of Algona. During his term of office he labored assiduously to promote the business interests of the city and introduced various measures of reform and improvement. He belonged to Algona Lodge, No. 174, K. P., and was also prominently identified with the Grand Army of the Republic, being not only an active member but also the first commander of James C. Taylor Post, at Algona. He was for thirty years a resident of this city. Coming to Kossuth county during the early period of its development, he lived here through all the troublous times of the grasshopper scourge which rendered futile all attempts to raise crops and brought on hard times. At that period he endeared himself to the people by his many acts of kindness and benevolence, acts that have never been forgotten by his friends and acquaintances and cause his memory to be cherished and honored by all who knew him.
Kossuth Biographies maintained by Linda Ziemann.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen