LANGDON & LONG
LANGDON, LONG, PUTSCH, TOWNSEND, HUDSON, MCCALL, HENDERSON
Posted By: Jean Kramer (email)
Date: 1/23/2004 at 09:48:07
Biography reproduced from page 689 of Volume II of the History of Kossuth County written by Benjamin F. Reed and published in 1913:
Langdon & Long is the present style of one of the pioneer grocery firms of Algona and was adopted on the 1st of April, 1910. The concern had its beginning when H. S. Langdon entered mercantile circles here in 1875 and has enjoyed a steady growth to the present time. Mrs. H. J. Putsch, a daughter of Mr. Langdon, is now at its head and is ably assisted in its management by Abner Long. The name of Langdon has figures prominently in mercantile circles of Algona from pioneer times down to the present. H. S. Langdon established himself in the grocery business at Algona in 1875 and a few years later became the senior member of the firm Langdon & Townsend, the latter gentleman being now a resident of Seattle. This partnership existed for about ten years, when Cheever Hudson acquired Mr. Townsend’s interest in the firm and the title became Langdon & Hudson. For another ten-year period this firm continued on the even tenor of its way, the business steadily growing to meet the demands of the trade. In the meantime Mr. Langdon passed away, but the Langdon estate retained their interest in the business. Mr. Hudson remained at its head until 1901, when failing health made it necessary for him to give up the confining work in the store and he sold his interest, returning to Indiana, where he has since passed away. Then it was that the firm became Langdon & Company, Mrs. H. J. Putsch, Miss Ella Langdon and other heirs of the H. S. Langdon estate taking the entire interest in the business. From that time to the present Mrs. Putsch has been at the head of the concern and has directed its affairs. During the first two or three years she was assisted by Leon McCall, who then resigned to go west and was succeeded by Abner Long. The latter was an efficient employe of the establishment for nine years and during six or seven years of that time acted in the capacity of assistant manager and bore much of the responsibility of the buying. The plan that Mr. Long acquire a financial interest in the business had been under consideration for some time and on April 1, 1910, arrangements were completed whereby that gentleman, who had faithfully served the house for so many years, became a member of the firm and the title of Langdon & Company was changed into that of Langdon & Long. One of the local papers made note of the change in the personnel of the concern, reading in part as follows: “It is appropriately fitting that A. L. Long, who has had much to do with the past progress of this house, should become known to the business world as one of the proprietors and thus have a voice in its management. To the general public there will be no apparent change in the manner of conducting the store. Mrs. Putsch, a daughter of H. S. Langdon, will still remain at the head, dividing responsibility with Mr. Long. Frank Henderson, who has been with the house for a long time, will remain with the new firm, acting more in the capacity of assistant manager, and the customers of this popular firm will continue to be served in the prompt and efficient manner that has characterized their dealings in the past.”
Kossuth Biographies maintained by Linda Ziemann.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen