Old Landmark At Monticello Will Be Torn Down-1929
VAREL, WAGNER, HOLSTON
Posted By: cheryl moonen (email)
Date: 11/22/2017 at 21:06:47
The Telegraph Herald and Times Journal, Dubuque, Iowa, May 8, 1929
Old Landmark At
Be Torn Down
Monticello, Ia. May 8. – Special: One of Monticello’s oldest landmarks will soon disappear when the Monticello House will be wrecked in order to give place to a filling station. This building is located on the corner First and Main Streets on Highway No. 161, and was the first hotel in Monticello.
It is a two story frame structure and was built in 1854 by a man named Wagner, who sold it to two brothers, Abraham and Walter Holston. They had half of the second story done off in one room as a dance hall and during the early history of the town it was the scene of many gay dances and parties. They could both play the fiddle and when they wanted to have a dance they cleared the beds out and travelers and boarders had to sit up until the dance was over, which lasted many times until broad daylight.
When war was declared in 1861, the Monticello House became the general meeting place for the men of the entire section, who gathered to discuss events and make plans for organizing a company of volunteers to enlist for service. Enthusiastic rallies were held when oftener than not ended in rioting, owing to the fact that many among the early settlors were a number of southern sympathizers, chief among them being, Daniel Varvel, the first settler here. At one time during a patriotic meeting he was forced to flee from the settlement because of his loudly expressed secession sentiments. However, after a time he returned to the village and peace was restored.
Jones Documents maintained by Constance McDaniel Hall.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen