[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Mrs. Mary Romans Recalls Southern County History

EFNOR, ROMANS, WOOD

Posted By: JCGS Volunteer
Date: 5/7/2017 at 09:57:32

Mrs. Mary Romans Recalls Southern County History
Mrs. Mary Romans Recalls Southern County History
Ninety-four Year Old County Resident Came here in 1856
Mrs. Mary A. Romans, pioneer resident of the Monroe and Tool’s Chapel neighborhood, living near the popularly known Romans lake, has just celebrated her 94th birthday anniversary. She was born Feb. 21, 1841 in Kosciusko county, Indiana, the daughter of Eli and Elizabeth Wood.
The family migrated to Iowa in 1856 and settled east of Monroe in what is known today as the Tool’s Chapel neighborhood.
Married in 1865
Mrs. Romans married A. D. Romans Feb. 10, 1865. The young couple moved to a farm southeast of Reasnor a short time later, where she has lived for the last 66 years of her life. She lived on a farm during that entire period. At the present time she is staying in Newton with her daughter, Mrs. E. E. Efnor.
Mrs. Romans can recall the early days of Jasper county history when the country was wild and sparsely inhabited. The Romans family traded mostly at Monroe, although an occasional trip was made to Galesburg and in later years to Reasnor.
About 1848
While unable to say definitely when Galesburg was founded, she said that she thought it quite likely that the town was formed in 1848.
This pioneer settler can remember when buffalo roamed the country side even in Jasper county. And she tells of seeing many Indians in the region of her early life.
She was interested in the Tools Chapel church, her father giving much of his time and money to the furtherance of its work.
Source: newspaper name unknown; date was sometime in 1935


 

Jasper Documents maintained by Barbara Hug.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]