[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

SMITH, William


Posted By: Karon Velau (email)
Date: 6/9/2021 at 12:53:20

William Smith
born Apr 7, 1852, Penn

William Smith, owner and proprietor of the Central Roller Mills, Ida Grove, Iowa, is another one of the representative citizens of Ida County, and a
man of whom it is appropriate that some mention be made in this work. Mr. Smith succeeded Wilkinson & Smith in the milling business, this firm having succeeded Brown & Ream. Mr. Brown was the founder of the plant and erected the building, a two-story structure, in 1883, it being a buhrstone mill, and having a capacity of forty barrels. In 1887, after it had passed into the
hands of Wilkinson & Smith, it was changed to a roller mill, and its capacity increased to sixty barrels per day. Since Mr. Smith has had full control of the mill he has erected a new engine house, removed the old slide valve
and replaced it with a Reynolds-Corliss engine. This mill is now one of the best in the county, and its product, the "Ivory Patent," “White Pearl" and "Oasis" brands, finds ready market in this and adjoining counties, some of it being sold as far south as Shelby county. Mr. Smith also does a large exchange business. He employs three men in the mill. In connection with his
milling business he handles hard and soft coal and all kinds of feed.
William Smith dates his birth in Perry County, Pennsylvania, April 7. 1852. He is a son of John and Sarah (Bauserman) Smith, whose remote ancestors were Germans. He was reared on a farm in his native State. At the age of eighteen he started out in life on his own responsibility, and since that time
has been chiefly engaged in the milling business. When he was twenty-five he came West and located in Sac County, Iowa, where he engaged in farming one year. Then he moved to Battle Creek, Ida County, and for five years and a half was engaged in the milling business there. His next move was to
Ida Grove. Here he took charge of the mill then owned by Brown & Ream, being employed by them for more than a year. February 12, 1885, in company with William Wilkinson, he purchased the plant, and the business was continued by Wilkinson & Smith until the spring of 1889, since which time Mr. Smith has been sole proprietor. As a citizen Mr. Smith stands high in this
community. Politically he affiliates with the Democratic party, and is now (1892) serving his second term as a member of the City Council. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. Mr. Smith was married in January, 1883, to Miss Matilda J. Shearer, of Dellville, Pennsylvania. They have had a family of five children, four of whom are living, viz.: Samuel M., Sarah E., William W. and Jennie B., Emily H., the third-born, is deceased.
Source: Biographical History of Crawford, Ida, and Sac Counties, Iowa, 1893, p.324


Ida Biographies maintained by Tonja Winekauf.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]