Henry County Institute of Science - 1870
Posted By: Pat Ryan White (email)
Date: 6/13/2016 at 21:59:55
ORIGIN OF THE INSTITUTE.
In the year 1869, George Miller, then a resident of Trenton, realizing the necessity of higher education and social advantages, for the people of the community in which he lived, decided to erect and donate a building to be used as a public hall for social meetings and public entertainments. The Hall contains a library of 1,400 volumes, to which additions are made annually, of the best and latest publications. The society, known as the Henry County Institute of Science was organized in the year 1870.
The Hall also contains a Museum, Statuary, Stereoscope, and much that is useful and instructive. Meetings of the Society are held on the first Saturday in every month, giving to its members an opportunity to meet and talk over those problems of life which should be the study of every good citizen.
Mr. Miller’s death occurring suddenly before the building was transferred, his relatives in Pennsylvania respecting the wishes of the beneficent donor, the building was deeded to the trustees whom he had selected. Trenton being the central point of interest in Trenton Township, the advantages of the Institute may be enjoyed by all.
[From “Catalogue of the Books and Periodicals Belonging to Henry County Institute of Science”, Trenton, Iowa, May 20, 1890, Mt. Pleasant Journal Press]
Henry Documents maintained by Constance McDaniel Hall.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen