Charles Livingston Clock
CLOCK, HASKELL, SATCHELL
Posted By: S. Ferrall - IAGenWeb volunteer
Date: 5/13/2012 at 10:49:22
Charles Livingston Clock, of Redlands, was born in Painesville, Ohio, Lake county, May 10, 1841, and lived there until 1852, when with his mother and two brothers he moved to Warren, Joe Daviess county, Illinois.
Mr. Clock was among the first to respoind to the call for troops on the breaking out of the Civil War. He enlisted in May, 1861, in Company E, 15th Illinois Infantry, and served some time, when his health being poor, he was discharged for disability, but was soon appointed as forage master of the 4th Division, 16th Army Corps, and afterwards at General Frank P. Blairís headquarters, 17th Army Corps, and continued there until the close of the war.
After the war he made his residence at Geneva, Franklin county, Iowa, locating on a section of unimproved land and continued farming until 1877, when he was elected County Auditor of Franklin county, and moved to Hampton, the county seat. So successfully did he conduct the affairs of the office that at the expiration of his term, he was nominated and re-elected to the same office; at the close of his second term he received the nomination for County Treasurer on the Republican ticket, and so great was his popularity he was given the entire vote of the county. At the expiration of his term as county Treasurer, he was tendered the nomination, but refused to be a candidate, his health being poor.
He and a brother, H.A. Clock, and a nephew, Eugene clock, engaged in the mercantile business at Latimer, Iowa, and also dealt in grain, lumber and coal. The firm did a very successful business. Later the business was conducted by C.L. Clock and three sons, F.H., H.L. and C.H. Clock, who were at Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois. After this change Mr. Clock was appointed postmaster at Latimer which he held until moving to California. He was also elected supervisor of Franklin county, while at Latimer and served one term but declined the renomination.
The Hampton 'Franklin County Recorder' pays Mr. Clock a handsome compliment under date of January 6, 1899, stating he was the most popular man in the county. On account of overwork in office and store, Mr. Clock moved to Redlands in the spring of 1895 purchasing the property where he now resides, a 20 acre Washington Navel orange grove, to which he added 5 acres, making 25 acres, one of the most typical and productive orange orchards in Redlands. He and his sons also own 70 acres of fine trees, navels and valencias, in Lugonia.
Mr. Clock was married in 1867 to Rebecca Haskell, of Nora, Illinois. They are the parents of three sons: Fred H., Harry L. and Charles H. Clock. Fred H. was married in 1895 to Jessie Satchell, of Wichita, Kansas. They have four children: Fred L., Charles S., Dorothy Helen and Ruth Irene Clock. H.L. and C.H. Clock live at 51 E. Palm avenue.
C.L. Clock and wife have been members of the First Methodist Episcopal church since 1870, and have always taken an active part in its affairs. He has held the office of president of the board of trustees for the last seven years.
Mr. Clock has been a member of the Masonic Fraternity since 1862, and belongs to the Royal Arch degree. He and his wife are also members of the Eastern Star. He is one of the directors of the Redlands Board of Trade, and belongs to the Bear Valley Post, G.A.R., has always been considered a safe conservative man, prompt in business and very liberal according to his means in all public and private affairs.
~Ingersoll's century annals of San Bernadino County, 1769 to 1904; by L.A. Ingersoll, 1904; pg 735
Franklin Biographies maintained by Crystal Wilken.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen