DIXON, George Lane
DIXON, LANE, SWANSON
Posted By: Debbie Clough Gerischer, IAGenWeb Volunteer
Date: 1/14/2009 at 11:02:47
A Narrative History
The People of Iowa
SPECIAL TREATMENT OF THEIR CHIEF ENTERPRISES IN
EDUCATION, RELIGION, VALOR, INDUSTRY,
EDGAR RUBEY HARLAN, LL. B., A. M.
Curator of the
Historical, Memorial and Art Department of Iowa
THE AMERICAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, Inc.
Chicago and New York
GEORGE LANE DIXON, M. D.
While the modern physician has had many opportunities to perfect himself for his profession, he has also been required to give a long period to training, and much more is asked of him today than was of the members of the profession even in the latter part of the last century. One of the highly-trained and skilled men of this learned calling who entered upon his work fully qualified to meet every emergency is Dr. George Lane Dixon, of Burlington, with offices in the Tama Building, and residence on Sunnyside Avenue. He was born at Burlington, Iowa, July 13, 1895, a son of Dr. John Wesley and Anna Van de Vere (Lane) Dixon, he born in Canada and she at Burlington. In 1892 the father came to Burlington, and here he has been engaged in the practice of medicine ever since, being today one of the leaders of his profession. The maternal grandparents, George H. Lane and his wife, were born in Ohio, but became early residents of Burlington, where he was long engaged in the practice of law, and deeply interested in the development of the city during its formative years.
His preliminary education secured in the grammar and high schools of Burlington, Doctor Dixon entered the medical department of the University of Iowa, and was graduated there from in 1922, although he had enrolled in 1913. In June, 1917, he left the university to enlist in the United States army, and he served in France with the French troops, having been transferred to the French army. While with these troops he was awarded the Croix d' Guerre. After the armistice he became a second lieutenant in the motor transport branch of the service, in which he continued until July, 1919, when he sailed for the United States, and was honorably discharged at Des Moines, Iowa, August 29, 1919. Returning to the University of Iowa, he completed his medical course, as already stated, and then for a year specialized in surgery. After three months' practice at Burlington with his father he went to Detroit, Michigan, and held an internship in Harper Hospital, the children's free hospital of Michigan, and in Herman Keefer Hospital, being there in all for fifteen months. In December, 1924, he once more joined his father, and since then the two have been engaged in practice together as physicians and surgeons.
On July 12, 1924, Doctor Dixon married Miss Ellen C. Swanson, who was born in Sweden, a daughter of John and Ingrid Swanson, and they have one daughter, Sally Ann, who was born September 18, 1926, and one son, George Lane, Jr., born October 10, 1928. The First Presbyterian Church of Burlington is Doctor Dixon's religious home, and he is interested in church work. Politics have never interested him in any great degree, and he is an independent in his views. While at the University he made Phi Kappa Psi and Nu Sigma Nu. He belongs to the Des Moines County Medical Society, the Iowa State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. A close student, Doctor Dixon follows the advances made by his profession, especially in diseases of children, and he is building up a wide connection in this line, although not confining his practice to it.
Des Moines Biographies maintained by Robin Schneiderman.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen