[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Milton Griffith Wiggins


Posted By: Harriet Cate Leitch (email)
Date: 12/17/2016 at 21:45:59

Was a Veteran of the Civil War. Resided in Crawford County Since 1869
Dow City, Ia., Sept. 17th – (Special) – Milton Griffith Wiggins was born at Nashville, Holmes County, Ohio, on October 6, 1843, and died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Winnie Crandall, in Dow City, Iowa, on September 16, 1930, lacking only 20 days of reaching his 87th birthday.
On March 23, 1871, at Denison, Iowa, he was united in marriage to Sarah E. Hayes, and to this union was born eight children, one dying in infancy and the oldest son, Willis H. Wiggins, of Omaha, dying on August 24, 1929. The surviving children are, Mildred Wiggins, Mrs. Emma Poitevin, Mrs. Winnie Crandall, and E. G. Wiggins of Dow City; Mrs. Grace McBride of Defiance, Iowa; and Mrs. Flora G. Jackson of Omaha.
Mr. and Mrs. Wiggins celebrated their fifty-ninth wedding anniversary on the 23rd of last March, and Mrs. Wiggins died on May 28th, 1930, leaving her husband disconsolate after so long a time together.
In his early youth Mr. Wiggins attended the public schools at Nashville, and after completing the meager course of study offered at that time, he assisted his father on the farm. In the summer of 1869 his father sold the home at Nashville, and with the family started west in a covered wagon, locating at West Bether, Cedar County, Iowa. On September 8, 1861, he enlisted in the Federal army and on September 30th left for Camp McClelland at Davenport, Iowa, where he remained for about two months. His company was then ordered to Benton Barracks, Missouri, and for nearly four years next succeeding he served his country, having been in numerous bloody battles during that time. He was wounded at Shiloh on April 6, 1862, and after two months in the Division hospital, was returned to his regiment then stationed at Corinth, Mississippi. He was honorably discharged on August 2, 1865.
After the war he returned to Cedar County, Iowa, where he engaged in farming and carpentering (sic). In September 1869, he drove by team to Denison, Iowa, locating on a farm. After two years he located in Denison as a blacksmith, and later on continued this trade in Dow City for many years.
For over fifty-five years before Mrs. Wiggins’ death thy resided on the same corner lot in Dow City. Mr. and Mrs. Wiggins were both vitally interested in the welfare of the Methodist church in Down City and made many sacrifices that the church might be supported. Their home will be remembered by many of the ministers of the church as a place where a cordial welcome was always extended, and many of the ministers and their families were entertained there upon their arrival on the new charge.
Mr. Wiggins was one of the Charter members of the Methodist church in Down City, and at various times held the different offices in the church, serving as trustee, steward, class leader, or Sunday school superintendent during his long term of membership. He was also one of the charter members of the Bud Smith Post, G. A. R., and was the last surviving member of that Post. When the Post disbanded a few years ago, he transferred his membership to the John A. Logan Post at Denison, Iowa, and there now remains only one member of this post, T. J. Shropshire, of Des Moines Iowa.
Mr. Wiggins was a man of strong physique, and after retiring from active business life, continued his activities in taking care of his gardens and other work incidental to the upkeep of his home premises. He was never too busy to stop his own work and lend a helping hand to anyone in need of his assistance, and his children and grandchildren will long remember the many acts of kindness which he has done for them throughout the many years of his activity.
During the early part of the past summer he spent about five weeks at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Eugene Crandall, in order that his daughter, Mildred, might enjoy a vacation trip to California with Rev. and Mrs. L. V. Slocumb. After her return they spent a short time in the old home, but at the beginning of school in September he again returned to the Crandall home in order tat he might have her care while school was in session. He was ever patient and never complaining, and though this past few weeks of his life were spent almost entirely confined to his bed, he seemed to enjoy the companionship of his children, grandchildren, and neighbors who frequently called to visit with him. He was particularly fond of young people, and was always pleased to have them come and sing for him and otherwise entertain him during his illness.
The weeks of his life, even though he was almost entirely helpless, were full of contentment, for he was entirely free from any pain, and his life ebbed away with the smooth, easy breathing of a child falling asleep. He was conscious practically up to his death, and his mind and memory were both clear and unfailing even to the last. He took a keen interest in the everyday things, and his last spoken words were an inquiry about the result of the recent annual conference of the Methodist church at Council Bluffs.
The funeral services will be held at the old home on Thursday, September 18, 1930, Rev. Paul McDude, his pastor, being in charge of the services, assisted by a former pastor, Rev. A. B. Adams of Dunlap.

Source local paper


Crawford Obituaries maintained by Kris Meyer.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]