[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Cyrus Fulkerson (1833-1923)

FULKERSON, STEPHENSON, KEEVER, SANDS

Posted By: Dorian Myhre (email)
Date: 3/10/2022 at 23:28:36

From unknown newspaper

CYRUS FULKERSON

Cyrus Fulkerson was a pioneer of Calhoun county an his name is inseparably woven with its history and the history of Lake City. When he came here in the fall of 1860 the prairies were wild and unimproved and there were many wild animals even elk and deer being plentiful. Wheat brought only twenty-five cents per bushel and flour cost ten dollars for one hundred pounds The nearest mill was in Des Moines. These sturdy pioneers endured extreme hardships and many difficulties, however they wrought well, laying foundation for the wonderful development and progress that has been made in this section of Iowa. No one could foresee that this wet land would become the most productive of soils and the roads at time almost impassable would be the best graveled roads in the state. This man and others had full confidence and diligently applied themselves to the tasks at hand, an he was permitted to live to see this remarkable transformation and the very metropolis of the county brought to his door.

Cyrus Fulkerson was born in Montour county, Penn., August 30, 1833, and died here on the home place Nov. 1, 1923, aged 90 years, 2 months, and 2 days. His mother died when he was two or three days old and he was reared to manhood by an uncle. When he was seven the families moved to Elkhart, Indiana, where he received a common school education and where for many years he was a manufacturer of shingles.

In 1860 he set out from Elkhart, Ind., with two yoke of oxen and drove through Jackson township, Calhoun county, Iowa, where he had previously purchased land. He spent the winter of '60-'61 near the 'Coon river. He purchased a shingle machine and became identified with the industrial interests of the community.

On Sept 15, 1861, he married Miss Sarah E. Stephenson who lived with her mother in Green [sic] county. They immediately settled on the farm that is now a part of Lake City, paying six dollars an acre for it. They lived for several years in a log cabin. The large cottonwood tree that stands on North Illinois street he planted when he first came here, and near it he built a shingle mill. he also burnt lime and made brick. In 1882 forty acres, now known as Fulkerson Addition, were divided into city lots.

Into this home came ten children of whom seven are living George H., William, C. Perry, and Walter Scott of Lake City, Cyrus B. of Adel, Iowa, Mrs. Vinnie Bell Keever, of Northfield, Minn., and Mrs. Mary Edna Sands of Lake City. There are also living nineteen grandchildren and nineteen great grandchildren.

It was nearly fifty years ago when they built on this very spot where his wife died in November, 1906, and now he has gone. For many months he has sat by the window and looked out on the familiar surroundings and the tree that he has seen grow into their present size.

At his last birthday there was a great family gathering, thirty-two being present. He had looked forward to the occasion with eager anticipation an was exceedingly delighted. It was a great joy to him and yet he seemed to realize that it was the last mile-stone along his earthly pathway. He had declined since then, however he had been up and around until last Sunday night. Old age had taken his strength and at high noon on Thursday he extended his hand and pointed upward, and then fell asleep. The spirit of Cyrus Fulkerson had gone to the God who gave it.

The funeral service was held at the home on Saturday afternoon, conducted by Dr. M. D. Bush of the Methodist Church. Mrs. D. W. McCrary, Mrs. O. M. Woodward, F. W. Newendorp and Dr. W. E. McCrary sang, accompanied by Mrs. M. D. Bush. Interment was in the Lake City cemetery.

Those from out of town who attended the funeral were Mrs. Vinnie Keever, of Northfield, Minn., C. P. Fulkerson, of Adel, Charles Fulkerson, Hazel and Herchel Kettels, of Des Moines, Henry Stevenson and family, Mrs. Mary Lake and daughter, of Churdan, Mrs. Ellen Pulley and daughter, of Adaza, Mrs. Charles Cochran and Wm. Richey, of Rockwell City.


 

Calhoun Obituaries maintained by Karon S. Valeu.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]