WILSON, George W.
WILSON, RIDDLE, HOAG
Posted By: K. Kittleson
Date: 5/24/2012 at 01:53:41
GEORGE W. WILSON, a leading citizen of Lincoln township, Black Hawk County, and one of its most prominent farmers, resides upon his well improved farm of 200 acres in section 32. He was born in Franklin, Johnson County, Indiana, and is a son of James and Nancy E. (Hayden) Wilson.
James Wilson was born in Indiana, and his wife in Kentucky. The grandfather, John Wilson, was born in Pennsylvania, and was a son of John Wilson, who came to America with the English Army in Revolutionary days, and finally settled in Pennsylvania, where he died.
His son John married Jane Bramwell, of Englísh parentage, and they had the following children: Nathaniel, James, Joseph, John, Jordan, Richard, Mary, Isabel, Susan and Sarah.
James Wilson was a carpenter by trade, which he followed in Indiana until he was 45 years old, when he moved to Iowa, and in 1851 purchased a quarter section in Waterloo township. This he sold in 1855 and realized enough by its sale to buy a section, the price having advanced from $1.25 to $5 per acre. With this capital, Mr. Wilson invested judiciously and became a man of large means. His death occurred in 1876, at the age of 60 years, two years after he settled permanently in the county. He was a Universalist in his religious belief. James Wilson was twice married, six children being to his first union. His second marriage was to Nancy E. Hayden, and they had the following children: Florence, Nathaniel, Kate, Hampton T., George W., Carrie, W. Walter, Richard L. and Maude. Mr. Wilson joined the Masonic fraternity at Franklin, Indiana, and was always an active member of the organization.
George W. Wilson came to Iowa in 1874, and his mental training was obtained in the public schools of Indiana and Iowa. He remained upon the home property throughout his youth and then decided to purchase it and it has been his home all his life, with the exception of one year. Mr. Wilson has one of the most productive farms in Black Hawk county, which is attributable to his excellent management. He has made the substantial improvements upon it, and carries on extensive operations, not only producing great crops but much excellent stock.
On December 24, 1885, Mr. Wilson was married to Lillie W. Hoag, who is a daughter of Henry and Margaret (Riddle) Hoag, the former of whom was born in Illinois, and the latter in Pennsylvania. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson have four children, namely: H. Leland, Hazel P., J. Lyman and Charles E. H. The family are consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Politically, the father is a Republican; fraternally, he is a member of Coin Lodge, No. 394, A. F. & A. M., of Reinbeck, Iowa. Mrs. Wilson is a member of the Order of the Eastern Star.
The father of Mrs. Wilson, Henry Hoag, was born May 7, 1839, in Stephenson County, Illinois, and was a son of John and Margaret Hoag. As far back was the family records go, the Hoags were farmers and Methodists. Henry Hoag died in 1901. He came to Iowa in 1870, and successfully followed farming in Lincoln township, Black Hawk county, thereafter.
He married Margaret Riddle, who was born in 1842, in Center County, Pennsylvania, and is a daughter of Matthew and Eliza Riddle, both Pennsylvanians. The children of Mr. and Mrs. Hoag were as follows: Lillie W., Charles S., Morris W., Nina S., Edward H., Olive E., Lotis J., Grace G., and Willis D. In religious belief, Mrs. Hoag is a Presbyterian.
Both the Hoag and Wilson families are prominent in Black Hawk County.
HISTORY OF BLACK HAWK COUNTY, page 631
(Contributed to IaGenWeb by Carl Wilson)
Black Hawk Biographies maintained by Kermit Kittleson.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen