[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

J. M. Thomas Burned (1908)

THOMAS, TAYLOR, FURGUSON, WATTLES, RING

Posted By: Ken Akers (email)
Date: 12/25/2017 at 18:31:38

Audubon County Journal (IA)
Thursday, Aug. 20, 1908, pg. 8

J. M. Thomas Burned,,

On Thursday morning in Aztec (NM)
occurred an accident that will bring
quick sympathy from one and all.
J. M. Thomas, who lives in the upper
part of his store building, star-
ted to light the kitchen fire with
kerosene and by mistake got gaso-
line. There were two pint jars under
the table, one containing a
small amount of kerosene and the
other a like amount of gasoline,
which had been used for cleaning
clothes. The fire that burst out completely
enveloped Mr. Thomas who
with rare presence of mind rushed
with the blazing jar to the back
door and attempted to throw it out.
Then he ran out the front way himself,
although his own chances to
smother the flames were greater
had he not run out. Sam Thomas
saw his brother rush from the front
stairs and catching up a horse
blanket, Sam rushed to his aid,
smothering the flames, but not
until the clothing had been burned
from the brave man. Drs. Taylor
and Ferguson were called and
found the burn sustained by Mr.
Thomas very serious. His hands
were both badly burned. He is
suffering intense agony. He will
receive every care that skilful and
loving hands can administer and
the entire community, who admire
and respect Mac Thomas, will hope
for his speedy recovery.

Fire started in the kitchen and
hall way of the building, but this
was put out by H. S. Wattles, who
had not yet arisen from bed when
the accident happened.--San Juan (County)
Index (NM), Aug. 13, 1908.

Note: Parents of John M. "Mack" Thomas were Secrest Thomas and Elizabeth Ring. J.M. was married to Nettie Wattles.

Audubon County Journal (IA), August 20, 1908
 

Audubon Documents maintained by Cheryl Siebrass.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]